Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #21

Nuisance, I highly commend you for taking the female Yorkies .

With that there comes a tremendous responsibility both for yourself and for those effected by your wonderful decision. If you are going to take them on the road with you, you have an obligation to your neighbors to not disturb them. There is no effect on a dog that is kenneled for short periods of time. Please realize dogs are pack animals and understand instinctively a hierarchy and they will be submissive to those above them and dogs are den animals by nature so sleeping in a kennel is natural.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #22

Just like having children, not everyone should own a dog.

We have two little dogs that are caged in the back of the truck when we travel or in small cages in the camper bedroom when we leave. Quiet as can be because they are sleeping. Always leashed or in our camper, under control, and with us when we are on our site.

Not sure why people leave their excited dogs out to run wild around their RVs when they are gone. Doesn't seem good for the RV or the people camped around the RV.

My pet peeve are the campers that have un-chained dogs on their camp site. Their dog follows or chases us and our leashed dogs down the campground road and the goofy owners start yelling, don't worry, fluffy won't hurt you. Or, the un-controlled dog is being watched by a child that weighs a quarter of what the dog does. Keep your dog on a leash and I don't care if fluffy has never hut anyone. I don't want to meet your Fluffy. The owners always put on the transparent act that this is the first time Fluffy has not listened and left the campsite.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Yes please do not adopt any rescue dogs.
+1

Old 05-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #24

The barking dogs in the campsite next to us don't bother me nearly as much as the owners do. We can usually manage to ignore the dogs...........

But...... got a big kick out of our camping neighbors last fall....... our dogs are Boxers and rarely bark.......the continuously barking of the dogs next door, was blamed on our dogs for just being there....... If ours wouldn't have been there theirs would not have barked continuously.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 05-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I don't care what type of dog it is, if you can't control it so as not to ruin other campers' experiences, don't bring it or don't camp.

Same with unruly kids. It's really simple...I pay for my site too so you don't gat a pass for disturbing me because you can't control your kids or dogs. (I have both by the way.)

If more campground owners would kick offenders out it would be a better world. Flame away, but if you are disturbing others, YOU are at fault.
We agree with you X100. We always try to be good neighbors and be courteous to others around us. We are also continually amazed at how many other fellow campers do not seem to be aware of how disrespectful they are, whether it is due to dogs, kids, generators, or just obnoxious behavior. And it doesn't seem to matter how old they are or whether they are full timers or weekenders. So we try to set an example for rude neighbors, and if it doesn't work... we move Life is too short to be around a#$&holes.

But that being said, we have also met a ton of fantastic campers and made lots of lifetime friends while RVing.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #26

Wow!! "Yes please do not adopt any rescue dogs". I rescued a dog and she has been the sweetest most loving dog I've ever had. All she wants to do is please. I have a soft spot for dogs and my experience has been that a rescued dog is much more humble and appreciative than ones that are raised from pups. But that's my experience.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
And as I stated....It's much worse in PAIRS. If there are 2 Dachshunds that weren't trained properly TOGETHER, you have no chance! Once again, this reflects POORLY ON THE OWNER! However, the breed is a HUGE challenge.

JustB I simply must disagree when you say "you have no chance".

I agree that you created a huge challenge when you bought 2 puppies at the same time. You signed up for the challenge and it takes a lot more work since the pups almost always bond with each other rather than to you. It is going to require a lot more work but you do have a chance. It just takes a lot more time and a lot more focused effort.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #28

I have a wonderful long haired dachshund and he spends most his time sleeping LOL We also have 2 older silky terriers. They use to all bark but once we went fulltime they have all calmed down. Willie is the sweetest dog and he's the youngest at 7. Almost everyone I meet that has a long haired dachshund says they same thing. Laid back and just lazy
Old 05-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
JustB I simply must disagree when you say "you have no chance".

I agree that you created a huge challenge when you bought 2 puppies at the same time. You signed up for the challenge and it takes a lot more work since the pups almost always bond with each other rather than to you. It is going to require a lot more work but you do have a chance. It just takes a lot more time and a lot more focused effort.
I have 2 dogs, but I don't have two Dachshunds. My experience comes when I get our somewhat trained Dachshund together with the inlaws Dashshund. The bark training goes out the window....period. I can get her to "stop" but that lasts about 15 seconds and it starts all over again.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #30

barking digs

I hate barking dogs next to us in a campground. We have had some experience with this at 1:00 AM in a state park. Owners left two yappers in a cage outside the camper than left all night. Had to wake up the ranger to haul them off.

Tags
door