Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's a good time for the most part. As with everything, it's not all smiles and daisies. But you take the good with the bad and make the best of it.

How are you making out with the dry camping part?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #62
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
How are you making out with the dry camping part?

Better but not great. We do ok with lights and whatnot, but my CPAP machine has become a pain. I end up running an extension cord to the truck and running off of that. I used to be able to run it directly in our kitchen 12v hookup.

My battery panel/sensor is useless and tells me different results each time. I think I want to get a Trimetric monitor, just to get a better fee for volts and what (at least I think that's what it would do).
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #63

Thanks for the Harvest Hosts info. I was just looking at this online and then checked here to see if any posts about it . . . of course there are! Great pictures. It's more than a place to park - it's an added experience for the trip. Especially for kids, and the wine especially for the adults! I'm recommending this program to my sister and brother-in-law who own a ranch and sell both nationally and internationally organic legumes and heirloom grains such as barley and lentils, and books (yup, books) through an online business which features unusual, scholarly and out-of-print books. If interested, you can check them out at:

Welcome to Timeless | Timeless Food

CE Ranch Books - Unusual, Scholarly and Out-of-Print Books

They are in west central Montana and there aren't many host sites in the area so it might be a good fit for them.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #64
Always Learning

I thought I’d resurrect this thread. It’s hilariously awesome to look back on the trials of that first stay... that night was so cold!

We find ourselves having renewed our Harvest Hosts membership and sitting now at a winery in Lometa, TX. The sun has just set and I’m listening to the kids sit on a blanket and sister is reading a book to brother. In the other ear, there are crickets out in the grass and vineyard. (Unfortunately, it was hot today and the generator drones on for a quick cooling of the camper and to cook up some dinner in the InstantPot.)

We had another excellent experience at a winery. Being non-wine drinkers, we tend to look for juice-like wines. The staff welcomed us openly and one of the gentlemen took us for a quick walk showing us parking opportunities. The owner thanked us for visiting (and I thanked him for his hospitality).

We bought a small pizza for some pre-dinner, 2 glasses of wine, and a sprint. I think I heard that we were in for about $32. I little expensive for a dry camping stay, but the atmosphere and solitude are worth it! While having drinks and waiting for the pizza,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4704.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	154680

Name:	IMG_4700.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	154681

Name:	IMG_4712.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	536.5 KB
ID:	154682

Name:	IMG_4707.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	154683

Name:	IMG_4714.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	154684

Name:	IMG_4720.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	154685

Name:	IMG_4716.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	154686

Name:	IMG_4725.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	154687

Name:	IMG_4735.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	154688

Name:	IMG_4729.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	154689

A footnote, if you make it this far- I’ve mentioned it A LOT, but my battery, inverter, and generator upgrade are fantastic. I can come into this type of stay and have no qualms or fears about having enough electricity. The generator is only for A/C and/or running an electric cooking appliance (InstantPot or microwave).
Old 10-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #65

Welcome to Texas!

Enjoy that weather, cold and wet moving into the north now.

PS We are heading to a COE park between Waco and Corsicana tomorrow. Come on over an join us for a few days! The weather will have moved on through by then. Liberty Hill is a beautiful park.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #66
code.org

Thanks for the update on Harvest Hosts. That is a great looking pizza and tasting room. I had not heard of them until earlier this year when I saw this video. I am intrigued to check them out.

2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #67
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Welcome to Texas!

Enjoy that weather, cold and wet moving into the north now.

PS We are heading to a COE park between Waco and Corsicana tomorrow. Come on over an join us for a few days! The weather will have moved on through by then. Liberty Hill is a beautiful park.

I’m looking forward to the coolness. The camper is pretty toasty inside and seems to hold heat after a day of travel. We’ll run fans as much as possible.

We are headed to Austin for a buddy’s weddin’. After the wedding, we put the rig in storage and then fly back to Pennsylvania for a couple of weeks for my sister’s wedding.

Otherwise, I’d love to come visit!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #68

Quote:
I’m looking forward to the coolness. The camper is pretty toasty inside and seems to hold heat after a day of travel. We’ll run fans as much as possible.

We are headed to Austin for a buddy’s weddin’. After the wedding, we put the rig in storage and then fly back to Pennsylvania for a couple of weeks for my sister’s wedding.

Otherwise, I’d love to come visit!
Beautiful country around Austin. Enjoy your trip, and the wedding.

We are ready for some cool weather too. I think we are ok here in central Texas but I just saw storms and a tornado up in Oklahoma tonight. It is coming our way, but hopefully the heavy stuff will stay north. Keep an eye on it tonight.
Andersen hitch
Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #69
Always Learning

Quote:
Beautiful country around Austin. Enjoy your trip, and the wedding.

We are ready for some cool weather too. I think we are ok here in central Texas but I just saw storms and a tornado up in Oklahoma tonight. It is coming our way, but hopefully the heavy stuff will stay north. Keep an eye on it tonight.

Thank ya. Will do.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #70

Harvest Hosts doesn’t look like something I want to try. I’m glad it works for y’all
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #71
Ann

My husband and i just traveled 5 months in our motorhome. We did stay with many Harvest Hosts. I always purchase from the host and expect to spend at least $25. Usually it is closer to $40. When buying fresh produce this way, it will last me several weeks. Or wine...that will be 2 bottles.

The last couple years it has become more difficult to find a state park that will allow one night stay on a weekend. Those are the times I look for harvest hosts. We met some great people this summer both in USA and Canada. We love Harvest Hosts but feel it is only fair to purchase an equal value to an overnight in a state park. Last week our last two stops were in Pennsylvania...$30 each night.
RverAnn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #72
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Harvest Hosts doesn’t look like something I want to try. I’m glad it works for y’all

I’m curious for your reasons why not?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #73

We like hook ups and if I’m going to spend money anyway it may as well be hook ups. We don’t dry camp much, I have Honda’s. DW just is not in to much dry camping. I can see it’s a good deal maybe for some just not us
Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #74
Always Learning

Quote:
We like hook ups and if I’m going to spend money anyway it may as well be hook ups. We don’t dry camp much, I have Honda’s. DW just is not in to much dry camping. I can see it’s a good deal maybe for some just not us

That was my guess but I didn’t want to put words in your mouth.

I’m finding we may still be moderate weather boondockers. We roasted last night!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #75

I’m afraid if it got hot in the camper the next day DW would be on the way home. Early in our life we lived without air conditioning but no more. I have backpacked before in the summer and it was not fun at night, DW went one time. She will go with me anywhere but she wants to be warm in winter and cool in summer. I plan on going back to Alaska next year and dry camp some but more than likely I’ll need the furnace more than A/C
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #76
Always Learning

Quote:
I’m afraid if it got hot in the camper the next day DW would be on the way home. Early in our life we lived without air conditioning but no more. I have backpacked before in the summer and it was not fun at night, DW went one time. She will go with me anywhere but she wants to be warm in winter and cool in summer. I plan on going back to Alaska next year and dry camp some but more than likely I’ll need the furnace more than A/C

Honestly, I’m surprised I didn’t catch hell today. Though, even I didn’t sleep well because of it.

I’m just not enthusiastic about running the gennie overnight- especially back next to the bunkhouse. But we also had a bad storm roll in, so I couldn’t move it and run it any way.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #77

I had never heard of Harvest Hosts - but that is definitely something we'll keep in mind for the future when we have more traveling time. Looks awesome! We are fine with boondocking (although we would definitely try no to be somewhere uncomfortably warm ;-), so this is right up our alley. Thanks for sharing!
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #78

Quote:
Honestly, I’m surprised I didn’t catch hell today. Though, even I didn’t sleep well because of it.

I’m just not enthusiastic about running the gennie overnight- especially back next to the bunkhouse. But we also had a bad storm roll in, so I couldn’t move it and run it any way.
I was wondering how you made it with the weather Saturday night. Strong storm and steamy night, but frosty this morning if you're still there. I'm afraid we are not dry campers either, wife just loves the parks too much (but not fond of commercial campgrounds). Around here in the summer A/C is just about mandatory.
Andersen hitch
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #79
Always Learning

Quote:
I was wondering how you made it with the weather Saturday night. Strong storm and steamy night, but frosty this morning if you're still there. I'm afraid we are not dry campers either, wife just loves the parks too much (but not fond of commercial campgrounds). Around here in the summer A/C is just about mandatory.
We had lightening most of the night starting about 11pm - mostly in the distance. At around 4am, we had torrential rain- wife woke me up to close windows in our bedroom. While we were sleeping, I don't really recall loud thunder or wind that rocked the camper about.

By the time we got up around 9am or so, it was just wet out and things were a bit muddy packing up. We rolled out at 11:30am with blue skies and cooler weather.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #80

We are Michigan State Park lovers !!! If we are going to spend $28 to$30,,,
I want ele & a dump station !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote