Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #1

Help with route..

Hi all,
We are thinking about taking a trip South of the border this summer. Maybe a 10 to 12 day outing.
Problem is we are also newbies to nice vacation places for RV'n. Did not go out much with the TT but hope to do much bigger and better with the 5er.
I was wanting leave Edmonton Alberta Canada to see the California Redwoods going thru Oregon along the coast line. Have heard the road is narrow..no shoulders and there has been some washouts. I think my friends said it was the 101 they took.
They went to Arizona by car that route a couple of weeks ago. This has me a little worried that the highway isn't safe for 5ers??
If it is okay, any input as to where to stay would be greatly appreciated.
I would really like to take a nice scenic trip this year
Curt 20k.Q5 Slider
dezldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Site Team

your friends are mistaken. it's not 101 that need to worry about. 101 runs down the coast of Oregon to the Calif. Redwoods. it's a great highway, 4 lanes in places and will be fine for large RVs.
it's Highway 1 that's narrow and is closed many times due to landslides, especially near Big Sur.
you'll have no problems on 101.

depending on the size of your RV, you might not fit in the state park campgrounds, in the Redwoods.
i do recommend visiting Prairie Creek SP. great redwoods, Fern Canyon and they have a few big rig campsites.
Patrick's Point SP has large sites and is near Prairie Creek. there's also a bunch of RV parks in Klamath, also nearby.
Jedediah Smith SP, near Crescent City is also nice and i'd recommend staying at Harris Beach SP in Brookings, Ore., to visit it.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks Bikendan,
Great info. Yes friends or maybe myself got it wrong
Certainly don't know much of the USA travel but want to start visiting often.
Would like to make our way to Disneyland but that is a long way and not too sure with the 5er as yet

Your info has be awesome and greatly appreciated,
Happy trails.

hope you have a wonderful season

Jo
Curt 20k.Q5 Slider
dezldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

There are alot of Nice Rv parks on the Oregon coast, and 101 isnt a problem eather, The lanes are wide enought but there are a few tights spots, No problem thou, we love to spend time in Seaside and Newport Beach Oregon, your going to love the Drive

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote