Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

Help me plan my trip, Two Thirds of US

The details:

8 weeks, May-June 2020
Me, wife, 12 yr old daughter, dog
42’ fifth wheel
Starting location northern MD

So far I’m thinking Badlands, SD as first stop, 6 days to get there, 2 days staying there
Custer State Park/Mt Rushmore as second stop, spend 4-5 days in the area,
Then off to Yellowstone for 4-5 days, taking 2-3 days to get there,
Then 2-3 days at Grand Teton?

Either way, that’s only almost 4 weeks, need ideas to fill in the rest of the trip, without pushing hard the whole time, we want to take our time.

We like cities, too.

Suggestions?

Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #2

I would suggest that you extend your time in the South Dakota to maybe 5 or 6 days instead. There is a lot to do and see around Custer's state park and MT Rushmore. Hill City and Keystone to name a few area to explore. I believe there use to be a steam engine train ride between Hill City and Keystone SD will worth the ride.

In Yellowstone NP we spent a week there and still did not see everything in the park. The park is amazing and is so, diversified that it takes days to visit each area. Then you can visit Codey WY and if you are into history there is a Japanese interment camp in Heart Mountain WY about 20 min or so, drive North East of Cody off of state route14A.

Another days drive would be the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway this leads to part of the Beartooth Highway. Chief Joseph Scenic Highway which leaves Cody WY and will take you into MT and another entrance to Yellowstone NP. This leads into the LAMAR valley of Yellowstone.

There is a more to see and do but it could take a travel journal to tell you everything.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

If you like western and cowboy memorabilia, you would enjoy King's Saddlery Museum in Sheridan, WY. King?s Saddlery, King Ropes | Sheridan, Wyoming

2014 Coachmen Catalina 273DBS
50th Anniversary model
acope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Make sure to stop at Wall Drug. It's a crazy interesting place. You can fit that in going from the Badland to the Black Hills.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Downtown Buffalo WY. Go to the Occidental Hotel downtown and just wander around. Trust me on this one. VERY neat stuff.

One part day in Deadwood, SD.

Custers Last Stand was sort of disappointing.

Devils Tower, for sure.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

Very general questoin. Here is a general answer. Visti Montana, Denver, CO Rockies, northern NM if you have time.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

Crazy Horse Memorial® is in the Black Hills of southwestern South Dakota in the United States. The entrance along US Highway 16/385 (the Crazy Horse Memorial Highway) is 9 miles south of Hill City, SD and 4 miles north of Custer, SD. Crazy Horse Memorial® is 17 miles southwest of Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
mncreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for the suggestions around my SD and WY destinations. Stretching a few days at each place isn't a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Very general questoin. Here is a general answer. Visti Montana, Denver, CO Rockies, northern NM if you have time.
Well, not really a "very general question" when you take into account my return destination (northern MD) and the time I have available to me (8 weeks).

Traveling to the destinations you mention drags me further away from home, putting real pressure on the return trip. We don't want to do 5hr+ days if we can avoid it, and we don't want to pick up and move on every day, either.

Limiting our western reach to WY gives us almost 3 weeks for the trip back, assuming we linger in our SD and WY destinations a few extra days.

Can anybody suggest a destination between Grand Teton and northern MD? Something to hit on our way back?
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Downtown Buffalo WY. Go to the Occidental Hotel downtown and just wander around. Trust me on this one. VERY neat stuff.

One part day in Deadwood, SD.

Custers Last Stand was sort of disappointing.

Devils Tower, for sure.
Custer State Park, not the little big horn site. The state park has camping (might be size limited) and buffalo herds.
Concur with your other stuff.

How about Tombstone on the way back?
Or stop in at Antique Archeology (American Pickers) in Iowa near I-80. We got there late and they were closed ;(
IF you go I-80 either way, there are the in ground missile silos out in the Dakotas. Must get tickets in advance to tour them. I found out about them AFTER our trip.
2018 16 days camped, 2019 5 days so far.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

smaller circle: Dinosaur Natl Mnmt (nw CO), Rocky Mtn NP (N of Denver), Mammoth Caves (KY)

larger circle: Craters of the moon (sw ID), Zion/bryce/escalante/Capital reef (UT), Arches NP (UT), mesa verde CO

Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote