Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I don't care what type of dog it is, if you can't control it so as not to ruin other campers' experiences, don't bring it or don't camp.

Same with unruly kids. It's really simple...I pay for my site too so you don't get a pass for disturbing me because you can't control your kids or dogs. (I have both by the way.)

If more campground owners would kick offenders out it would be a better world. Flame away, but if you are disturbing others, YOU are at fault.
I agree 100%! If you have barking dogs or unruly children, stay out of campgrounds PERIOD!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
why not rescue? Is it because it is easier for you to train a breeder dog ? I prefer to own rescue dogs when the only other option is to kill them . You meet the dogs first, evaluate, and accept that they are going to require time. Until they are trained, you don't take them camping ! Our rescue has no issues camping, our highly bred Plott Hound, on the other hand stays home.
Personally I do not have a problem with rescue dogs, I have a problem with some rescues (actually many). We have rescued most of our dogs over the years............ usually from people that took in a rescue dog

But to a couple of rescues we are terrible people........... to one, since we did not take into our house the neighbors feral cats and the deer that go across our property and have them all fixed we were deemed unfit with two crying boys that did not understand why they couldn't adopt the lab they fell in love with........ Sorry for the rant but I have a dislike of most rescues but not the animals.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 05-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I agree 100%! If you have barking dogs or unruly children, stay out of campgrounds PERIOD!
And DAMMIT....GET OFF MY LAWN!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
And DAMMIT....GET OFF MY LAWN!
X1000!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #45

I guess that I should not bring my pet cow over to visit ...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 05-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

I guess that I should not bring my pet cow over to visit ...........

Ok if you clean up after it and leave at least a gallon of fresh milk.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #47

What does Cesar Milan say, "He trains people and rehabilitates dogs"

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
Old 05-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
I gave it to a farmer and he ended up shooting it.
NO! Don't tell me that! My parents always used to tell us when we were little that they took our dog to a nice farm where they would be happy.

Bruce
Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #49
ARLO

Loud horrible dogs should not be brought to a campground period. If an owner can't control a dog, they should leave it home. I will gladly eliminate the mutt if it is uncontrollable.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #50

As a previous dog trainer for many years, remember that a dog is an extension of your family and should be trained to respect your values the same as you tried to instill your values in your children.
If you do not respect your neighbours, your dog ( and your children ) will follow your lead.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #51

I raised beagles to hunt and those that could not were given away as pets. We have 3 rescues. A female beagle we rescued at about age 6. She is quiet and listens but will sneak into my chair if she thinks I'm not around. She stays with our daughter when we travel. Our 1st rescue is a mix. We rescued him SEVENTEEN YEARS ago as a puppy. He has a few health issues, sleeps a lot and is a good camper. Our last rescue is a carin mix. He knows he is in 3rd place as the old guy is the alpha dog. He too loves to camp but will bark until corrected when he sees something unusual or close to our 5er. When we leave the day blinds are down, a small light and the tv is on. With that he just sleeps and never barks even if the neighbors dogs do.
I can put up with someone's barking dog much easier than their unruly offspring. Many of those need to be muzzled and kept on a leash.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #52

We have had many camping experiences ruined by barking dogs. Please, if you can't control the dog, don't bring it. Please don't leave them alone in your trailer. You may think they are fine when you're gone but you should ask your neighbors at the campground if the dog is barking while you are gone.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #53

This thread really hit home for me. We just joined the RV/TT world and have been out 4 times so far:

1st time: Within minutes of our pulling in to our spot our neighbors on one side came over with their dog. They asked if it was okay if their dog "met" us because that way it wouldn't bark at us during our stay. We appreciated their consideration.

2nd time: We were five spots down from a group who left their dogs tied up outside the entire weekend. They barked incessantly. Anyone who approached the owners about it were rudely dismissed.

3rd time: A family had two very aggressive dogs that would bark and howl at anyone who walked by. At least twice that I saw the dogs came loose and went after other dogs as their owners were walking them, with the aggressive dogs owners frantically chasing them and calling them back.

4th time: Just last weekend we were next to a family with two pit bulls. They abided by the "must be on a leash" rule but the leashes weren't tied to anything. Several times the pit bulls wandered over to our spot checking things out and scaring our 10 year old son.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the norm and something we are really not going to enjoy. We don't dislike dogs, but we do dislike inconsiderate human behavior. Do more dog-loving families subscribe to the camping lifestyle because few hotels are willing to let several large dogs spend the night in a room? It did seem, the few times we've been camping so far, that we were one of the few without canines.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #54

Dogs, generators, partying all the same thing . Your rights end when you infringe on someone else ! Simple! Control them or leave them home.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #55

It is the campground personnel who are responsible for bad campers whether it be dogs, kids or noise. The campground we stay at in Florida does an excellent job with problems but you have to let them know. We are not dog people but most of our friend are. They know to pick up after their dogs and don't offend anyone.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
This thread really hit home for me. We just joined the RV/TT world and have been out 4 times so far:

1st time: Within minutes of our pulling in to our spot our neighbors on one side came over with their dog. They asked if it was okay if their dog "met" us because that way it wouldn't bark at us during our stay. We appreciated their consideration.

2nd time: We were five spots down from a group who left their dogs tied up outside the entire weekend. They barked incessantly. Anyone who approached the owners about it were rudely dismissed.

3rd time: A family had two very aggressive dogs that would bark and howl at anyone who walked by. At least twice that I saw the dogs came loose and went after other dogs as their owners were walking them, with the aggressive dogs owners frantically chasing them and calling them back.

4th time: Just last weekend we were next to a family with two pit bulls. They abided by the "must be on a leash" rule but the leashes weren't tied to anything. Several times the pit bulls wandered over to our spot checking things out and scaring our 10 year old son.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the norm and something we are really not going to enjoy. We don't dislike dogs, but we do dislike inconsiderate human behavior. Do more dog-loving families subscribe to the camping lifestyle because few hotels are willing to let several large dogs spend the night in a room? It did seem, the few times we've been camping so far, that we were one of the few without canines.
Is this the norm? Not in my personal experience. I've been camping since I was a kid (I'm much older now). In the past six years there has been only one occasion that I had to say something about barking dogs. I talked to the park host, who also heard the dog, and she took care of it. That was at a state park in Oregon. I can say with authority that at least the places we go to in the state of Washington, if there is a nuisance dog, the park people will deal with it.

And by the by, DO adopt rescue dogs. I volunteer for a beagle rescue organization in Portland (I am 200 miles away in Washington) and got my current beagle from them. We flew him out from West Virginia.

He and his sister were on death row and going to be euthanized the following day. Both were rescued. If the person screening does a good job, the dogs are very unlikely to go to either bad homes or bad people. The interview I do is in person and I have three sheets of paperwork with questions on it. The last thing we want is to have a dog go to yet another bad setting. We have people sign a contract (I know, it's just a piece of paper) that says if for any reason they don't want the dog or can't handle it, they HAVE to give it back to us.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #57

We taught our dog our dogs and grand kids camping voices!! It worked most of the time.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #58

One of the reasons we bought our RV was to bring our dog with us. She is extremely well behaved and I cannot take credit for that. It is just her nature. If I giver her a command and she does it I can take credit for that.

She is a Golden Retriever and registered therapy dog. She does not bark unless something scares her or she gets overly excited when she is playing. She doesn't like loud noises including barking dogs. She tries to avoid what is causing the noise.

When we are sitting outside of our camper she is with us but we don't have her on a leash. She will stay right there with us. I don't care how many people or dogs that go by she will just watch them go by.

When we take her for a walk we put her on a leash while in the campground. We do not let her walk into any camp site occupied or not. We take her to areas so she can relieve herself and we clean up after her. Even if she goes where nobody would probably walk because I may walk there and I wouldn't want to step in it.

I don't think she knows she is a dog. So if you happen to be camping where we are please don't tell her she is a dog.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7 381HP 4.10 gears 6 speed automatic

2016 Crusader 295RST FW
Old 05-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just the 2 of us View Post
We have had many camping experiences ruined by barking dogs. Please, if you can't control the dog, don't bring it. Please don't leave them alone in your trailer. You may think they are fine when you're gone but you should ask your neighbors at the campground if the dog is barking while you are gone.
We have asked. Told they did not know we left them several times. I can control my dogs, can you control your kids?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #60

We have a mutt that loves to bark! At home she has a very high pitched annoying bark and barks at everything!!! The first time we brought her camping I was worried she would be one of "those" dogs. Turns out in the trailer and outside she is just fine. If she was bad I would've found somewhere for her to stay. I can't stand yappy dogs, and mine at home is yappy and annoying!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Closed Thread

Tags
door