Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #1

Galax, VA.. Been there? Near there?

Trying to make plans now to go to Galax, VA the 3rd week in August. Actually attending stuff in Fries, but with only one campground there, well.... Wanted to know if anyone here is near there? Know anything about "Old Cranks Campgrounds/RV Park"? Know anything about any of the others?

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We stopped overnite in Galax about 2 weeks ago on our way to Pigeon Forge Tenn. This is just about the 1/2 point on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stayed at Deer Creek RV Resort (Deer Creek RV Resort | Camping in Galax Va. | Blue Ridge Parkway). I think this is a pretty new campground, but set up nice for a destination stop. It is run by Rick.....pleasant to talk to on the phone, and nice to meet in person. It is about 5 miles from town. If you camp there, you gotta check out the Mountain Seafood Restaurant (exact name??).....good food and plenty to eat......the locals love it.

There is a Friday nite Bluegrass get together in town that Rick can direct you to, that I had heard about previously and is supposed to be pretty good. We were tired after our day on the Blue Ridge Parkway, so we didn't take advantage of that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Try http://www.uttscampground.com in/near Fancy Gap. Haven’t been there but it has a pretty good reputation on another forum I belong to. (See ScampCamp in their picture gallery.)

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #4

Changed towns and parks. Instead we will be staying at "Fries New River Trail RV Park" in Fries. It is right at where we needed to be and we will have friends staying there too. They have been to this one last year. Said it is small but really nice. I'm just looking forward to going somewhere - ANYWHERE!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
The Old Man

Not much in Fries, but it's a pretty little town along the river. The New River Trail Park is nearby but it doesn't have RV facilities. Besides Galax, there is Hillsville about 10 miles away on the other side of I-77. I mention Hillsville because they have a HUGE (I repeat HUGE) antique flea market several times a year and people come from all over the east coast for that. You should check the schedule to see when it is or you may find everything within 20 miles booked. Same for the Galax Music Festival. That's a national level event with huge crowds, so check what week that's taking place or you might have trouble finding a place or even navigating through Galax with your rig.

Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #6

The Grayson Highlands State Park is located in Mouth of Wilson, about 25 miles west of Galax, VA. There is a variety of camping available here, as well as 10 miles of trout streams for fishing activities are also available for visitors.

It is famous for canoeing, hiking, biking and horse riding activities. The area surrounding provides a peaceful and eye catching environment for camping with a beautiful lake makes it more attractive. There are comfortable cabins available for to visitors for peaceful and relaxing stay and accommodation.
Kathy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

In '08 I mountain biked along the New River Trail from Pulaski to Galax & back (motelled it in Galax). I did see Cliffview Campground just to the north of Galax along the trail.

Check out The Galax Smokehouse, if you're in town for a meal.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote