Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 AM   #1

Going Full-time!

We have been preparing to go full-time the past several weeks. We are very excited! We will be using Florida as our domicile. I'm doing a write up on our blog to document the steps that we are going through in case it is a useful reference for others who are thinking of doing the same.

We are aiming to be full-time by the end of March or the first part of April. Our goal is to be full-time for one year before buying another house. We have lots planned for this year! Can't wait!

https://habsontheroad.com/2017/02/05/going-full-time/
HabsOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #2

Good luck. I'll keep an eye on the blog. Love reading those things.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #3

Thanks, Andrew!!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #4
Always Learning

It's great to see another fulltime family on the road! If you're a Facebook user, make sure you're on the Fulltime Families Facebook group.

As you travel, you might also find that becoming members of www.fulltimefamilies.com makes sense. We were so happy to find them and rally to find our community. We've made some awesome friends out in the road.

Be careful- we originally thought we were embarking on a 14-month trip! We are now 20-months in and have no end in sight!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the tip! I just requested to join the group. Looking forward to meeting others!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

Congrats and have a great adventure! We have been on the road, full timing for 8 months now and it has been fun. We originally planned to do it for 2 years but I think we might stop a couple of months earlier and do some international travelling before we move back into the stick and mortar home, (our house is in CA so we can't have bricks, too many earthquakes). We were going to go to Alaska as the last part of our journey but have now decided to do the international trip instead.

You mentioned a realtor, I am assuming you are selling your house, did you check into renting it out? The only reason I ask, is we leased ours out for 2 years and with someone else paying the mortgage and still making a little on top of that, it gives us quite a bit of "extra" cash to go do things we probably wouldn't have.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #7

That's pretty awesome to hear! We are somewhat planning to take a cruise from Seattle to Alaska this summer, but we might have to put that on hold if there isn't enough time.

Thanks for the input on the house renting idea. We decided to sell instead of rent because we have some profit wrapped up in the house since we built our house for a much lower cost than they are selling for, and we also want to downsize when we buy / build another house. If it weren't for those two factors, renting would definitely be appealing!

Thanks! Have fun on your international travels! That's really cool.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #8

Good luck full-timing

Wish you luck on your full time adventure. My wife and I are going to attempt a two or three month trip next winter I will be watching for your blog to see how it goes. If you have not been to Alaska I would do that before international trip. We spent three weeks in Alaska last spring touring in a rented motor home and still did not get to see everything we wanted to see. Alaska is just simply breathtaking. We have also done the cruise thing. The cruises are nice but it is rushed and you do not get the full immersion of Alaska. We need to get back to Alaska ourselves so we can spend at least 10 days on the Kenai Peninsula.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback camper70! I can't wait to see Alaska! if you look at our blog, we did two fairly long trips. The first one was 28 days around the Gulf of Mexico. It's under the blog titled Tour of the Gulf. Then we did a 50 1D trip and the blog posts I'll start with West Coast Adventure. Those were two very fun trips! The different types of scenery we got to see were amazing! One of my best memories was kayaking in the ocean with the sea otters and sea lions. That was quite an experience! One area I am really looking forward to going this year is the Bay of Fundy
Old 02-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #10
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsOnTheRoad View Post
We have been preparing to go full-time the past several weeks. We are very excited! We will be using Florida as our domicile. I'm doing a write up on our blog to document the steps that we are going through in case it is a useful reference for others who are thinking of doing the same.

We are aiming to be full-time by the end of March or the first part of April. Our goal is to be full-time for one year before buying another house. We have lots planned for this year! Can't wait!

Good luck with your adventures [emoji106] DW and I will be following your blog with great interest ....we are in the process of planning to be on the road full-time this coming year.
HabsOnTheRoad must be hockey fans [emoji970]
Happy Trails
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #11

Hey, MainelyUS!

Thanks for the note! We just finished up a long evening of packing and hauling stuff to the ministorage. It feels good selling a lot of our excess stuff... much less to have to store.

Funny about the hockey comment. It was only after I created our website that I noticed the references to a hockey team on the Internet. I probably should have chosen a better name for our website! Oh well, maybe we will get some visitors we were expecting. Ha ha!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
Retired

HabsOnTheRoad awesome name!

Good luck with purging the house...make sure to goes to storage and not the MH.

Happy Trails
Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsOnTheRoad View Post

What part of Florida you planning on coming too.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #14

Going Full-time!

We are first going to Green Cove Springs to register our vehicles and get our drivers licenses. Then we plan to go to the Florida Keys until early May. We then head to Disney World (Fort Wilderness). After staying there for a couple of weeks, we are headed out of the state to explore the Northeast and then over to the West coast, possibly a cruise to Alaska from Seattle. Still lots of logistics to work out, but that's the overall game plan for the next year.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #15

Will be keeping a close on on this one as we are a few months from doing the same thing. Good luck and have a blast
Pbgbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbgbrv View Post
Will be keeping a close on on this one as we are a few months from doing the same thing. Good luck and have a blast
Thanks!! We are getting close to hitting the road. We are aiming for April 1. I hope your transition goes smoothly! So far, the most stressful part has been trying to so many things at once.
-Get the house in tip top shape
-Prepping for a big garage sale
-Getting the RV packed with the essentials and making sure everything fits.
-Taking care of 2 kids and working while doing all of the above, also knocking out last minute doctor appointments

Needless to say, I can't wait for everything to be wrapped up and to be on the road. Much simpler and more exciting life ahead!!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 PM   #17

1 week to go!!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 AM   #18

This photo is from today. While it looks pretty ordinary, it represents a LOT of tiring work to go from sticks and bricks to full time in the Berk. It was taken at the exact moment we left our local RV park and began our 1 year journey! Very exciting! Boy, what a lot of work it was to prepare for this, as I'm sure many of you can relate. It seemed like a never ending list of things to do to. We've been updating our blog as we go (http://habsontheroad.com).

Our first stop was only an hour away (Van Buren, AR) to visit our families before we head to Florida, but it felt good to be on the road again, even for a little while.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	133380
Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #19

Enjoy the ride. I love the journey, not so much the destination
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #20
Retired

HabsOnTheRoad enjoy your journey...be safe...looking forward to reading your blog.

Happy Trails