Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Team

I keep both closed and can usually make it through a 2 day weekend without dumping until we leave. And that's with a couple of toddlers who don't know about water conservation:

"Look daddy, the water's going down the hole!"
"Yes dear, but you're filling up daddy's tanks!"

On a 3 or longer I'll usually dump sometime mid trip, just to be safe as I want relatively full tanks at the end of the trip. I'll do the grey either way, but only dump the black as long as it's reading 2/3rds, which I assume to be about 1/2 a tank.

When we did the Rally, I dumped 4 times that trip. Thankfully I managed to snag one of the hookup sites.

On another trip, I dumped about 20 times, but that was the weekend trip where my son flushed his underwear and I was constantly filling the tank and dumping to try to clear them through the system.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #12

hmm, interesting replies to this. I keep my tanks open but I close my black tank a day before we leave, then I dump it then run tank flush for it. So far I've never had any issues with keeping the valves opened.

Is there any benefits in keeping them closed while camping on a site with full hookups?

RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
hmm, interesting replies to this. I keep my tanks open but I close my black tank a day before we leave, then I dump it then run tank flush for it. So far I've never had any issues with keeping the valves opened.

Is there any benefits in keeping them closed while camping on a site with full hookups?
Grey seems to be personal choice. I prefer to keep closed because I don't want things crawling up from below.

Black definitely has a difference. Without water in the tank, your poo and TP and stuff is accumulating in a pile instead of breaking down in a liquid. The more it sits in liquid, the more it dissolves, the easier it gets out of the tank. Secondly, keeping that stuff underwater keeps it from smelling as bad. Tank deodorizers aren't going to help either since they're just going to go out the open valve and not remain in the tank to deal with the 'stuff'.

Basically, a full hookup site should be treated as a personal dump station with no waiting and no pressure to hurry up. They shouldn't be treated as an active sewer. I've been known to not even hookup my lines until it's time to dump.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #14

Grey for bathroom is accessible so its closed and black is closed. Grey for the kitchen is open and hooked up to a garden hose that has a valve on its end, because its not accessible.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Basically, a full hookup site should be treated as a personal dump station with no waiting and no pressure to hurry up. They shouldn't be treated as an active sewer. I've been known to not even hookup my lines until it's time to dump.

I too, don't usually drag out the hose until time to dump. The last trip, we were staying 8 nights, so when I was setting up, I went ahead and hooked up the hose. Usually, we can take about 5 showers(with other sink usage as well) and the grey tank is full. So after the 2nd night, after I dumped, I experimented leaving the grey dump valve open. During the day, the BOSS said she smelled the toilet and I need to dump the black tank. Well, I knew the black tank wasn't full yet, so I went out and closed the grey dump valve. (SHE THINKS I DUMPED THE BLACK TANK). After an hour or so, she said she didn't smell anything and was glad I dumped the black tank. I never told her otherwise! But what she was smelling was the "perfume" from the sewer lines wafting up the hose, past the p-traps in the sink drains. By closing the dump valve, that solved that problem. Yea, the roof vent "should have" lifted the smell but it didn't.

Lesson learned.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #16
Site Team

both closed and dump as needed
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
[/COLOR]
I too, don't usually drag out the hose until time to dump. The last trip, we were staying 8 nights, so when I was setting up, I went ahead and hooked up the hose. Usually, we can take about 5 showers(with other sink usage as well) and the grey tank is full. So after the 2nd night, after I dumped, I experimented leaving the grey dump valve open. During the day, the BOSS said she smelled the toilet and I need to dump the black tank. Well, I knew the black tank wasn't full yet, so I went out and closed the grey dump valve. (SHE THINKS I DUMPED THE BLACK TANK). After an hour or so, she said she didn't smell anything and was glad I dumped the black tank. I never told her otherwise! But what she was smelling was the "perfume" from the sewer lines wafting up the hose, past the p-traps in the sink drains. By closing the dump valve, that solved that problem. Yea, the roof vent "should have" lifted the smell but it didn't.

Lesson learned.
I always make a "trap" in the hose to eliminate this.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I always make a "trap" in the hose to eliminate this.
Ok, I give. What is a trap?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #19

Like a plumbing p trap. When I lay the hose out, I prop it up about 2ft from the valve, causing an area where water stays until it is pushed by water pressure from the tank. Make sense ? Wish I had a pic
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #20

I guess I understand that better now.

Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13

Tags
camping