Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #61

To all the people responding to the comment "please do not adopt rescue dogs" - that comment was posted (by someone else) to a person who said they adopted a rescue dog and it didn't work out so they "got rid of it." This kind of person should never adopt rescue dogs. For some people, they just would not "work out" because they have often never been with humans, have no socialization, don't know what "going outdoors" and "not going indoors" means, can be tremendously protective around food, and so forth. The scourge of dog rescues are people who adopt them and want to either return them a week later, dump them along some roadway (if lucky, to be rescued again), or take them to be put down because they "didn't work out."

I'm pretty sure the person who posted that comment would welcome people to adopt rescue dogs if they know what they are doing and what they are getting into, and if they swear an oath that they will not return or "get rid of" the rescued animal. They have been through enough already and deserve a home - a final home.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
W The entire time the motorhome was there two dachshunds who ran from window to window, up in the seats, across the dash of the motor home barking incessantly at any and everything they saw.
There is actually a fairly simple solution for dogs like this, even if the owners are unable to train them. We know this because our terrier is extremely territorial and despite extensive training efforts, he still is inclined to bark at all people passing by. The simple solution, especially when you are not in the unit, is to close the curtains or shades and the front window privacy shade or cover. The dog(s) will not be stressed out and will rest calmly and quietly inside.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
.......despite extensive training efforts, he still is inclined to bark at all people passing by.
Never understood that statement (that is heard much too often)
Old 05-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #64

It's not really the dogs that I would like to wring there necks, it's the sorry owners. It's about like kids, they misbehave in public they do the same at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
On a related issue, almost all US national parks will not allow pets on trails, even on a leash. Also, they do not allow pets alone in RV's. As a result, we have mostly avoided national parks.
What do the rest of you do?
Trails yes, but they are allowed in other areas (such as roads, sidewalks and bike trails), and we have found they are allowed to stay in an RV unit which is basically your home. There is no prohibition about this listed in park rules in several sites checked. However, it is not permitted to leave pets unattended on leashes or ropes, which is a very bad idea anyway for many reasons (e.g., bears, coyotes, becoming tangled and choking).

Pets - Yosemite National Parks

Pets - Glacier National Park

However, at Acadia National Park, pets are allowed on leash on over 100 miles of hiking trails and 45 miles of carriage roads. They do say, "Pets should not be left unattended. Summer sunshine poses a threat to pets in vehicles." - but it's clear they are talking about being left unattended outdoors or in vehicles where they could be a danger to others or could be in danger themselves.

Pets - Acadia National Park

I guess one could call a park office and ask them for their view, but if it's not listed in the posted rules, I wouldn't invite them to give you an unwritten rule over the phone. Also, I can't imagine anyone objecting to a pet in an RV as long as it's not bothering anyone, has adequate food, water and ventilation, and isn't barking and disturbing others when the owners are gone.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Never understood that statement (that is heard much too often)
I'm not going to argue with you about this, but we didn't get him until prior owners had to give him up and they did not train him not to bark and in fact may have trained him to be defensive. We have been retraining him for five years but his first instinct is to bark at all passers-by and visitors. Again, I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about this because we know our dog way better than you do, and for sure please don't post any comments suggesting using any form of violence against a pet (as was clearly suggested by at least one post in this thread).

Moreover, my point was that there are steps - easy steps - that can be taken by responsible pet owners whose pets bark to keep them from disturbing others in a campground.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I'm not going to argue with you about this, but we didn't get him until prior owners had to give him up and they did not train him not to bark and in fact may have trained him to be defensive. We have been retraining him for five years but his first instinct is to bark at all passers-by and visitors. Again, I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about this because we know our dog way better than you do, and for sure please don't post any comments suggesting using any form of violence against a pet (as was clearly suggested by at least one post in this thread).

Moreover, my point was that there are steps - easy steps - that can be taken by responsible pet owners whose pets bark to keep them from disturbing others in a campground.
The vet estimated Roscoe at age 2 - 3 when we rescued him just before he was to be put down. We have had him about q18 months. He is very loving and very protective. He has always been fine with the 2 dogs he lives with but still not great with strange dogs. Much better with known dogs of neighbors. He is great with some, but not all strangers and getting better. Not sure what his 1st few years was like but will make his last years make up for it as well as teach him right/wrong ~~ making progress slowly. Frustrating at times for both of us, but he is worth it.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #68

LOL has anyone heard of buying a decent bark collar?

I bought a German Shepherd Import when he was four months old. As soon as wife I established a bond with him formal training started. I had my WIFE take him through the first two levels of obedience since she was the one that needed training lol. When camping in our travel trailer he NEVER barks, since he has been properly socialized he is not aggressive toward humans or other dogs. He will growl at critters that come around at night but not bark because we took the time to properly train him. My daughter has a Weimaraner who has also been through training but the traiing stopped there and he still is a barker. They recently bought a travel trailer and are useing a high end bark collar and he does not bark while wearing it. Also i have a friend who has two Dachshunds and had to get the bark collars but they mind otherwise so it is possible to train them if you are willing to spend the time to do it. I have a travel trailer so my dog can go with us,thats the reason I have it. I might also add, I do not appreciate peooples children running through my camp sight and then coming to me saying they are afraid my dog might chase their kids.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #69

I've been following this thread with great interest, I never expected such vehement responses by some. I have a heartbreaking story to tell about our two Springers, but I may post that later. I will say this now though: NEVER judge your neighbor when you don't know all the facts. One time recently, we were in a campground in Sarasota surrounded by campers with dogs. One coach seemed unoccupied for long periods of time, with a small dog inside of it, barking every moment it was awake during the day. The wife was up and walked the dog in the early mornings but left for most of the day. Other campers approached us, thinking it might be ours. One of them even reported it to management. No one, however, bothered to seek out the woman in that coach. When she came home the next day, I caught her and politely asked if all was well, we were concerned about her dog barking and being alone all day. She turned white and started crying. On their second day there , her husband had a heart attack and WAS IN A NEARBY HOSPITAL. We offered to watch her dog for her during the day, and she couldn't have been more greatful. If you know dog behavior, then you know that dog was upset by the change in house routine. When he returned home, we met and became friends. Had we chastised her instead of offering to help, what good would have come from it?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest, I never expected such vehement responses by some. I have a heartbreaking story to tell about our two Springers, but I may post that later. I will say this now though: NEVER judge your neighbor when you don't know all the facts. One time recently, we were in a campground in Sarasota surrounded by campers with dogs. One coach seemed unoccupied for long periods of time, with a small dog inside of it, barking every moment it was awake during the day. The wife was up and walked the dog in the early mornings but left for most of the day. Other campers approached us, thinking it might be ours. One of them even reported it to management. No one, however, bothered to seek out the woman in that coach. When she came home the next day, I caught her and politely asked if all was well, we were concerned about her dog barking and being alone all day. She turned white and started crying. On their second day there , her husband had a heart attack and WAS IN A NEARBY HOSPITAL. We offered to watch her dog for her during the day, and she couldn't have been more greatful. If you know dog behavior, then you know that dog was upset by the change in house routine. When he returned home, we met and became friends. Had we chastised her instead of offering to help, what good would have come from it?
ALWAYS a back story....kudos to you for being compassionate!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #71
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
And by the by, DO adopt rescue dogs. I volunteer for a beagle rescue organization in Portland (I am 200 miles away in Washington) and got my current beagle from them. We flew him out from West Virginia (I think he was only passing through as he has all of his teeth).
A recurring theme of this lengthy thread has been the thoughtlessness of people.
Throughout history West Virginia has contributed more volunteers, per capita, to this nation's military. Mother's Day originated here. The first brick paved street in the U.S. Was laid in Charleston. The first Union soldier killed by enemy action in the Civil War was a West Virginian. The first municipally owned parking garage in the U.S. was in West Virginia. In 1862 the first public school operated by and for blacks was in West Virginia. In fact, the public school system employed by the entire country originated in West Virginia. The first patented soda fountain was in West Virginia. In 1928, Mrs. Harper, a member of the House of Delegates, was the first African American woman to become a member of a legislative body in the U.S.. The first 4H camp in the United States was established in West Virginia. The first electric railroad in the world was constructed in West Virginia and the stone for the Washington Monument was quarried in - you guessed it - West Virginia.
Well known people from West Virginia include General Chuck Yeager, John F. Nash, Jr., Bill Withers, Don Knotts, Pearl S. Buck, General Stonewall Jackson, Mary Lou Retton, and Steve Harvey.
In a mountainous, rural state with thousands of miles of waterways, it is challenging to provide services to our inhabitants that other "flatter" states take for granted. Yet people from around the country come to West Virginia regularly to hunt, fish, raft, hike, camp, and otherwise enjoy the recreational aspects of our geography. With all the challenges we face, the kind we don't need are the ones generated by rude, thoughtless, people that think they are being witty (but are only half right).
Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #72

WV is a beautiful state I drive through often. Fuel prices are highest on my trips but I cam always fill in Wytheville prior. The people are always pleasant. Charleston is a beautiful city. There is a lot of history throughout the state. In my younger days I hunted deer there. Everyone knows the portions of Rt 19 that are speed traps. If a vehicle problem on many roads the state sends someone. Had a blowout on my truck and called the non-emergency state police # and asked to have a someone sent. Was surprised to see a WV truck show up instead and a young man changed the tire (this old man is not doing that any longer). When asked what I owed he said nothing. I went to tip him and he said he could not take it. While he was putting his tools away I just happened to notice a $20 on the ground and told him if he did not pick up that litter it would blow away. On the other end, once on I-77 I was 1st behind an accident and called 911. A state trooper showed up within 10 minutes. Only minor injuries thankfully. He was the most rude and nasty SOB to those in the accident and to me and another that helped the victims before he arrived. His uniform must have been too tight in the crotch that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
A recurring theme of this lengthy thread has been the thoughtlessness of people.
Throughout history West Virginia has contributed more volunteers, per capita, to this nation's military. Mother's Day originated here. The first brick paved street in the U.S. Was laid in Charleston. The first Union soldier killed by enemy action in the Civil War was a West Virginian. The first municipally owned parking garage in the U.S. was in West Virginia. In 1862 the first public school operated by and for blacks was in West Virginia. In fact, the public school system employed by the entire country originated in West Virginia. The first patented soda fountain was in West Virginia. In 1928, Mrs. Harper, a member of the House of Delegates, was the first African American woman to become a member of a legislative body in the U.S.. The first 4H camp in the United States was established in West Virginia. The first electric railroad in the world was constructed in West Virginia and the stone for the Washington Monument was quarried in - you guessed it - West Virginia.
Well known people from West Virginia include General Chuck Yeager, John F. Nash, Jr., Bill Withers, Don Knotts, Pearl S. Buck, General Stonewall Jackson, Mary Lou Retton, and Steve Harvey.
In a mountainous, rural state with thousands of miles of waterways, it is challenging to provide services to our inhabitants that other "flatter" states take for granted. Yet people from around the country come to West Virginia regularly to hunt, fish, raft, hike, camp, and otherwise enjoy the recreational aspects of our geography. With all the challenges we face, the kind we don't need are the ones generated by rude, thoughtless, people that think they are being witty (but are only half right).
Old 05-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
That is one hell of an unnecessary diatribe for a joke. Consider the idea that this type of response, and its high-horse nature, is lacking as much thought as the comment for which it was written.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We had an absolutely horrible weekend last week I thought I’d let folks know about. I run AKC Retriever Field Trials and have 3 labs right now at home one is 13 and retired, one is 6 and competitive one is an up and comer pup. We went to a RV Park near a field trial and spent almost a week there during the week everything was great then Friday a motorhome pulled in next to us and setup. The entire time the motorhome was there two dachshunds who ran from window to window, up in the seats, across the dash of the motor home barking incessantly at any and everything they saw.

The folks who owned the motorhome spent little time there so the dogs just rampaged the entire time they were gone. We complained to the park personnel who spoke to them, we spoke to them and so did some other folks to no avail. Even when they would walk their dogs all they did was bark and be aggressive. As you can imagine my dogs have very good obedience and enjoy sitting on the patio with us in the evening while we enjoy the weather and a beverage or two , well not last weekend we spent our time inside the trailer to avoid the barking machines.

I say all this to remind myself and other folks that we have temporary neighbors and please be considerate of them. Teach your dog’s obedience and not to bark at everything. If you leave the trailer with a pet in it kennel the pet in an area where they don’t see everything going on around them. They’ll spend almost all of that time sleeping.
I think they camped by us in FLA last year
Old 05-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #75

Rescue Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
why not rescue? Is it because it is easier for you to train a breeder dog ? I prefer to own rescue dogs when the only other option is to kill them . You meet the dogs first, evaluate, and accept that they are going to require time. Until they are trained, you don't take them camping ! Our rescue has no issues camping, our highly bred Plott Hound, on the other hand stays home.
The reason I suggested one person to not rescue is because he gave the rescue to a farmer who shot the dog and killed it. I told that person that rescue people are willing (most of them) to accept the rescue back to avoid it being by killed as what happen in this case.

I have nothing against rescue dogs and there are very good dogs. When you rescue one they love you for like. There are rescue dogs that are better and easier to train the purebreds. A lot of the service dogs are rescue dogs.

If you are going to have your animal traveling with you, it is up to you to keep them happy along with keeping your neighbors happy. I don't like barking dogs just like OP. Crates are a great tool. I leave the crate door open and my dog goes in there for naps and at night because she wants to. When traveling, it gives her a sense of security.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 05-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
Before I comment on this, I want to make sure you actually meant to say "Yes please do not adopt any rescue dogs."
Yes I did. The poster I was referring to gave an adopted dog to a farmer who shot it. People can always give it back to the rescue group or the pound it came from and maybe it would of found a wonderful home.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #77
Sunseeker 2400MBW

well, in wrvond's defense, I am from Louisiana and live in WA state. The Southern jokes get old, old, veeerrryyy old...........
Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #78

After 2 days of barking our neighbors with 1 dog were evicted after a warning in Fl this winter.....Think they would learn
Old 05-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #79

DW and I were coming home one day and saw a dog that been dumped out, DW and I felt sorry for the dog and I brought it food the next day. I love dogs and I brought the dog home but dog would not stay home much, she liked to play with two little girls next door. Little girls Dad wanted to kill the dog so I put dog in about a 1/4 area fence. Named her Lucky, but sadly to say all she was good for was taking up space in this world. Take her out of the fence and when you called she did not know you. She would not walk on a leash, you fastened a leash to her collar and she would lay down. We kept Lucky for a long time and when she died me and DW cried. That was the last dog I'm going to cry over. That being said I don't like to hear barking dogs in the campground. Kids running through my site is another thing I don't like. At my house I have a 3,000 gallon goldfish pond that I don't want dogs in or little kids. I have good neighbors in my neighborhood. Most of the time when camping we have good neighbors but there is always a few

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #80
Done with this

Hey wrvond, being from KY isn't any better for the stupid jokes. Yes, I have shoes, all my teeth, and a full head of hair. I also lived in Beckley years ago.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
Closed Thread

Tags
door