Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Reminds me of a lesson I learned many, many years ago. My wife, our 6 week old daughter, our black lab and I were on our way to lake Pillsbury in Northern CA. It was raining and getting dark when we finally neared the Lake. As we had never been there before I had to make a decision to go right or left at a Y in the road. The sign pointed to Lake Pillsbury in both directions. At this time my Dodge van was low on gas. I decided to go to the right. We drove what seemed like hours and the gas gauge neared empty. Visions of stalling out on a two lane road in the middle of nowhere, in the dark with no gas available and a new baby in the van had me sweating bullets (note this was before cell phones). Just about the time the old van was about ready to quit we rounded a corner and there in the mist was the glow from a single Shell gas pump at a little store. I did not care what the cost of the gas was and I was so excited that I almost hugged the guy that ran the place. Later I found that if I would have gone left at the Y the campground was about a half mile down the road. For many years after that I carried a 5 gallon gas can with us when we went on the road. To this day I will not let my gas gauge get past without filling up.

2008 Flagstaff 831FKSS
1997 Ram 2500 4X4 360 Gasser
Wife Candice, two dogs
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
"Exit Now" is a great book we bought as we travel the interstates. Shows where the stations are by exit numbers, and more importantly, the "RV friendly" stations which DO NOT have tight turns to get into or out of the station....
Of course, they also list the travel plazas, food RV dump and the such...

wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
KyDan, if you are not a pro writer you should be! For you to be able to take something as innocuous and mundane (obviously not to you at the time) as almost running out of gas in the middle of nowhere and being stuck into a page turner that I read twice just to take in the scene that you vividly painted with your prose is amazing! You have a real talent there and I hope you are
putting it to good use.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Site Team
Sounds like we have ALL done it!! For me it was the distraction of listening to an audio book across wyoming; not a place with frequent stops. Yep, the chime! Panic! Where are we? Where is the next town? Reduced the speed, coasted down the hills, we made it but just barely. Like you, all I had was the 1 gallon gas can for the Honda generator . . . . Sometimes you get lucky.
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
Great story... I wonder if anyone would like to volunteer their "Pulling Out Checklist" to a newbie. I have been building my own a little at a time but I'm sure seasoned haulers will have things I haven't even imagined. We will be pulling a 5th and our maiden voyage will be probably late March when we get above freezing here in MD.
John & Deej
Bradenton, FL
2003 GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 litre TurboDiesel
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th
FreeWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
In Oct. we were heading to BC from Ont. I had almost 3/4 tank of gas at Sault Saint Marie and dicided to get gas at the next town. Unkown to me the next town was over 250 k away, 30 K from Wawa my low gas display came on. I did not want to run out of gas and pulled into a construction area. Pulled out the cell phone to call CAA and no service. Had to walk 500m and climb a high bank to get one bar. Called CAA and had gas in 45min. Now keep a 5gal can. The driver from Caa said that they receive many calls for not gas,even motorcycles. I will get gas in Wawa on the way home.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
i live in sault ste. marie and if you are towing i would never leave sault ste. marie without filling up prior to going up to wawa. there are lots of very large hills but it is a beautiful scenic drive along the shore of superior. if you are ever in the soo and need help let me know. i also work as a mechanic at the local gm dealer.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
I now know that when in the Sault you get gas now matter how much is in the tank. There is a gas station at Montreal River. The entrance is on a steep hill and the the entrace is marked with a handmade sign about 1 foot by 1 foot. By the time i saw the sign it was too late to stop. The CAA driver also informed me that the owner of the service station is opened when he feels like it. If it is a nice day and the business is slow he shuts down and goes fishing. Because he is opened the gas stations in the Sault and Wawa cannot say they are the last gas for a x number of miles.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #19
That was a great story in really well written, thanks for sharing. Although we’ve never run out of gas, we had a close call on a tour of the Southwest a few years back. Back then gas was at an all time high and some gas stations would actually run out of fuel before they received another delivery.
At that time my truck was a 2002 Dodge with an 8 liter, V10 gas engine. When towing the fifth wheel I would only get 5.5 to 6.5 MPG. You can burn a lot of fuel quickly at 6.0 MPG. On this trip I had driven farther than I normally do without filling up, but I knew that a gas station was just 10 miles ahead. Surprise, that station was out of fuel and the next services were 30 miles farther down the highway. I was pretty sure I had enough gas to get there but I didn’t want to chance it. There was one other gas station just down the road but it had a 10 foot canopy over the pumps. We ended up unhitching from the fifth wheel and I left it and my wife behind at one station while I drove the truck to the other station with the low canopy and filled up.
There are three valuable tools I have with me whenever we travel with our fifth wheel, a GPS, a Woodall’s Campground Directory, and the book called The Next Exit.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
Now keep a 5gal can. The driver from Caa said that they receive many calls for not gas,even motorcycles. I will get gas in Wawa on the way home.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer

how many litres might that be
terry you wrote in great canandien
fomer cdn

liven life in east TN and wherever my
2011georgetown280ve, and
2016 fordexplorer and hemi RAM
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote