Old 07-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #21

You have 4 new tires now, get some bug spray and go for it, stuff happens. After the second blowout I would have replaced the rest of the tires. Don't give up. Life is an Adventure, go for it

40 Gal TransferFlow fuel tank
Amateur Radio W5CI AR-0043-29 2016 Days Camping 50
2017 Days Camping 23
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
Old Camping Squid

As everyone already said, this will be a great story next year, Don't try to take life seriously... we will not survive it! Enjoy the venture.
We all want to know how old the tires are? This is not to pick on you, if you have newer tires we want to know what you had so we can triple, double check ours.
Happy Camping

2005 Club Car President
2002 Ezgo Limo, 2001 Ezgo
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJH View Post
My family of 5 has had a 5th wheel camper for about 4 years. We've taken several 300-400 mile trips. Those trips were all very successful. We are currently on our way home from our first really long trip. A 2 week, 2,500 mile trip which included crossing a mountain range to get to an ocean.

I am ready to sell the camper the minute we pull in the drive way. We have blown all four tires at different times and spend the equivalent of an entire day waiting for road side assistance. We've been invaded by ants, turned away from campsites where we had confirmed reservations, been flooded out and the list goes on and on. Is this a fluke or is this just how long camping trips go? Because right now I am ready to call it quits. Please help me remember why this is so great.
Been on the road fulling timing it and i've been flooded in florida ,walk out of the camper into 6" of water for a couple weeks . been stung by fire ants , but other then that it's been a blast .
Lets us know what campsite refused your reservations I'll make sure to never use them
Old 07-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJH View Post
My family of 5 has had a 5th wheel camper for about 4 years. We've taken several 300-400 mile trips. Those trips were all very successful. We are currently on our way home from our first really long trip. A 2 week, 2,500 mile trip which included crossing a mountain range to get to an ocean.
Does not sound like the tires died from over use. I have to wonder about the age of the tires being a factor. Tires worry me.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #25

Tires no longer worry me after two blowouts in the past 12 months.

Why is that? Because I upgraded from 15 inch wheels to 16" wheels and installed Load Range E light truck tires. Tires have slightly better capacity than the ST tires that were on there and they are rated for 117mph.

I will never go back to ST tires.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #26

The first thing I installed was TST 507 TPMS. No problem with tires. I carry a air compressor and I carry a generator so I'll have a/c, some things you can't control like the weather, fire ants, bugs that bite. I try to make each trip a adventure and try to learn from my mistakes. Mistake number 1 this time not have to shut off alarm downstairs in fifth wheel in dark and half asleep, I fell and busted a finger open. It could have been worse it could have been my head. I can't wait to get started on my next trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #27

Thanks to everyone who provided words of encouragement. Even just a few days later it's seeming easier to remember the joys of camping.

There have been a couple of questions about the tires. The tires we started the trip with were the same tires the camper had when we purchased it. They looked good-like they had a lot of life left in them. We even took the camper into our local Camper dealership before our trip to have it checked over and they said the tires looked good.

Based on this experience, we will definitely spring for new tires before the next long road trip especially if it's been a few years.

We also learned that changes in temperature, elevation,and rough roads may have also had impact. There isn't much we can do about these factors but we will definitely be more diligent checked tires at every stop. Additionally, the quality of tires varies widely. We will definitely seek the advise of a tire expert before purchasing camper tires in the future.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #28

Mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Western Colorado - a Camper's Paradise
johnbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #29

Sure your not really Clark Griswold? If so remember they even mad a sequel. Just do your homework on tires and choose good ones, there is plenty of info to be found about choices. Later you will look back and say...Remember the trip from Hell, we've come a long way since then

Tags
5th wheel