Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #1

Fuel Stop Etiquette

Our trailer's a Rockwood Ultralight 8315BSS and the TV's an F250 SuperDuty PSD. Since I'm uncomfortable in tight places with a train that's close to 50' long, is it proper for me to go to the truck lanes at a fuel stop to fill up the TV?

What are y'all's views?
GreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEscape View Post
Our trailer's a Rockwood Ultralight 8315BSS and the TV's an F250 SuperDuty PSD. Since I'm uncomfortable in tight places with a train that's close to 50' long, is it proper for me to go to the truck lanes at a fuel stop to fill up the TV?

What are y'all's views?
I can relate. Our rig towing our bass boat which is about 23' on the trailer comes it at about 60' long. I look more for easy ingress and egress than price when I am stopping for fuel. Many truck stops have a dedicated RV island or pump. I wonder if there is a guide, web site or other reference material out there that would list these?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Flying J truck stops have RV pumps that are designed for RVs. thats the only Truck stops that I know of that have RV pumps. Yes, if your F-250 is a diesel, you can go in the truck lanes. If not, gasoline is not available in the truck lanes. We have done both when we had a diesel truck pulling a 5th wheel. Now with a gasoline motor home, we use the RV lanes in Flying J or the last pump in the car lanes. I have to be sure that I can make the turn out of the pumps towing a car before I try some stations. Your 5th wheel may cause you the same problem. Also, the height of the 5th wheel is another factor. We were 13' 4" with a satellite dish on top of our 5th wheel.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #4

We carry the book "The Next Exit" and it shows stations that are RV friendly and it has been pretty accurate so far. Of course is is only for freeway travel.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

Some Wilco/Hess stations have RV islands, but not many. The ones I have seen are in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach.

I too look for stations with easy in and out and don't fret about the price too much. After all, it is vacation and I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to fit into a small area to save a few cents.

As far as using pumps set aside for tractor/trailers, I can't help you with that. Personally I don't know why the station would care. You are doing business with them. The truckers might not like it but most of those places have open pumps so none of them should have to wait for one. (Obviously you need to have a diesel to use the truck pumps).

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I agree with all the postings. My biggest concern is getting in and out without the worry of being trapped. I usually fill up a day or two before we go anywhere. There's a few stations close by that are easy to get in and out of. Bonus is I don't have the car behind me. I scout out when I'm close to our destination and if I can get both vehicles in there easily I'll fill up just prior to our arrival at the campground. Then I'm set to go back home without stopping for fuel. This is mostly Myrtle Beach trips or any trips over 250 miles.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

As kvtaylor said, Flying J has RV pump island. It usually has one lane with pumps on both sides and one lane with pumps only on one side. You should be able to pull through into the lane with pumps on one side with no problems.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #8

Depending on the filler spout on your RV, the opening may be limited to using an RV or Auto deisel pump, reason being on the truck stop lanes, the fuel nozzle is much larger and will not fit into a standard vehicle filler spout.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #9

One thing to rember is that tuck pumps pump at a high rate of fuel.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #10

I have to second the book "The Next Exit", we have found that book to be fairly accurate in its assesement of "RV Friendly" gas stations.
Equalizer Hitch
OSCBRADLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #11

I use Flying J or Loves when I'm on the interstates. They both have excellent web-sites and you can print off a list of their stations to keep in the RV.

Flying J also has a free RV loyalty club that provides fuel & propane discounts.

Also there are lots of iPhone apps for truck stops.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #12

Great guys! Thanks for all the good information. Looks like we'll be getting a copy of "The Next Exit" and using the Flying J site to locate truck stops.
GreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote