Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
hmm, interesting replies to this. I keep my tanks open but I close my black tank a day before we leave, then I dump it then run tank flush for it. So far I've never had any issues with keeping the valves opened.

Is there any benefits in keeping them closed while camping on a site with full hookups?
For all the reasons previously stated....you want as much liquid as possible in your black tank to prevent a poop pile, and so when you do open it there is plenty of liquid to help "flush" it down.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #22

Full Hookup Camping

Always closed (both) until time to dump. Never leave my hose outside. Out West the ravins will peck holes in your hose.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Always closed (both) until time to dump. Never leave my hose outside. Out West the ravins will peck holes in your hose.

Russell

Hmm something to shoot at. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #24

Probably endangered. Lol. Just info & off topic-- one time in West Yellowstone in the winter. We watched a Ravin pull open the back lid on our snowmobile & take a candy bar. The lid is velcro down on 3 sides and the top is a flap. Lol. Smart birds!!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #25

Well, thanks for everyone's replies. It was very eye opening. I will keep them closed and only drain the grey as needed until the black needs emptied which will be at the end since we're only staying 3 nights. Thanks again!
mattre69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #26

I keep them closed and open them when nearly full!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #27

Quote:

Russell

Good to know!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #28

Quote:

Russell
That reminds me of when we lived in CA and would head up into the Sierras or up to the Lassen area. If you left water containers out while away from the campsite they would all have little drips and leaks when you returned. We found out the squirrels had learned it was easy to chew a hole and drink from them rather than go find a water source. Only took once and we learned to put the containers in the SUV when we left the campsite.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
[/COLOR]
I too, don't usually drag out the hose until time to dump. The last trip, we were staying 8 nights, so when I was setting up, I went ahead and hooked up the hose. Usually, we can take about 5 showers(with other sink usage as well) and the grey tank is full. So after the 2nd night, after I dumped, I experimented leaving the grey dump valve open. During the day, the BOSS said she smelled the toilet and I need to dump the black tank. Well, I knew the black tank wasn't full yet, so I went out and closed the grey dump valve. (SHE THINKS I DUMPED THE BLACK TANK). After an hour or so, she said she didn't smell anything and was glad I dumped the black tank. I never told her otherwise! But what she was smelling was the "perfume" from the sewer lines wafting up the hose, past the p-traps in the sink drains. By closing the dump valve, that solved that problem. Yea, the roof vent "should have" lifted the smell but it didn't.

Lesson learned.
The (ONLY) way sewer gas (Perfume odor) can enter past the sink traps is if there is (NO Water) in the Traps! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I always make a "trap" in the hose to eliminate this.
Yes to the trap. Cuts way back on the odor.
INBtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #31

Must have been 100% perfume. Or maybe it was toilet water.

I'm sure there must have been water in the traps(didn't investigate). But by closing the grey dump valve, I never had another complaint(about that).

There were other complaints....
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #32

I don't have a p-trap on my sink drain. Instead is has one of these, HepvO | Drain Master . I've wondered since we had it how susceptible they are to odor leakage. We haven't used ours enough yet to determine a lifespan but feel it is more likely to allow odor infiltration as it ages than a full p-trap.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping