Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

So we left Mammoth Cave National Park yesterday morning heading south on I65 toward Birmingham. After a few miles on the highway, a guy flags me down and we pull over right away on the shoulder. He said one of my hubs was smoking and he continued down the road, he was a fellow RVer. I felt all the hubs and they were warm, but not hot, assume this is normal. As I returned to speed, I noticed the fresh water drain (was still draining from leaving camp) was hitting the road and at speed it did kind of look like smoke...first crisis averted. Later in the day, we narrowly miss a pallet that was laying right in the middle of the highway, but that gets your heart pumping. A couple hours later, another pallet! This one I couldn't avoid and ran right over the side of it right after a semi hit it also. Semi shredded a tire so I pull off immediately to check my damage...nothing! I thought for sure it would have done something either under my Armada or the trailer. Talk about feeling lucky! The beer tasted especially good once we finally reached Oak Mountain State Park just south of Birmingham...stressful day!

That's my little story...currently in Florala State Park and will be in Destin tomorrow. I hope there's no more stories to share.

One last thing...interesting looking ducks for visitors to the campsite this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-308545082.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	28246   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-33370755.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	28247  
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
H2oski

You in my neck of the woods. They have some nice large mouth bass in Florala. I'm about 40 miles from there. Enjoy your trip and if you need anything while your in this area just let me know.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Yep, if I were you I'd be glad to be in for the evening Enjoy Destin, I've never gotten there, but still want to go!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Phew! Harrowing. Take a few deep breaths, remind yourself this is not the norm, let the adrenaline seep away. Get a good night's sleep. Wake up tomorrow to a new and perfect day.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #5

Wow what a day...probably need more than one beer!
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve View Post
So we left Mammoth Cave National Park yesterday morning heading south on I65 toward Birmingham. After a few miles on the highway, a guy flags me down and we pull over right away on the shoulder. He said one of my hubs was smoking and he continued down the road, he was a fellow RVer. I felt all the hubs and they were warm, but not hot, assume this is normal. As I returned to speed, I noticed the fresh water drain (was still draining from leaving camp) was hitting the road and at speed it did kind of look like smoke...first crisis averted. Later in the day, we narrowly miss a pallet that was laying right in the middle of the highway, but that gets your heart pumping. A couple hours later, another pallet! This one I couldn't avoid and ran right over the side of it right after a semi hit it also. Semi shredded a tire so I pull off immediately to check my damage...nothing! I thought for sure it would have done something either under my Armada or the trailer. Talk about feeling lucky! The beer tasted especially good once we finally reached Oak Mountain State Park just south of Birmingham...stressful day!

That's my little story...currently in Florala State Park and will be in Destin tomorrow. I hope there's no more stories to share.

One last thing...interesting looking ducks for visitors to the campsite this afternoon.
Wow. That is a full day.

You mention you pull with an armada? How well does it do for you? We have a 2012 platinum pulling our freedom express 292 BHDS.

Wish I had a bigger truck.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #7

Take DW to Silver Sands Outlet Mall in Destin. Look for a b'fast restaurant called The Cracked Egg. When you see the WHITE sand beach, keep in mind, it isn't sand! It's quartz that have been pummeled into that which resembles sand. We used to live in Navarre Beach.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
You in my neck of the woods. They have some nice large mouth bass in Florala. I'm about 40 miles from there. Enjoy your trip and if you need anything while your in this area just let me know.
Thanks, just passing through for one night but really enjoyed this park last night....soooo quiet!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by burati1 View Post

Wow. That is a full day.

You mention you pull with an armada? How well does it do for you? We have a 2012 platinum pulling our freedom express 292 BHDS.

Wish I had a bigger truck.
My Armada does great, no complaints. Trailer fully loaded is right around 8100 lbs, so I'm roughly 1000 below my capacity. I drive a lot for my sales job so a larger truck just doesn't make sense for me. (actually neither does the Armada at 14.5 mpg in the city, but what can you do?)
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
Take DW to Silver Sands Outlet Mall in Destin. Look for a b'fast restaurant called The Cracked Egg. When you see the WHITE sand beach, keep in mind, it isn't sand! It's quartz that have been pummeled into that which resembles sand. We used to live in Navarre Beach.
Oh, we went to the outlet mall last fall, in fact, I'm pretty sure we were overweight headed home with the damage she did there! :-( Is it The Broken Egg you're talking about?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve View Post

My Armada does great, no complaints. Trailer fully loaded is right around 8100 lbs, so I'm roughly 1000 below my capacity. I drive a lot for my sales job so a larger truck just doesn't make sense for me. (actually neither does the Armada at 14.5 mpg in the city, but what can you do?)
Good to hear. I guess I'm just nervous with it as I can definitely feel that trailer behind me when towing fully loaded.