Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Hampton VA to Santa Fe NM in early January 2017

Hello! After I saw the "I-20 west on way to Phoenix" topic below, I thought I might ask a similar question for those who have gone wast and are familiar with the roads.
Due to our house in Santa Fe closing much earlier than we thought, we will be moving ourselves and 3 cats in our 31" class C from Hampton, VA out to Santa Fe, NM. This will be just a straight slog to get there before our POD with basic living provisions does. We will be shipping our car, so no toad for this trip. We will not have much other than ourselves, cats, and basic supplies.

We are winterized already and will stay that way. Our longest camping trips have been 4 day/3 night trips, with full hook-ups, or water and elect. only. Water and sewer won't be a problem this trip, but power would be nice for the heat.

We are looking at going as direct as possible. We will both drive. My husband mapped out to have us stop for the nights as follows:

Hampton VA to Bristol TN/VA via I-64/I-81
Bristol TN to Memphis TN via I-81 to I-40
Memphis TN to Oklahoma City, OK via I-40
OK City to Amarillo TX via I-40, and
Amarillo TX to Santa Fe NM via I-40 to I-25.

Any suggestions on open campgrounds? Gas? I will map things out as best as possible before leaving to give us some security, but I know that weather can change our plans.

Thanks for any assistance! We were not planning on making the trip until Spring, but there you go!

Martha
Old 12-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

We did the same route a couple years ago coming back from western trip. Good route and if you don't mind KOA's , they are conveniently located along this entire route. Everything easy on / easy off for gas, food, parking.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
We did the same route a couple years ago coming back from western trip. Good route and if you don't mind KOA's , they are conveniently located along this entire route. Everything easy on / easy off for gas, food, parking.
Hi, Mike - thanks for the info. We are hoping not to have to wander off the interstate too far so as to make better time, and having the basics close to the road saves time in the morning AND evening. I'm trying to work in the fact that it gets dark pretty early, also.

(I noticed that I put January 2016 instead of 2017 in the title, I'm going to see if an administrator will change it.)

Martha
Old 12-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Keep us posted I would love to do the same trip.from Newport News Va. Probably sometime March or April.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

I made the trip from OKC to Virginia Beach this past summer. You route is the same as the one I took with the exception of Nashville, TN. Nashville is a pain in the.... even without an RV. Take the 840 bypass in Lebanon, TN. It is longer in miles but has no congestion and is an easy drive around Nashville.
As for weather, over the years of making this trip I have hit snow on 81 in the Valley, snow in Tennessee from Knoxville to Memphis and snow throughout Arkansas and Oklahoma.
WATCH THE WEATHER CLOSELY.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #6

I would drop down to I40 on I85 then take I40 all the way to I25. You will likely see less snow than on I64. I also recommend you get a camping app. There are some long stretches that do not have many campgrounds near the highway along with many places being closed for the winter. You may want to think motel over camping. Be prepared for snow and ice. Safe travels.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Hi.We leave upstate Ny for Az/Nv. at the end of December.using 90 to Oh.then down 71 or 75? to Tn then 40 going west.usually stop in truck stops or walmarts for overnights.
Occasionally a KOA. But ya gotta get into the truck stops early.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #8

Hey East2West I have a question for you.

You don't store your camper at Hampton Boat and RV Storage? Why I ask is they have no more room and just waiting for a space to open, lol

Hubby is down at Little Creek and this way he can run up to Hampton instead of home to put the camper at one of the Military Campgrounds.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #9

Watch the weather. Usually very windy in the Texas panhandle and eastern NM and for me always a head wind (both ways and uphill). Ice storms and very cold weather to go along with that during the winter. If there is snowy weather I-40 tends to be closed (be prepared).
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Yeh Last January we veered south from I40 in Nm.to visit my brother in Clovis a couple days.The weather was windy and they had some bad freezing.Saw many dead cattle along the roadside between Clovis and Az.But the roads were ok for travel.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Keep us posted I would love to do the same trip.from Newport News Va. Probably sometime March or April.
I will - though I don't think that there will be many inspiring or beautiful pictures. I hope all the road signs say "I-40 West to xxx" and "no traffic events or weather closures."

See a couple of posts further up about a good roundabout at Nashville

Martha
Old 12-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
Hey East2West I have a question for you.

You don't store your camper at Hampton Boat and RV Storage? Why I ask is they have no more room and just waiting for a space to open, lol

Hubby is down at Little Creek and this way he can run up to Hampton instead of home to put the camper at one of the Military Campgrounds.
Hi, Dorrie. There are people who go south for the winter months who leave their storage areas, you might be able to be on a waiting list for whatever storage area you are looking for. Also up on the Peninsula the Newport News City Park campground had last time we camped there, near the ranger station. Nice campground also.

Martha
Old 12-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #13

Hope you all enjoy the trip, travel safely and no camper issues. Keep us posted.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #14

We stayed at the Wytheville KOA on the way home. Nice Camground close to I 81. Try to make it to West Memphis and Tom Sawyer RV Resort. Nice campground on Mississippi River. We paid $30 with GS membership. Skip staying in Arkansas, all campgrounds close to I40 are marginal at best. Drive through to Sallisaw OK KOA. Very well maintained and clean but sites are close together. Close to I40. After that I can't help you.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #15

All campgrounds mentioned advertise Open All Year.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #16

Tom Sawyer CC is off the beaten path. You are RIGHT ON THE RIVER.
Like barges are 30 feet away traversing the river. Very quiet. LOTS OF SNAKES. Lots of snakes., did I say lots of snakes, big snakes! Spent 3 nights there 2 years ago. Never used rest rooms. ( snakes). Office has a BIG SIGN; watch out for snakes! Other than that a lovely place 😂
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #17

Amarillo:
Same trip caught in ice/snow/wind/ ice storm mid March. Damned weather changed in 15 minutes.
36 ft 5er pulled GREAT ( when I could see out of the darn windshield) big trucks blew by at 70+ heading for safety. We called ahead 2 hours to Amarillo and booked/paid via phone 2 nights. Limped in 4 hours later; eyes frozen open from staring at the damned road, trying to stay on it.
2nd day went 200 feet up the street to a GREAT COWBOY STEAKHOUSE.
Best sign in America: You are now leaving Texas. Seems like 8 days to get through there! Loved passing north of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico where it's the most dangerous point near the border. Border patrol everywhere! Stopped for a quick necessary call at a guarded rest area.
Promptly saw sign; watch out for rattle snakes. Did I tell you how much we loved s Texas? 😂. Just say'n!!

Would we do it again; yeah!! It's just experiences. No harm. We were gone Atlanta to Phoenix for 2 winter months. 👌👌
Old 01-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #18

We usually rely on our icemaker for cocktail hour but Tom Sawyer Resort advertised 7 lb bag for $1.00. Had to buy one. Didn't find any snakes in ice

Old 01-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #19

Hibernating

SNAKES Are smart! Stay warm in winter; like crawling into the underbelly of your rv. Of course, that high quality "plastic" should deter them, or not 😂.
I kept a 6ft pole indoors and cautiously opened the door each morning.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Tom Sawyer CC is off the beaten path. You are RIGHT ON THE RIVER.
Like barges are 30 feet away traversing the river. Very quiet. LOTS OF SNAKES. Lots of snakes., did I say lots of snakes, big snakes! Spent 3 nights there 2 years ago. Never used rest rooms. ( snakes). Office has a BIG SIGN; watch out for snakes! Other than that a lovely place 😂
But I'm wondering, are there any snakes?