Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Grizzly RV Park West Yellowstone

Planning a late May trip to Yellowstone with the wife and 3 young kids. We are planning to stay at Grizzly RV Park, rather than inside the park, because we want full hookup for 5 nights with 3 kids. Any feedback on that RV park and anything not to miss in Yellowstone? Been 19 years since I was there!
kevinstennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Future Buyer

Grizzly RV park is the best place to stay in West Yellowstone.
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

X2 on that. Fishing Bridge inside Yellowstone is full hookup. It's a little tight but it stays full, it's kinda like parking at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

We found the West Yellowstone KOA to be outstanding last summer!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Mega Member

We stayed there for 4 days back in June---Excellent! Nice facilities, nice location (walking distance to many places downtown), and very friendly staff. You will not be disappointed!
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Love that park, have stayed there many years. Last year we had three adjoining sites for the whole family. This is very best RV park in the Yellowstone area. You can walk to town where there are good restaurants, museums and much more.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Grizzly is the best in town. If you're going in early May expect snow. They had snow piled up higher than our trailer when we were there May 7th.
There were no crowds then. A big plus was because it was still cold we could see the steam from the geysers all over the place. We've been there in the summer months but you only see the water gushing not the huge columns of steam rising. Quite spectacular really.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #8

A little further west, but we stayed at Henry's Lake State Park for 6 nights, beautiful park.
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #9

Tried to book KOA's at west Yellowstone entrance area in late May two years ago. They were still digging out of winter snow. Check opening dates carefully. Also, some roads in the park can be closed through May.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is one of the best Parks we have stayed in. VERY clean and well laid out. It is within walking distance of town and and you MUST go to the Wolf and Grizzly Center (you can walk to it.) If you have time, doing the Cooke City Highway is magnificent!! I don't know how long your RV is. Anything too big could be a challenge!! There is much to see in the Park. Also, if you go out the south entrance, you can drive through Grand Teton National Park, into Jackson Hole. The Virginian RV Park is VERY nice. You can catch the city bus just across the street that will take you downtown and it's free!! We also went on to Cody, Wyoming. Stayed at the Ponderosa RV Park. It is three blocks from the Buffalo Bill Historical Center - a must see in Cody. There is so much to see and do in Cody!! If you are interested, let me know. Have fun!!
Joni Tonkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #11

We stayed at grizzly 6 nights in September. Great park, great location if not in the park. We enjoyed the wild west dinner in Yellowstone and the grand canyon of Yellowstone. You won't be able to see everything so plan out your days.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

We stayed at the west KOA in Weat Yellowstone. It was nice but the next time i go out there I want to stay in the east KOA, the one closest to the park. For linger stays they have more going on.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #13

Stayed in Fishin Bridge, booked site first week in Jan for first week in June. Stayed 6 nights, needed more time! Had one light snow while there. Big park, got several videos while there. Get a Golden Park pass if you do not have one, if not you pay every day to go in. If over 62 get the permanent pass, one price gets you in every park free, half price camping in COE cgs. Also diesel was nearly 50 cents a gallon more in the park, kept half tank or better with fuel purchased outside park. Left there hit Devils Tower, Cody, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse. Rapid City is good place to day trip from, much to see there as well. Enjoyed the Badlands.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 PM   #14

Be prepared for cool weather. I was in Yellowstone in mid-June 1990 and 1994 and it snowed both times!

Hope you'll be luckier.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni Tonkovich View Post
Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is one of the best Parks we have stayed in. VERY clean and well laid out. It is within walking distance of town and and you MUST go to the Wolf and Grizzly Center (you can walk to it.) If you have time, doing the Cooke City Highway is magnificent!! I don't know how long your RV is. Anything too big could be a challenge!! There is much to see in the Park. Also, if you go out the south entrance, you can drive through Grand Teton National Park, into Jackson Hole. The Virginian RV Park is VERY nice. You can catch the city bus just across the street that will take you downtown and it's free!! We also went on to Cody, Wyoming. Stayed at the Ponderosa RV Park. It is three blocks from the Buffalo Bill Historical Center - a must see in Cody. There is so much to see and do in Cody!! If you are interested, let me know. Have fun!!
Joni, thanks for the great information! I've been to Cody, but it's been a long time! We won't be able to make it there this time. Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Stayed in Fishin Bridge, booked site first week in Jan for first week in June. Stayed 6 nights, needed more time! Had one light snow while there. Big park, got several videos while there. Get a Golden Park pass if you do not have one, if not you pay every day to go in. If over 62 get the permanent pass, one price gets you in every park free, half price camping in COE cgs. Also diesel was nearly 50 cents a gallon more in the park, kept half tank or better with fuel purchased outside park. Left there hit Devils Tower, Cody, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse. Rapid City is good place to day trip from, much to see there as well. Enjoyed the Badlands.
Thanks for the info about the Golden Park pass--I'll have my tour guide (wife) look into that. I drive a gas truck currently, so won't worry about the diesel. I'm not 62 yet, but slowly creeping up on it (currently aged 34!).

Have a great day!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #17

We stayed at Grizzly RV park and it was a very good park and friendly staff. They had a policy that if you wanted to cook on the picnic tables to come by the office and get a pad, that was nice. I came home and found the sheet of double faced foam board and now I have my own pads. It was a good idea I got

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #18

We went last May. The southern and eastern entrances were still closed. The loop around eastern part of Lake was closed as was fishing bridge. They also had road construction. Not sure how that is coming along.

No matter what time of year you go, pack for cold weather. High altitude and cold weather moves in quick. Last August we had our motorcycles in Red Lodge and planned to ride into the park. We crossed Beartooth Pass in a Rain cloud at 33*F, it was 38* in Cooke City. It was mid eighties the day before.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
We went last May. The southern and eastern entrances were still closed. The loop around eastern part of Lake was closed as was fishing bridge. They also had road construction. Not sure how that is coming along.

No matter what time of year you go, pack for cold weather. High altitude and cold weather moves in quick. Last August we had our motorcycles in Red Lodge and planned to ride into the park. We crossed Beartooth Pass in a Rain cloud at 33*F, it was 38* in Cooke City. It was mid eighties the day before.
Thanks for the input! Even though it will be late May, we will plan on winter weather, just to be safe!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #20

End of May, some roads in the park are still closed with 6' or more of snow over the road. In other areas, we were looking at places the plows had cut through the and those banks were higher than our rig (12').
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote