Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Encouragement Needed

My family of 5 has had a 5th wheel camper for about 4 years. We've taken several 300-400 mile trips. Those trips were all very successful. We are currently on our way home from our first really long trip. A 2 week, 2,500 mile trip which included crossing a mountain range to get to an ocean.

I am ready to sell the camper the minute we pull in the drive way. We have blown all four tires at different times and spend the equivalent of an entire day waiting for road side assistance. We've been invaded by ants, turned away from campsites where we had confirmed reservations, been flooded out and the list goes on and on. Is this a fluke or is this just how long camping trips go? Because right now I am ready to call it quits. Please help me remember why this is so great.
CHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Our last trip wasn't quite that bad. But it was bad. The TV & TT are both still in the shop getting repaired. Thankful we were able to limp home before putting them in for repairs. My wife was feeling the same as you right now. I just told her that today this sucks. A year from now, it's gonna be a real good story. We've been back home a bit over three weeks, and we are both chomping at the bit to get back on the road.

After a bit of rest, I suspect these feelings of throwing in the towel will pass. It's not all about good times. It's also about the adventure. You just had one.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #3

My two cents...chalk it up to Murphy hanging around a little too long and wearing out his welcome...take the lessons learned and move forward - what can you learn from it? Remember, if you keep at it and master it (like anything else in life) this will be water under the bridge in a year and a great experience to share with some future newby's!
2014 2500HD Duramax Crew 4WD
2015 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
JnScattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJH View Post
My family of 5 has had a 5th wheel camper for about 4 years. We've taken several 300-400 mile trips. Those trips were all very successful. We are currently on our way home from our first really long trip. A 2 week, 2,500 mile trip which included crossing a mountain range to get to an ocean.

I am ready to sell the camper the minute we pull in the drive way. We have blown all four tires at different times and spend the equivalent of an entire day waiting for road side assistance. We've been invaded by ants, turned away from campsites where we had confirmed reservations, been flooded out and the list goes on and on. Is this a fluke or is this just how long camping trips go? Because right now I am ready to call it quits. Please help me remember why this is so great.
Do you still have the 2009 Sandpieper 5 wheel? If so how old/new were the Tires before your Big trip? Youroo!!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #5

Yep, been there, done that. We are on our fifth RV and at least one trip in each one had me so frustrated I was where you are. Ready to sell it and use motels. I still say RVs are like horses; just something to throw money at for a few moments of pleasure. But we always got past the particular problem and now we are retired and don't know what we would do without one. We have wonderful friends all over that we met when RVing and can't wait until we can enjoy another adventure with them. Hang in there!! It will be a good story around the campfire..... next year
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

I have been just as frustrated. Blowouts, toilet stopped up, toilet smells , ants, stuck in ice storm, stuck in mud, hours and hours of driving, water coming in slides, water coming out under sink, broken black tank handle, can't wait to go again! I love having all my conveniences with me and my dogs get to travel with us. My friends and I love to tell our stories!
bfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We are going away this weekend with a sick truck. If Dr Hook brings us home so be it. The truck goes in next week for major surgery.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
2015 sunseeker 3050

uh oh planning our first big trip out west and down the coast. Are you saying I should bring 2 bottles of aspirin
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
uh oh planning our first big trip out west and down the coast. Are you saying I should bring 2 bottles of aspirin
LOL. And chase 'em with Mr Daniels....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
2015 sunseeker 3050

capt morgan or maybe a Hamms
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfos View Post
I have been just as frustrated. Blowouts, toilet stopped up, toilet smells , ants, stuck in ice storm, stuck in mud, hours and hours of driving, water coming in slides, water coming out under sink, broken black tank handle, can't wait to go again! I love having all my conveniences with me and my dogs get to travel with us. My friends and I love to tell our stories!

Those are the things we look back on and laugh about....life's an adventure.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:22 AM   #12

Without knowing exactly why your tires blew out and you were turned away from campgrounds its hard to say...but it does sound like a fluke. On a percentage basis it would seem that your experiences have been good 90% of the time and you've created some great memories with the family. So don't give up especially since now you have new tires!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Engineer of Crazy Train

We towed 3500 miles in 2 weeks last year for 2 Roller Coaster events. This was done with the Liberty. It wasn't perfect, as the Liberty didn't like the Charlotte heat. She got a fan change when we got back.

Blowouts occur because of tire age, tire maintenance (running on low pressure, below the recommended levels), damage from hitting curbs and pot holes, overspeeding (rated at 65 mph), over their capacity, or a combination of the above.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #14

" now I am ready to call it quits. Please help me remember why this is so great."

Because it is still a better day than working !
As my friend always says ! (A country boy that grew up raisin hogs!"). "This ain't so bad ! It's better than hitting hogs in the head with a sledge hammer !"
Let the pain die down, you will be ready to hit the road again !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:

You asked for encouragement and you got it... and how! I hope your spirits are buoyed... as others have mentioned, give it a little time and you'll want to go back out again. Give it a little MORE time and your woes will become great stories!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #16

OH MY!

and Gulp! I wanted to see what it was like when all is Not well. So not willing to look the other way and pretend ... I have been encouraged by you all who have been tried and tested and have gotten back on the horse. Bravo!
Camp Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #17

There's a pretty famous saying "$*** happens". We live by it. Haha. We usually do one big trip a year and several smaller local trips throughout the year and we plan for mishaps. It just happens when driving/towing a house down the road. But, it doesn't get us down or take away the great memories we had on the trip. It gives us a great story to tell at the campfire the following year!!! Get everything fixed up and keep at it....you'd regret leaving it behind.

My pops coach on our last trip. Good times.

Andrew

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Do you still have the 2009 Sandpieper 5 wheel? If so how old/new were the Tires before your Big trip? Youroo!!
this i would also like to know?
Old 07-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #19

Call Us the Rain Makers

Our major bad experiences in recent camping as been weather related. For the last 2 years of camping, it has rained/stormed, either while on the road, or while we're set up. To our friends, we're jinxed, but we still go out and enjoy the places, people and things we encounter and love every moment the two of us are together enjoying seeing this beautiful country and the people that share this lifestyle. Needless to say, we get tired of it, but we carry raincoats and boots.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #20

Quote:

What I try to do is fix some things before they happen, a TPMS is the first thing every camper should have on your tires, it will give you a heads up on your tires. Next is a good surge surpressor. I have a water pressure regulator. Ants come from wherever, if they get bad we put out bait for them. No one can do anything about the weather. I like to sleep when it's raining, I like snow. I wish it had rained more on this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel