Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #61

To all the people responding to the comment "please do not adopt rescue dogs" - that comment was posted (by someone else) to a person who said they adopted a rescue dog and it didn't work out so they "got rid of it." This kind of person should never adopt rescue dogs. For some people, they just would not "work out" because they have often never been with humans, have no socialization, don't know what "going outdoors" and "not going indoors" means, can be tremendously protective around food, and so forth. The scourge of dog rescues are people who adopt them and want to either return them a week later, dump them along some roadway (if lucky, to be rescued again), or take them to be put down because they "didn't work out."

I'm pretty sure the person who posted that comment would welcome people to adopt rescue dogs if they know what they are doing and what they are getting into, and if they swear an oath that they will not return or "get rid of" the rescued animal. They have been through enough already and deserve a home - a final home.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
W The entire time the motorhome was there two dachshunds who ran from window to window, up in the seats, across the dash of the motor home barking incessantly at any and everything they saw.
There is actually a fairly simple solution for dogs like this, even if the owners are unable to train them. We know this because our terrier is extremely territorial and despite extensive training efforts, he still is inclined to bark at all people passing by. The simple solution, especially when you are not in the unit, is to close the curtains or shades and the front window privacy shade or cover. The dog(s) will not be stressed out and will rest calmly and quietly inside.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
.......despite extensive training efforts, he still is inclined to bark at all people passing by.
Never understood that statement (that is heard much too often)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #64

It's not really the dogs that I would like to wring there necks, it's the sorry owners. It's about like kids, they misbehave in public they do the same at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
On a related issue, almost all US national parks will not allow pets on trails, even on a leash. Also, they do not allow pets alone in RV's. As a result, we have mostly avoided national parks.
What do the rest of you do?
Trails yes, but they are allowed in other areas (such as roads, sidewalks and bike trails), and we have found they are allowed to stay in an RV unit which is basically your home. There is no prohibition about this listed in park rules in several sites checked. However, it is not permitted to leave pets unattended on leashes or ropes, which is a very bad idea anyway for many reasons (e.g., bears, coyotes, becoming tangled and choking).

Pets - Yosemite National Parks

Pets - Glacier National Park

However, at Acadia National Park, pets are allowed on leash on over 100 miles of hiking trails and 45 miles of carriage roads. They do say, "Pets should not be left unattended. Summer sunshine poses a threat to pets in vehicles." - but it's clear they are talking about being left unattended outdoors or in vehicles where they could be a danger to others or could be in danger themselves.

Pets - Acadia National Park

I guess one could call a park office and ask them for their view, but if it's not listed in the posted rules, I wouldn't invite them to give you an unwritten rule over the phone. Also, I can't imagine anyone objecting to a pet in an RV as long as it's not bothering anyone, has adequate food, water and ventilation, and isn't barking and disturbing others when the owners are gone.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Never understood that statement (that is heard much too often)
I'm not going to argue with you about this, but we didn't get him until prior owners had to give him up and they did not train him not to bark and in fact may have trained him to be defensive. We have been retraining him for five years but his first instinct is to bark at all passers-by and visitors. Again, I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about this because we know our dog way better than you do, and for sure please don't post any comments suggesting using any form of violence against a pet (as was clearly suggested by at least one post in this thread).

Moreover, my point was that there are steps - easy steps - that can be taken by responsible pet owners whose pets bark to keep them from disturbing others in a campground.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I'm not going to argue with you about this, but we didn't get him until prior owners had to give him up and they did not train him not to bark and in fact may have trained him to be defensive. We have been retraining him for five years but his first instinct is to bark at all passers-by and visitors. Again, I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about this because we know our dog way better than you do, and for sure please don't post any comments suggesting using any form of violence against a pet (as was clearly suggested by at least one post in this thread).

Moreover, my point was that there are steps - easy steps - that can be taken by responsible pet owners whose pets bark to keep them from disturbing others in a campground.
The vet estimated Roscoe at age 2 - 3 when we rescued him just before he was to be put down. We have had him about q18 months. He is very loving and very protective. He has always been fine with the 2 dogs he lives with but still not great with strange dogs. Much better with known dogs of neighbors. He is great with some, but not all strangers and getting better. Not sure what his 1st few years was like but will make his last years make up for it as well as teach him right/wrong ~~ making progress slowly. Frustrating at times for both of us, but he is worth it.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #68

LOL has anyone heard of buying a decent bark collar?

I bought a German Shepherd Import when he was four months old. As soon as wife I established a bond with him formal training started. I had my WIFE take him through the first two levels of obedience since she was the one that needed training lol. When camping in our travel trailer he NEVER barks, since he has been properly socialized he is not aggressive toward humans or other dogs. He will growl at critters that come around at night but not bark because we took the time to properly train him. My daughter has a Weimaraner who has also been through training but the traiing stopped there and he still is a barker. They recently bought a travel trailer and are useing a high end bark collar and he does not bark while wearing it. Also i have a friend who has two Dachshunds and had to get the bark collars but they mind otherwise so it is possible to train them if you are willing to spend the time to do it. I have a travel trailer so my dog can go with us,thats the reason I have it. I might also add, I do not appreciate peooples children running through my camp sight and then coming to me saying they are afraid my dog might chase their kids.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #69

I've been following this thread with great interest, I never expected such vehement responses by some. I have a heartbreaking story to tell about our two Springers, but I may post that later. I will say this now though: NEVER judge your neighbor when you don't know all the facts. One time recently, we were in a campground in Sarasota surrounded by campers with dogs. One coach seemed unoccupied for long periods of time, with a small dog inside of it, barking every moment it was awake during the day. The wife was up and walked the dog in the early mornings but left for most of the day. Other campers approached us, thinking it might be ours. One of them even reported it to management. No one, however, bothered to seek out the woman in that coach. When she came home the next day, I caught her and politely asked if all was well, we were concerned about her dog barking and being alone all day. She turned white and started crying. On their second day there , her husband had a heart attack and WAS IN A NEARBY HOSPITAL. We offered to watch her dog for her during the day, and she couldn't have been more greatful. If you know dog behavior, then you know that dog was upset by the change in house routine. When he returned home, we met and became friends. Had we chastised her instead of offering to help, what good would have come from it?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest, I never expected such vehement responses by some. I have a heartbreaking story to tell about our two Springers, but I may post that later. I will say this now though: NEVER judge your neighbor when you don't know all the facts. One time recently, we were in a campground in Sarasota surrounded by campers with dogs. One coach seemed unoccupied for long periods of time, with a small dog inside of it, barking every moment it was awake during the day. The wife was up and walked the dog in the early mornings but left for most of the day. Other campers approached us, thinking it might be ours. One of them even reported it to management. No one, however, bothered to seek out the woman in that coach. When she came home the next day, I caught her and politely asked if all was well, we were concerned about her dog barking and being alone all day. She turned white and started crying. On their second day there , her husband had a heart attack and WAS IN A NEARBY HOSPITAL. We offered to watch her dog for her during the day, and she couldn't have been more greatful. If you know dog behavior, then you know that dog was upset by the change in house routine. When he returned home, we met and became friends. Had we chastised her instead of offering to help, what good would have come from it?
ALWAYS a back story....kudos to you for being compassionate!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Closed Thread

Tags
door