Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #41
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
Yeah pretty much. Jersey to SD is gonna be a hard push for two maybe three days drive straight through. Then couple days at a each stop. From new mexico the Atlanta is another hard push then slow down from there
Better plan at least three to four days from Joisey to Rapid City at minimum...

And for the other drive from New Mexico to Atlanta.

Pulling an RV across the country isn't as easy as that.

Most especially with kids along...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #42

Never went that far in my RV. I got a class A but I've done Jersey to Chicago in 13 hours in a car. Dont think I'll make same time in a RV
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #43

I've done Vegas to Jersey in less than 48 hours but that was painfull. Left vegas on Friday at 830pm got home on Sunday 330pm. Only stopped for gas and to change drivers. We didnt stop for food unless it coincided with gas station stops. Again, in a car, and no kids.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #44

As you near Chicago on 80, just stay on 80 toward Iowa. You will be on 80/94 for a bit, then 80/294 for a bit, then you will pay 1 small toll before you get off 80/294 and continue toward Iowa on just 80. This way you will go right past the World's Largest Truck Stop near Walcott Iowa. This route is just a few miles longer than your proposed route, but your route has many more tolls before you get out of the Chicago area. Eventually then you would take i-29 near Nebraska on up to Sioux Fallsl where you would grab i-90 toward Rapid City. Have fun.
harleybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #45

I can’t recommend enough, the missile site tour on base at Ellsworth Air Force Base
Near Rapid City. They have a museum outside the gate and you can sign up for the missile silo tour where they take you into a retired silo with a inactive missile in it.
My wife did think she would like it but went along with the idea because I wanted to go. She came out of the tour with a new perspective on the thing. The give a very detailed tour.
If you go, make sure that your drivers licenses are of the new federally enhanced version. We are from Minnesota and when I can to ask about the tour I was told to bring our passports as MN wasn’t yet up to standards. The Air Force does a limited background check on you before they let you on base. The museum is outside so doesn’t have that kind of security.

Also, from Sioux Falls west, it is literally uphill all the way. I pull a 16-ft Wolf Pup with a 2007 Trail Blazer 4.2L. Plenty adequate around Minnesota and it worked fine on the Mt Rushmore trip but it was at its limit when headed west.
We learned to: plan more fuel stops than pee-breaks; not to let fuel get below 1/2 tank - the farther west in SD, the farther between gas stations. Had one situation where we said there should be fuel just up the road and literally watched the fuel gauge going down - we made it to the gas station with less than an 1/8 tank. Whew.
Also learned to not be in a hurry (doesn’t sound like that will be a problem for you guys) as we couldn’t make the speed limit westbound other than a couple of times on a downgrade. Your TV May we be better suited than mine. Probably is.

Just a few things to keep in mind that we didn’t know to find out first. We didn’t know what we didn’t know.

Sounds like a great trip. Would love to have that much time to spend!
raldous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #46

Im pretty much using all my vacation time for the year in 1 trip. I have 2 floating personal days left over and some sick time but that's it. Also I'm driving a class A Georgetown 351ds and towing a chevy Malibu behind me. The extra drag will probably slow me down some through the hills and definitely use up more fuel on the way.
If I take 80 up to 90 through Wisconsin I can stop the night in Madison at friends house. If I go 80 through to Iowa I need to find a place. Worlds largest trucks stop may be a good place to spend the night. Anyone ever try it? Is it RV friendly ?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #47

Arches NP is absolutely beautiful and can be seen without a lot of hiking. I have never been to Glacier but it is on my list and as a lot of people have stated is beautiful too. Good luck.
Ridpath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #48

We went to Yellowstone last year from Minnesota. There are a ton of things to do in the black hills. If you like seeing animals go to Bear Country USA near Rapid City. It's a drive through animal park. the drive through is okay but what we really liked was the walk around area where you can see the baby animals. They have a large area with bear cubs and we could have watched them for hours. Cody, WY is a fun little town with a great museum (you could spend a whole day - or more - just in the museum). Being from MN we didn't plan enough time for driving through the mountains (the bighorn mtns are in WY, and you drive through them from SD to get to YSNP). They are beautiful but just plan on taking your time. We stayed in Yellowstone for 5 days and it wasn't nearly enough time. We saw most of what we wanted but put in 12+ hour days (every day) and only saw the highlights. If you like seeing animals and/or photographing them then your daily plan can get thrown out of whack in a hurry. We were headed to the lamar valley one day and saw a bear with 3 cubs. Stopped to photograph and were there 2+ hours (same thing with a bear with a kill) - didn't make it to Lamar valley until the afternoon. If you have the time I would consider at leat 8-10 days in Yellowstone. Also, the driving times in Yellowstone are decieving. The map might say distance to X=16 miles, but with stops for wildlife, photos, etc it might take 2 hours for that 16 miles. We went in the beginning of July and saw tons of baby animals. They were old enough to be out with the adults but still little. And even in July it got cold at night (our first night it got down to 41 degrees) so plan accordingly. It sounds like a great trip - have fun!

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #49

Custer State Park, SD:

Plan on visiting the park, Black Hills, Devils Tower, and Mt. Rushmore during a 6 day stay.

Recommendations on an RV park central to those destinations that can fit my 42' 5er?
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #50

We've stayed at Mountain View RV Park just off I-90 in far northeast Wyoming and very close to Devil's Tower. Easy day drives to Sturgis, Deadwood, Custer Park, Mount Rushmore, etc. Nearby town of Sundance has an interesting history, too.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #51

ok, the severity of the tornado season in Tornado Alley has me a bit leery of traveling through that area next year, thinking of avoiding the stress and worry and coming back through ND and Michigan Upper Peninsula.

Recommendations for stops along that upper route appreciated.

Is Rt 23 along Michigan's eastern shore RV friendly? Seems that it would be a very scenic drive.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #52

We stayed at the KOA just outside Devil's Tower two years ago. Nice view of the tower but you pay extra for that view. We'd stay again if we were up that way.
sleepybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #53
Happy Camper Take 2

My wife and I took the kids to all 48 states took us 11 years to complete. About 10 of those states were camping. We did loops, pick out good roads, then places you want to visit, hitting National Parks, Monuments, big cities to sleepy little towns it was a blast, we just got back into camping, like last weekend. Cant wait to plan those out west trips again. We live in NC so not so far from you all. Have fun making memories.
jriddle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #54

We drove up to Laramie for lunch when we were staying in Loveland, Co last week(then onto Estes Park). It was awful. It was very very windy and dusty. I asked if it was normal to be this windy and the locals laughed and said yes. The big attraction it seems is the Territorial Prison where Butch Cassidy was held. We just wanted to visit and say we were in Wyoming and Laramie was a good place to stop for a short drive.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #55

Ok, narrowing down dates, and have made some tentative reservations (subject to change).

How crowded is Yellowstone second week of June?

I have us checking in June 9, 2020 and checking out June 15.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #56

We were in Yellowstone last year around May 28th to June 10th. It wasn't bad as school was not out or just getting out so not many families with kids. Still lots of people stopping to see the animals along the highways. Be prepared to stop.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #57

All summer months are very crowded at Yellowstone. You will be there about the time young wild animals are first born. Be prepared for rows and rows of cars to stop in the middle of the highway , get out of their cars, and try to get close to a Mama Bear and her cubs for a good "selfie". Don't do that!! Bring a camera with a good telephoto lens.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #58

I have made your west trip on a motorcycle. Save some time and skip the Badlands. It's just dirt and reminded me of the Alcoa and Reynolds aluminum strip mines in Bauxite, Arkansas. The name is appropriate, 'BAD'lands. Custer State Park is a must.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #59

I appreciate the input, but the trip is booked.

We’re heading out middle of May 2020, for 7 weeks, doing a lot of one and two night stays on the way to the first major stop, the Badlands, seeing the Missile Silo and spending the Memorial Day holiday there.

With a bunch of little stops in between, here’s the rest of the trip:

Custer for six nights.

Grand Teton for five nights.

Yellowstone for five nights.

Glacier for five nights.

Voyageurs Natl Park for three nights.

Manistique on the Michigan UP for four nights.

Lake Leelanau for July 4th, and then back down to starting point over that next week.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #60
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
Custer State Park, SD:

Plan on visiting the park, Black Hills, Devils Tower, and Mt. Rushmore during a 6 day stay.

Recommendations on an RV park central to those destinations that can fit my 42' 5er?

KOA Rapid City for the stay. We were there in 2018 and used it as a base, visiting all you mentioned and more. Rates very competitive with others in the area.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote