Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

From Montana to Oregon

We are meeting some friends from Michigan at Glacier Nat. Park and from there we are travelling west to the Oregan coast.
I'm looking for input for the best routes, suitable for a 40 ft. fiver, ideas for scenic routes, etc. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

Oregon!
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

Sorry! Kinda vague as to where in Oregan.. We're thinking as far south as Coos Bay and then north up 101.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #4

Last summer, we started off in Astoria and went down the coast to Coos Bay. If you like light houses, there are several along the coast. We left Coos Bay and drove over to 7 Feathers on I-5 south of Roseburg and then turned off at Eugene and took the scenic route up towards Bend up to I-84, passing by Crater Lake.

If it were me, I would start making reservations now as there were a lot of places I would have stayed that were booked by early June.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

I live near Glacier Park and have been to the Oregon coast a half dozen times. My primary route takes me from Kalispell along the West side of Flathead Lake on hwy 93. Turning West at Big Arm on route 28, then 200 and 135 to St Regis where I pick up the interstate I90 and go through Spokane Washington. Leaving Spokane headed west until Ritzville where I cut off south on 395 and head to the tri cities (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland and Columbia River. picking up I84 takes me West to Portland. From Portland there are a number of state routes to head over to the coast. I have taken most of them and they all work. Pulling my 32' fifth wheel I make it to the coast in 2 @8 hour days usually spending the night in the Umatilla area. If you want to break it up into shorter hops, stop in Cd'A or Spokane, then Umatilla on the river.

Some people like to go from Kalispell to Missoula then over to Spokane but I like to use the shortcut to St Regis. From my house in Kalispell to the ID/WA border is a bit shy of 4 hours pulling the 5er.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
Member Oregon

Where's Oregan?

jandrews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
From Montana to Oregan

I live 14 miles from the west entrance to Glacier NP and I make frequent trips to the Oregon Coast. I also follow the route from Columbia Falls, MT to Portland, OR described by Mtelkman.

However, I like my first day to be a short drive so I stop for a night or two at the Nugget RV Park in St. Regis. It’s a great 10 10 10 Good Sam park with lots of amenities and I always find RV friends there.

The drive from Kalispell to St. Regis is a beautiful drive offering great views of Flathead Lake and the Mission Mountains. And the drive from the little town of Plains (west end of highway 28) to St. Regis follows the Clark Fork River and truly is a scenic drive.

From Spokane I can be in Cannon Beach, OR in 9 hours if I need to rush. These days, however, I like to spend a night or two along the Columbia River at places like The Dalles, Hood River or Cascade Locks.

Then it’s on to Cannon Beach, a highly popular destination featuring nice restaurants, coffee houses, art galleries and a great and long beach with magnificent sea stacks. Plus, the town is dog friendly if you have one. Staying there one can park the RV and take the tow or tower north to Seaside is one wishes to see the town.

Heading south from Cannon Beach I also enjoy visits to Lincoln City, Depoe Bay, Newport, Yahats, Florence
A good friend drove much of the Oregon Coast pulling a 40-foot fifth wheel and had no trouble.

2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #8

Good advice from all contributors.

We made a heroic 10-week trip last summer through most of the NP's west of the Rockies. Stayed at West Glacier KOA for several nights, and it is one of our favorites. Closest to the west entrance of Glacier NP, and not far from Kalispell. We love visiting Kalispell to shop at the Cowboy store, with fantastic antiques in the basement. One of the best old small towns in the country.

From Glacier we drove to Spokane for an overnight, then on to Yakima to visit old friends. Then on to Seattle to visit my nephew's family and visit the Boeing Museum of Aerospace. Something everyone should see.

From Seattle down to Portland, OR area where we also have friends. Stayed at Portland Fairview RV park east of town. One of our favorites.

From Portland you might want to go out to Astoria and see the Maritime Museum there. One of the best we have ever seen. Astoria is also home the "Goondocks", the actual home in Astoria where the movie "The Goonies" was filmed. Also, hike to the top of the Astoria Column, a hilltop tower from which you can see panoramic views of the entire Columbia River Inlet area. Lewis and Clark's Fort Clatsop is just a few miles south of Astoria. Continue down the Oregon Coast at a slow pace and you will see some of the best ocean views ever. Stop at the Tillamook cheese factory. Further down the coast Pacific City has some nice RV Parks. Great seafood at Pelican Brewery right on the beach.

Seven Feathers RV Park is one of the best we have ever visited. Just off I-5 in
Canyonville. From there we made a day trip to Crater Lake because all the RV parks near the lake were already booked.

We continued south into our home state of California from there, but there are many other worthwhile sights to see in Oregon.

Have a great time!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cole View Post
Sorry! Kinda vague as to where in Oregan.. We're thinking as far south as Coos Bay and then north up 101.

He merely corrected your spelling of Oregon... he wasn’t answering your question.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

Alder Acres RV Park is top-notch at Coos Bay, OR.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #11

Heading West & South out of West Glacier NP entrance you might want to try the route highlighted on this link which looks rather spectacular with lots of scenic stops and can put you in Spokane for points in OR. Take a look...gonna do it myself this summer after WE visit Glacier again.
https://koa.com/blog/glacier-dream-v...Kompass_Static
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Alder Acres RV Park is top-notch at Coos Bay, OR.

We stayed there last summer - it was an decent park with a good location.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #13

Ft. Stevens State Park near Astoria, OR is a favorite of many travelers. Google it. Plan to stop on Neakahnie Mtn south of Arch Cape to take some pictures. The RV park at the Garibaldi boat basin lets you get up close and personal with the fleet. The Tillamook Cheese factory display area just completed a big remodel, and the air museum south of town in one of the WW II blimp hangers are interesting stops. The sand dunes and commercial dune rides around Honeyman State Park near Florence, OR are a fun break. Each of these areas can be two or more day stops if you like, just remember you can stay longer next trip. If you haven't, and have the time, a day trip from Coos Bay down to the Redwoods south of Brookings is worthwhile and the drive down and back is beautiful. I think traveling Hwy. 101 north to south is the best way to see the coast; just sayin'. Enjoy!
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #14

I want to thank all those who took the time to reply to my thread. Everyone had good input and I want to specifically thank Audi, Mtelkman, Jakie-boy, and Dirt Sifter for taking the time to put in so much information.
I think you have turned my planned 2 to 3 week trip into a 3 to 4 week trip! I am looking forward to this trip, as, I am sure, are our friends from Detroit.
Thanks so much
Larry
Old 01-28-2019, 12:54 AM   #15

Have a great trip Larry, and be sure to report back on any events or sites that you found interesting and/or exciting that we may have missed.