Old 09-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Florida to Grand Canyon

In considering going from Florida to the Grand Canyon and surrounding areas. We have a 35 ft TT towed by a 2013 Expedition EL. Is this trip too much elevation/grade for us? What is the best way to find out about routes etc?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Best way to find out is to first find out what your towing capacity is.. should be some where in your hand book.. Then, take your rig out to the weigh station out on the interstate. They will tell you how much your trailer weighs, the combined weight of your rig, and the tong weight.. With that information you can determine how over/under weight your rig is. They told me I better not eat another big mac if I was to be within the limits of my rig..Have a safe and enjoyable trip..Post pictures..

Old 09-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

this might help

sounds like he's already towing it.... to answer your ?, ...your best bet [that's if you think you are under powered] would be a boring I10 flatland trip to phx then north on I17 to flagstaff, I40 to Williams and az64 to the south rim....your first real climb would be 40 miles n. of phx and again 79 n. of phx climbing up the mogollon rim. then you'll be at 7 thousand feet for awhile, dropping to 5500ft n. of williams and back to 7 at the south rim.

mather campground doesn't have rv sites for long trailers...maybe 1 or 2....but trailer village would accommodate you ...with 30/50 pwr.

may the wind always be at your back and your tranny run cool. .
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

We've towed with this set up but only in Florida.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

We went from Oklahoma to Grand Canyon 2003 expedition 25 ft trailer. Really we had no problems, we took some hills at 45-50 mph but that is not a concern to us, peple just went around us! We stayed in Page,az used it as base and drove to Grand Canyon, Zion, etc. we dont mind sightseeing up to 150 miles from campground. Best trip yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
You can also take IH 40 and see the Meteor Crater, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest and Rainbow Forest in Arizona on the way. IH 40 isn't much different than IH 10 is. And if you get on IH 40 before you get to Amarillo,,,,you can stop at The Big Texan and have a great Texas steak. There's a great RV park just west of the Big Texan called Amarillo Ranch RV that will accommodate your size and they have free limo pickup at the park that will take you to the restaurant.....Just west of Amarillo at about the 62 Exit on IH 40 is the Cadillac Ranch,,,,which is interesting to stop by and see. There's also an rv park in Tucumcari right behind the truck stop on the east end of town that's nice to stay in. We've made many trips from the Austin, Texas area west and we prefer IH 40 over IH 10. More interesting things to see and do. Also,,,,,you can stop in Winslow, Arizona and "Stand on the Corner" singing the Birds' song.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Make sure that you get Reservations for CGs in/near the Grand Canyon or any other Major Attractions in the SouthWest. There aren't as many facilities as one would hope, AND when they aren't busy to overflowing with Summer and Fall Vacationers they are filled with the influx of Snowbirds.
If you are concerned about Towing Up harsh Grades, consider I-10/I-25/I-40 rather than I-10/I-17 as the latter has to climb the bulk of the 4000ft+ Mogollon Rim in one Long Grade as well as the Central AZ Mtns (AZ isn't just a Flat Desert!!)
Old 09-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

Thumbs up Florida to Grand Canyon

I just made that trip this summer. Left Clearwater FL on 75 then picked up 10 over to Texas. From there we went through New Mexico and into Arizona on up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

You shouldn't have a problem towing.

All depends on how much time you have but there sure are a lot of great places to stop along the way. If you are restricted by time then you are on a beeline from point A to B and back. But if you are not....stop along the way and smell the roses.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

At the Grand Canyon, we highly recommend Railside RV. They are literally 100' from the railroad line to the Grand Canyon. (Don't worry, the once-a-day train is the only traffic on that line.) Free breakfast, free Friday Bar-b-que and really nice hosts. Don't make the mistake we made. From our experience many years ago, we decided to save $ by driving the canyon rim rather than taking the train. No-can-do! Now, the entire rim is seen by shuttles that run past each rim location every 10 minutes. You get on and off as you want. No more vehicle traffic is allowed at the south rim. Take my advice and take the train.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
At the Grand Canyon, we highly recommend Railside RV. They are literally 100' from the railroad line to the Grand Canyon. (Don't worry, the once-a-day train is the only traffic on that line.) Free breakfast, free Friday Bar-b-que and really nice hosts. Don't make the mistake we made. From our experience many years ago, we decided to save $ by driving the canyon rim rather than taking the train. No-can-do! Now, the entire rim is seen by shuttles that run past each rim location every 10 minutes. You get on and off as you want. No more vehicle traffic is allowed at the south rim. Take my advice and take the train.
Sorry, but as a "nearly Local", I will need to disagree.

Railside RV Park is a Very Nice RV Park - but it is in Williams AZ (along the I-40 west of Flagstaff) and is over 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon South Rim.

The Train Ride is Quite Scenic - and makes for a Great "Day Trip" to the GC (or a good way to package an Overnight at the Grand Canyon Lodge) - but it Severely Limits your Options at the Grand Canyon itself. The Train is a Diesel Loco with '40s-'50s era Coachs - not the "Old West Steam and Smoke and Rattle" - so you DO get a comfortable 2+hr ride each way.

The Grand Canyon NP does offer a strong set of Shuttle Bus Options - and those Shuttles are the ONLY access to a portion of the South Rim (a spur road out to Hermit's Rest) - but those Shuttles cover only about 1/3 of the South Rim (sure the most congested part - justification for their service). The remainder of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon requires a private vehicle - and several of the Overlooks and Destinations are rather unique from those visited by the Shuttles. Over 80% of the South Rim is Open-To and Only-Accessible-By Private Vehicles - but expect to use your TV or Toad as there are not many RV Parking Spots at the many Scenic Overlooks (most of which are on tight Spur Roads off the South Rim Road).

AND you AREN'T Camping at the Grand Canyon... No chance for Sunrise / Sunset / Full Moon walks along the Rim, or Deer and Elk strolling through your Tall-Pine shaded CG site. Instead, you are chock-a-block with other Class-As in a Flat couple of Acres landscaped with a few trees and grass, only 3/4mi from I-40 and 24-hr Truck Traffic.

You will unfortunately MISS A WHOLE LOT by Not Camping at the Grand Canyon - its the main reason that the Mather CG and the Trailer Village are booked quite far in advance!