Old 11-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #11

We just went Denver to Florida, thru Amarillo, Dallas, to Slidell, LA, Gainesville, FL. Each night was in the 20's- mid 30 degree range, but no precipitation. Ditto on long stretches of very isolated areas. Stay as far south as possible and enjoy the journey.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue river View Post
We just went Denver to Florida, thru Amarillo, Dallas, to Slidell, LA, Gainesville, FL. Each night was in the 20's- mid 30 degree range, but no precipitation. Ditto on long stretches of very isolated areas. Stay as far south as possible and enjoy the journey.
Did you take 281 from Amarillo to dallas? I have tried to find an easy way through Fort Worth / Dallas but haven't found it yet, have tried taking 114 to bypass Fort Worth but it drops you into dallas, any others ways you have tried? How about that stretch of 10 through Lake Charles and outside of Lafayette, possibly the worst stretch of interstate I've encountered! I live in covington louisiana.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwilliams808 View Post
Did you take 281 from Amarillo to dallas? I have tried to find an easy way through Fort Worth / Dallas but haven't found it yet, have tried taking 114 to bypass Fort Worth but it drops you into dallas, any others ways you have tried? How about that stretch of 10 through Lake Charles and outside of Lafayette, possibly the worst stretch of interstate I've encountered! I live in covington louisiana.
If you'll take 82 at Henrietta it will take you to Texarkana.
Out of Texarkana you can go north (doesn't make much since) back up to I40 in Little Rock or South to Shreveport, out of there is I20 or head further south to Lafayette and I10.

There are always lots and lots of different options for getting from here to there.

I think Google Maps has become my favorite at playing with and figuring out routes.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #14

Took 287 from Amarillo to Dallas. We have a Garmin Nuvi (purchased before the TT) & it sent us thru Dallas on 114, to I-35, then to 20 to I49 S to 10/12/59/10. Doesn't adjust for our rig, or reading minds, 😆 DH always programs for shortest distance.... Interesting first trip in this region on Interstates of widely varying quality. Bobby Jindal brags about cutting taxes.....hmmmm. We stayed at La Quinta Inns on our way down, doing 450 miles per day, DH is terrible about sharing driving, and nights were cold, so setting up & taking down every night was just one more thing. If you are not on a really tight schedule why not stay south on 10?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #15

3 seasons ago, returning to Atlanta via Amarillo, stuck in ICE STORM!
Make yourself a daily plan and then add shortened alternatives in terms of miles. We had an rv park marked but not reserved. When the weather began to turn, we called ahead and paid our spot in advance with a two night option.
Stayed 2 nights!!
Play it safe. Sometimes places seem close but in weather, not so close! 😩
Old 12-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #16

Made it to Pahrump NV from east TN covered 2485 miles via I 20 to I 10 then to 90 into Las Vegas. No problems at all just long pull. We did our layovers in Cracker Barrels getting there just at dark, was never told no at any of them of course we ate two meals with them.

2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Days Camping 2014-96, 2015-130, 2016-126, 2017-42 and counting
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas