Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Help planning 10 month trip TX-ALASKA-WASHINGTON

Hello. We are planning a 10 month trip starting in December 2016 and ending in September 2017. With some shoulder info on each side

It's a alot to list on here in a post- so I'm going to post a link to our tentative plans at this point.

Any suggestions?

I haven't mapped it out yet to figure out which order will or at least should hit our intended attractions. Also, the date ranges are just an estimate- not set in stone.

For reference we have a 29' TT (and a Silverado 1500) and are in our early 30's. We are also traveling with three dogs.

Also important, my Mom is the one who wants to fly into Vegas and see Britney Spears. I am taking one for the team.

Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

nobody?

www.kels4g.com
Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

I can suggest Cherry Creek State Park, just outside Denver, FHU, so you can take in a Rockies game. Bring shot records for the pups, of course, and hopefully they are chipped.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

And for Colorado's national parks check this out

Rediscovering Colorado's national parks | 9news.com
Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Thank you! I'll take a look. The girls were chipped as puppies when they got their spay done.

www.kels4g.com
Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Looks good! Many of the same places we visited on our 300 days of travel through the USA in 2011-2012. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

I see you have Montana sugar beets in for September thru November. Are you going to be working the harvest there in the Yellowstone valley?
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I see you have Montana sugar beets in for September thru November. Are you going to be working the harvest there in the Yellowstone valley?
It's "in the plan" but we don't know for sure yet.

www.kels4g.com
Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #9

One thing I noticed on your spreadsheet is that you never say when you will be heading into Canada and Alaska.
I lived in Fairbanks Alaska for 8 years with my family and the best time to travel the Alcan highway is early spring before everything thaws out (the roads) If it get warm the far northern portion of Canada can get a little rocky and mushy.
After you are in Alaska you will hit better roads as soon as you hit Tok Alaska.
From there into Fairbanks is great roads. You must stop in North Pole Alaska and see Santa and his toy shop. This is located about 12 miles from Fairbanks so you will drive by it on your left.
Hopefully you will stay in Fairbanks at least 4 or 5 days as it has a lot to offer and see. Fairbanks has everything you may need. Food souvenirs clothes, fuel.
You need to make a trip a few miles north to see the actual Alaskan pipe line. You can drive right up to it and hear the oil flowing. I would also consider going to the Alaska University (Fairbanks) Museum.
Now from Fairbanks you can make reservations to stay at Denail Park entrance and take the free school bus tours into the park. Last time I went it was free and you had a 4, 6, or 8 hour bus tour into the park. If the weather is clear you may even see the mountain peak. I will mention in Alaska you always need to watch out for moose, bear, caribou crossing the roads.
Now after Denail you will be heading to Anchorage. Great history and also the big city like Fairbanks. From here you can go to Nome, take ferry to Juneau the Capital.
Now you have to decide if you want to turn around and return the same way you cam into Alaska or if you like you can go back into Canada and head for Hanes Junction and take the Alaskan Marine Ferry back to Vancouver to Seattle. Yes they take all size RV, truck, semi etc. It is a 3 day trip to Seattle and you stop at many Alaska port and able to sightsee for a few hours before walking back to the ferry.
Now it is a little pricey but a nice way to get back to the lower 48 without any issues on the road. You can rent a cabin or if you want you can sleep in the big lounge chairs in the ships viewing area or on deck. I expect you will want a cabin. They have cabins with 2 double bunk beds the last time I was there. Not sure about the dogs. You may need to leave them in the trailer and you are able to go down and walk them down below with the vehicle.
Anyway the main thing to remember is do not head to Alaska in the winter.
Drive up in Late May early June and you should be ready to head south by late August.

Hopefully this is will you some idea on your Alaska side of the trip.

Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

DW and I are planning a trip in June this year, about four months. I would like to go back on the 26th of December but leave the camper at home, I love snow

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
One thing I noticed on your spreadsheet is that you never say when you will be heading into Canada and Alaska.
I lived in Fairbanks Alaska for 8 years with my family and the best time to travel the Alcan highway is early spring before everything thaws out (the roads) If it get warm the far northern portion of Canada can get a little rocky and mushy.
After you are in Alaska you will hit better roads as soon as you hit Tok Alaska.
From there into Fairbanks is great roads. You must stop in North Pole Alaska and see Santa and his toy shop. This is located about 12 miles from Fairbanks so you will drive by it on your left.
Hopefully you will stay in Fairbanks at least 4 or 5 days as it has a lot to offer and see. Fairbanks has everything you may need. Food souvenirs clothes, fuel.
You need to make a trip a few miles north to see the actual Alaskan pipe line. You can drive right up to it and hear the oil flowing. I would also consider going to the Alaska University (Fairbanks) Museum.
Now from Fairbanks you can make reservations to stay at Denail Park entrance and take the free school bus tours into the park. Last time I went it was free and you had a 4, 6, or 8 hour bus tour into the park. If the weather is clear you may even see the mountain peak. I will mention in Alaska you always need to watch out for moose, bear, caribou crossing the roads.
Now after Denail you will be heading to Anchorage. Great history and also the big city like Fairbanks. From here you can go to Nome, take ferry to Juneau the Capital.
Now you have to decide if you want to turn around and return the same way you cam into Alaska or if you like you can go back into Canada and head for Hanes Junction and take the Alaskan Marine Ferry back to Vancouver to Seattle. Yes they take all size RV, truck, semi etc. It is a 3 day trip to Seattle and you stop at many Alaska port and able to sightsee for a few hours before walking back to the ferry.
Now it is a little pricey but a nice way to get back to the lower 48 without any issues on the road. You can rent a cabin or if you want you can sleep in the big lounge chairs in the ships viewing area or on deck. I expect you will want a cabin. They have cabins with 2 double bunk beds the last time I was there. Not sure about the dogs. You may need to leave them in the trailer and you are able to go down and walk them down below with the vehicle.
Anyway the main thing to remember is do not head to Alaska in the winter.
Drive up in Late May early June and you should be ready to head south by late August.

Hopefully this is will you some idea on your Alaska side of the trip.

Iggy
We plan on entering Canada on (or around) June 12 and then driving to Alaska.

We do not have Juneau on this trip because we have already been there.

Thank you for the feedback.

www.kels4g.com
Old 03-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
Also important, my Mom is the one who wants to fly into Vegas and see Britney Spears. I am taking one for the team.

Here's the link:
Loving your spreadsheet so I am using it for our plan. Traveling with a 30' TT (Flagstaff Vlite) and Chevy Silverado HD 2500 diesel and one senior citizen (14 yo) Golden Retriever, Sierra.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Here's the link for grocery and other items which may be restricted for border crossing into Canada.
I am also researching bear proofing topics, since we'll have at least dog food, maybe canned goods not in the fridge. DH would stroke out if a bear tried to break into the truck. I'm reading that no wet wipes, hand lotion, etc, can be left in vehicle or camper.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
Hello. We are planning a 10 month trip starting in December 2016 and ending in September 2017. With some shoulder info on each side

It's a alot to list on here in a post- so I'm going to post a link to our tentative plans at this point.

Any suggestions?

I haven't mapped it out yet to figure out which order will or at least should hit our intended attractions. Also, the date ranges are just an estimate- not set in stone.

For reference we have a 29' TT (and a Silverado 1500) and are in our early 30's. We are also traveling with three dogs.

Here's the link:

I looked at your Alaska-Canada plan. 9/24 latest date, you should be fine with that, though it is still possible to have an early snow. If that happens, hunker down, wait a day or two for the snow to pass and melt.

Make sure your pet vaccinations are current, when you cross the borders. It is possible to take firearms into/through Canada. Do you homework plenty in advance. I avoid the issue by leaving them at home.

There are many miles/km, going through YT with no fuel stops, and no cell service. As you get into Northern BC going South, services are more available, as it cell coverage.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy1967 View Post
I looked at your Alaska-Canada plan. 9/24 latest date, you should be fine with that, though it is still possible to have an early snow. If that happens, hunker down, wait a day or two for the snow to pass and melt.

Make sure your pet vaccinations are current, when you cross the borders. It is possible to take firearms into/through Canada. Do you homework plenty in advance. I avoid the issue by leaving them at home.

There are many miles/km, going through YT with no fuel stops, and no cell service. As you get into Northern BC going South, services are more available, as it cell coverage.
No guns here. Our girls have been to Canada before twice. We went to Fundy National Park last summer and Niagara the year prior.

www.kels4g.com
Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue river View Post
I can suggest Cherry Creek State Park, just outside Denver, FHU, so you can take in a Rockies game. Bring shot records for the pups, of course, and hopefully they are chipped.
We just booked this park for this May. We had to shorten our stay to 5 days (instead of 8) in order to get any availability. There are only two full hook up sites left for that week in May!

www.kels4g.com
Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue river View Post
Here's the link for grocery and other items which may be restricted for border crossing into Canada.
I am also researching bear proofing topics, since we'll have at least dog food, maybe canned goods not in the fridge. DH would stroke out if a bear tried to break into the truck. I'm reading that no wet wipes, hand lotion, etc, can be left in vehicle or camper.
Are you supposed to carry a bear storage container or something? I've not heard of anyone else doing that on the way up or back. I'll have to look into it.

www.kels4g.com
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #18

I see you have put some real effort into planning your adventure. I think you should be open to adjustments to your travels after you get going. I also think you should change your plans for Northern Arizona in January. Sedona is higher elevation and it is winter time. There will be snow likely at that time of year up through April. Also you need to add to your travel time estimates to allow for fuel stops, meals and just stop to stretch for a break. In any case I would like to do the same thing as you, happy trails!
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #19

We went to Alaska from Florida this past summer. A generator will be very handy as Glacier and Denali do not have hookups. You might consider a couple more days in Dawson City. That was one of our best stops. When you leave Dawson City heading to Chicken, leave as early in the morning as you can. We got to the ferry about 7 am. There was no waiting and we were the only one on the ferry. The distance from Dawson to Chicken is not that far, a little over 100 miles going via the top of the world highway. We took our time and the road was better than we expected. Beautiful drive and plenty to see. We stopped in chicken to check it out then finished the day by going to Tok.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #20

Sounds like a thoroughly enjoyable trip (perhaps with the exception of Brittany Spears). For the Canada portion, in particularly Calgary, don't expect to find any decent RV sites close to the city. They just don't exist. The best FHU RV location is Bow Rivers Edge in Cochrane. It is about 30 minutes to downtown Calgary from there. You will be about a month too early for Stampede. The nights are short at that time of year and it will stay light until about 11pm allowing for lots of good sightseeing time. If you are travelling through the Canadian National Parks, entry is free next year in celebration of the countries 150 yr since confederation. I would recommend you book any NP campsites early though (January) as this year they filled up very quickly. With the exchange rate at the current value you will find Canada relatively inexpensive. Food and fuel are generally more expensive here but that should be offset for you because of the $ strength. Just remember, absolutely no firearms when coming north. Our border agents don't take kindly to you having them on board your RV and will most certainly ask you. For the main, we're a pretty friendly nation so the likelihood of you needing to have one are pretty minimal.

As for the Brittany Spears thing.....suuuure it was your moms idea. But you can rely on the discretion of everyone on here to keep it quiet.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington