Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

Finally Going All The Way U.P.

We have always loved and traveled to the U.P. of Michigan. We have wanted to head to Copper Harbor and the Porcupine Mountains for a decade or more, but never found ourselves going that far when the kids were young.

Since buying our Sunseeker last year we have been doing a lot of exploring and now it is time to do this thing. We're heading out on a long awaited exploration next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UPtrip.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	82440  
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

So does this trip around Lake Mich.this time include (2 or 4) people? I just need to know so I can tell (Elind) on how many to expect! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

LOL... 2 adults and a teen (youngest son).
Old 07-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

Going to UP

Like you, we love the UP and have camped there a lot. If you have the time and inclination, I would take the National Park boat from Houghton to Rock Harbor on Isle Royale. Isle Royale is a beautiful place. No motorized vehicles on the island so, unless you have camping gear you can carry on your back, the only place to stay is the lodge at Rock Harbor, and the prices there will scare the dickens out of you. But Isle Royale is definitely worth visiting, even if only for a day.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
Like you, we love the UP and have camped there a lot. If you have the time and inclination, I would take the National Park boat from Houghton to Rock Harbor on Isle Royale. Isle Royale is a beautiful place. No motorized vehicles on the island so, unless you have camping gear you can carry on your back, the only place to stay is the lodge at Rock Harbor, and the prices there will scare the dickens out of you. But Isle Royale is definitely worth visiting, even if only for a day.

Kdot
Much appreciated. We might have to make another trip for that one, but we'll be sure to check it out.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

Enjoy your travels! It is truly God's country up there...

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #7

Thanks to DocsDad and kdot for your comments. We are watching for suggested trips and this one sounds great.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #8

Porcupine Mountain State park and Lake of the Clouds are said to be amazing. We have a site directly on Lake Superior. We'll also be at Houghton City RV park (FHU) which will be ideal for riding bikes in town and along the Portage Canal and we're going to run up to Copper Harbor simply to breathe it all in.

If you do get up there you can't go wrong with Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore too.

We like St. Ignace as it is slightly less touristy than the Mackinaw side. Our Straits State Park site looks out toward the bridge. As anyone knows that has crossed that bridge, something simply changes "within". God's country for sure.

There will be many other sites to see along the way but those are the bullet points of this particular trip.

See you on the road.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

DocsDad, when are you going to make it to U.P.? I live on US 41 outside of Chassell (Houghton area) and if you need info stop in or call. Last time Youroo came up this way he wanted to dump off his sick dogs and his starving kids at my place. That week I changed my address.
But you can stop in anytime if I'm not camping anywhere.
Just today the tourist council added an app for Houghton & Keweenaw counties attractions. When I find the app I'll post it. Other wise contact me, I've worked the four counties around here for 40 yrs doing route sales for Frito Lay.
So welcome to the Copper Country.
Ed (elind)

ps The porkies may be in black fly season right now. We are camping out at our cottage north of Lanse, Mi. on Lake Superior and it's been bad the last couple of days
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Love the Porkies. Have done overnight circle hikes and wilderness camped on Lake Superior and Lake in the Clouds!!
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
DocsDad, when are you going to make it to U.P.? I live on US 41 outside of Chassell (Houghton area) and if you need info stop in or call. Last time Youroo came up this way he wanted to dump off his sick dogs and his starving kids at my place. That week I changed my address.
But you can stop in anytime if I'm not camping anywhere.
Just today the tourist council added an app for Houghton & Keweenaw counties attractions. When I find the app I'll post it. Other wise contact me, I've worked the four counties around here for 40 yrs doing route sales for Frito Lay.
So welcome to the Copper Country.
Ed (elind)

ps The porkies may be in black fly season right now. We are camping out at our cottage north of Lanse, Mi. on Lake Superior and it's been bad the last couple of days
The app is for IPhones.
Info about it is at: Download Our App! - Keweenaw Convention & Visitor's Bureau
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #12

Thanks Ed (elind). We'll be in your area late next week and if a need arises we will certainly look you up. Always nice to know good folks are around.

Black fly season aye? Sounds like I'll need to bring (and finally set up) the screen room my wife bought. Thanks for the heads up. Really looking forward to this trip.

Dave
Old 07-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #13

UP

We love Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island. Have been going each year for over 20 years. Will be there again in 2 weeks.
chaslorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
We have always loved and traveled to the U.P. of Michigan. We have wanted to head to Copper Harbor and the Porcupine Mountains for a decade or more, but never found ourselves going that far when the kids were young.

Since buying our Sunseeker last year we have been doing a lot of exploring and now it is time to do this thing. We're heading out on a long awaited exploration next week.
My wife and I just made that trip. We went June 1st and came back around the 15th. Many of my relatives were born there and worked the copper mines. If you get a chance stop off for a few days at JW Wells state park and try to get spot 22. You will be facing lake Michigan pretty much by yourself and you can watch the sun come up over Green Bay. Fantastic view.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #15

Say yah to da UP!

Enjoy
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #16

We are headed to the U.P. Next week also. Going to stay at Sunset Bay Resort and Campground for two weeks. Finally going to let the Columbus stretch it's legs.
hilitephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #17

UP

Will be doing the mine crawl in Aug. Will black flies still be out in force. Starting out at Houghton to Caledonia Mine then north. AE Seaman will not pass out the maps until the start. We will be staying at Lake Linden. First trip this far up.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
A few places to stop:
Hilltop restaurant (get the cinnamon rolls) 18047 US-41, L'Anse
Johan's Pastry Shop (get the custard long-johns) 565 W Mitchell St, Petoskey
Cops and Donuts (get one of everything) 521 N McEwan St, Clare

*My DW thinks I have a problem
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #19

Trip across the Up

Just left the UP last week-end. Parked our 5th wheel at McLean State Park just outside of Hancock. Great spot right on Lake Superior. From there took day trips up to Cooper Harbor and explored the mines along the way.
emason83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #20

If you're going that far up then I recommend taking the Brockway Mountain Drive just West of Copper harbor. Very scenic.
Click here: Brockway Mountain Drive - Upper Peninsula Wiki
Ft. Wilkins is a must- give yourself a few hours there to take in the history.

Copper Harbor is a bust actually. There's no pretty beach to enjoy. If you would like to see a beautiful sandy beach with some rock overhangs (where you could eat a lunch & look down on the town) then Eagle Harbor is the place to visit. Most people miss it on there way to Copper Harbor.
Click Here: Eagle Harbor and Eagle River Michigan in the Upper Peninsula on Lake Superior

Oh, and don't try to take firewood across the Mackinaw Bridge sometimes they check us campers out....
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote