Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfos View Post
I have been just as frustrated. Blowouts, toilet stopped up, toilet smells , ants, stuck in ice storm, stuck in mud, hours and hours of driving, water coming in slides, water coming out under sink, broken black tank handle, can't wait to go again! I love having all my conveniences with me and my dogs get to travel with us. My friends and I love to tell our stories!

Those are the things we look back on and laugh about....life's an adventure.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:22 AM   #12

Without knowing exactly why your tires blew out and you were turned away from campgrounds its hard to say...but it does sound like a fluke. On a percentage basis it would seem that your experiences have been good 90% of the time and you've created some great memories with the family. So don't give up especially since now you have new tires!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Engineer of Crazy Train

We towed 3500 miles in 2 weeks last year for 2 Roller Coaster events. This was done with the Liberty. It wasn't perfect, as the Liberty didn't like the Charlotte heat. She got a fan change when we got back.

Blowouts occur because of tire age, tire maintenance (running on low pressure, below the recommended levels), damage from hitting curbs and pot holes, overspeeding (rated at 65 mph), over their capacity, or a combination of the above.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #14

" now I am ready to call it quits. Please help me remember why this is so great."

Because it is still a better day than working !
As my friend always says ! (A country boy that grew up raisin hogs!"). "This ain't so bad ! It's better than hitting hogs in the head with a sledge hammer !"
Let the pain die down, you will be ready to hit the road again !
Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJH View Post
My family of 5 has had a 5th wheel camper for about 4 years. We've taken several 300-400 mile trips. Those trips were all very successful. We are currently on our way home from our first really long trip. A 2 week, 2,500 mile trip which included crossing a mountain range to get to an ocean.

I am ready to sell the camper the minute we pull in the drive way. We have blown all four tires at different times and spend the equivalent of an entire day waiting for road side assistance. We've been invaded by ants, turned away from campsites where we had confirmed reservations, been flooded out and the list goes on and on. Is this a fluke or is this just how long camping trips go? Because right now I am ready to call it quits. Please help me remember why this is so great.
You asked for encouragement and you got it... and how! I hope your spirits are buoyed... as others have mentioned, give it a little time and you'll want to go back out again. Give it a little MORE time and your woes will become great stories!

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #16

OH MY!

and Gulp! I wanted to see what it was like when all is Not well. So not willing to look the other way and pretend ... I have been encouraged by you all who have been tried and tested and have gotten back on the horse. Bravo!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #17

There's a pretty famous saying "$*** happens". We live by it. Haha. We usually do one big trip a year and several smaller local trips throughout the year and we plan for mishaps. It just happens when driving/towing a house down the road. But, it doesn't get us down or take away the great memories we had on the trip. It gives us a great story to tell at the campfire the following year!!! Get everything fixed up and keep at it....you'd regret leaving it behind.

My pops coach on our last trip. Good times.

Andrew

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Do you still have the 2009 Sandpieper 5 wheel? If so how old/new were the Tires before your Big trip? Youroo!!
this i would also like to know?
Old 07-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #19

Call Us the Rain Makers

Our major bad experiences in recent camping as been weather related. For the last 2 years of camping, it has rained/stormed, either while on the road, or while we're set up. To our friends, we're jinxed, but we still go out and enjoy the places, people and things we encounter and love every moment the two of us are together enjoying seeing this beautiful country and the people that share this lifestyle. Needless to say, we get tired of it, but we carry raincoats and boots.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJH View Post
My family of 5 has had a 5th wheel camper for about 4 years. We've taken several 300-400 mile trips. Those trips were all very successful. We are currently on our way home from our first really long trip. A 2 week, 2,500 mile trip which included crossing a mountain range to get to an ocean.

I am ready to sell the camper the minute we pull in the drive way. We have blown all four tires at different times and spend the equivalent of an entire day waiting for road side assistance. We've been invaded by ants, turned away from campsites where we had confirmed reservations, been flooded out and the list goes on and on. Is this a fluke or is this just how long camping trips go? Because right now I am ready to call it quits. Please help me remember why this is so great.

What I try to do is fix some things before they happen, a TPMS is the first thing every camper should have on your tires, it will give you a heads up on your tires. Next is a good surge surpressor. I have a water pressure regulator. Ants come from wherever, if they get bad we put out bait for them. No one can do anything about the weather. I like to sleep when it's raining, I like snow. I wish it had rained more on this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel