Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
The bark training goes out the window....period. I can get her to "stop" but that lasts about 15 seconds and it starts all over again.

And

Increase the significance of the correction until it works.

One of our Labs is a jumper and he loves to jump up on people. I explained to him that was not a good idea and he never jumps on me or anyone else except my wife who just lets him and says she can't do anything about it.

Remember, it's always the dog who sets the level of correction when they are in a pack and yes they are in a pack at my house and yes I am the alpha dog.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
And

Increase the significance of the correction until it works.

One of our Labs is a jumper and he loves to jump up on people. I explained to him that was not a good idea and he never jumps on me or anyone else except my wife who just lets him and says she can't do anything about it.

Remember, it's always the dog who sets the level of correction when they are in a pack and yes they are in a pack at my house and yes I am the alpha dog.
And how would you propose I do this with people around? I prefer to stay out of jail If I isolate the dog, the problem gets worse. I also can not correct the inlaws dog, which also extends the problem. It's easy to say when you're not the one trying to keep the dog in line As I've stated, I've gotten what is now OUR Dachshund under control when shes alone. I know how to discipline her. When she's around the other Dachshund, she no longer can hear, or respond to what works when she's alone. And put a rabbit outside and there is no thought process inside the dogs head except GET THE RABBIT. It's even more stubborn when you're trying to remove said rabbit from its mouth!

EDIT: I learned something a few years ago from a life coach that my employer brought in at the time. There is ALWAYS a backstory.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #33

I'd have her hearing tested if you really think she can't hear.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #34

why not rescue? Is it because it is easier for you to train a breeder dog ? I prefer to own rescue dogs when the only other option is to kill them . You meet the dogs first, evaluate, and accept that they are going to require time. Until they are trained, you don't take them camping ! Our rescue has no issues camping, our highly bred Plott Hound, on the other hand stays home.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
And how would you propose I do this with people around? I prefer to stay out of jail If I isolate the dog, the problem gets worse. I also can not correct the inlaws dog, which also extends the problem. It's easy to say when you're not the one trying to keep the dog in line As I've stated, I've gotten what is now OUR Dachshund under control when shes alone. I know how to discipline her. When she's around the other Dachshund, she no longer can hear, or respond to what works when she's alone. And put a rabbit outside and there is no thought process inside the dogs head except GET THE RABBIT. It's even more stubborn when you're trying to remove said rabbit from its mouth!

EDIT: I learned something a few years ago from a life coach that my employer brought in at the time. There is ALWAYS a backstory.
I would say when you know you will be in this situation, don't bring your dog.

Years ago we made the decision to leave our dog at home when RVing unless we were going to the wilderness where there was nobody else around. Now that she passed we made the decision to not get another pet as we are RVing almost constantly and couldn't see limiting ourselves with scheduling around a pet.

When we pull into an RV park we always request neighbors without pets if possible. But it's amazing how many folks RV with pets these days...

and not everybody enjoys your pets as much as you do
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 05-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #36

Bad Dog. Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I don't care what type of dog it is, if you can't control it so as not to ruin other campers' experiences, don't bring it or don't camp.

Same with unruly kids. It's really simple...I pay for my site too so you don't gat a pass for disturbing me because you can't control your kids or dogs. (I have both by the way.)

If more campground owners would kick offenders out it would be a better world. Flame away, but if you are disturbing others, YOU are at fault.
X10
Old 05-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would say when you know you will be in this situation, don't bring your dog.

Years ago we made the decision to leave our dog at home when RVing unless we were going to the wilderness where there was nobody else around. Now that she passed we made the decision to not get another pet as we are RVing almost constantly and couldn't see limiting ourselves with scheduling around a pet.

When we pull into an RV park we always request neighbors without pets if possible. But it's amazing how many folks RV with pets these days...

and not everybody enjoys your pets as much as you do
Once again...Our dog is fine when alone....which is how we go RVING. Originally All I stated is that Dachshunds are a difficult breed to deal with and the owners were ignorant....a perfect storm for irritable people to be hacked off.....but apparently that's a difficult concept for people to grasp.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Yes please do not adopt any rescue dogs. I know rescue people and if you would of called them, they would of taken the dog back. When I had to give up a rescue (that I loved very much) I went to the adoption event and talked to her new family. I did not hide the fact that she was alpha and had attacked my other dog. She was a very loving dog.

On another note, if you are in a National Park you can not leave your pets in a locked car. I think if your animal is not being a nuisance when you are gone they can stay in your trailer. They must have good ventilation. I will check out this rule again. Since I can't hike very far, I usually stay with the dog. Service dogs are allowed on National Park trails.
Before I comment on this, I want to make sure you actually meant to say "Yes please do not adopt any rescue dogs."
Old 05-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #39

We have a Chi-weenie. He is 1 1/2 yr old. When I or the wife tell him something he listens. he will not bark unless i tell thim to. Its all in how much time is spent with them and making them mind. We can leave him in the kennel in the trailer several hours and you will not hear anything out of him. We try not to very much because he is our friend and enjoys traveling with us even on the motorcycle.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #40

We have 2 dogs that go in the RV with us. Both males. One is a Maltese Shitzu mix, the other is a Maltese. The mix is older and is the alpha. He will bark and be an *ss. Until we put his bark collar on him. Once he has his collar on, not a peep. I'm pretty sure the batteries died several years ago, but he knows to be quite when it is on him. He still likes to watch out the windows, but he does not bark. This might not be the approach for everyone, but it does work. The Maltese never has been vocal.

Closed Thread

Tags
door