Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Horrible dogs next door

We had an absolutely horrible weekend last week I thought I’d let folks know about. I run AKC Retriever Field Trials and have 3 labs right now at home one is 13 and retired, one is 6 and competitive one is an up and comer pup. We went to a RV Park near a field trial and spent almost a week there during the week everything was great then Friday a motorhome pulled in next to us and setup. The entire time the motorhome was there two dachshunds who ran from window to window, up in the seats, across the dash of the motor home barking incessantly at any and everything they saw.

The folks who owned the motorhome spent little time there so the dogs just rampaged the entire time they were gone. We complained to the park personnel who spoke to them, we spoke to them and so did some other folks to no avail. Even when they would walk their dogs all they did was bark and be aggressive. As you can imagine my dogs have very good obedience and enjoy sitting on the patio with us in the evening while we enjoy the weather and a beverage or two , well not last weekend we spent our time inside the trailer to avoid the barking machines.

I say all this to remind myself and other folks that we have temporary neighbors and please be considerate of them. Teach your dog’s obedience and not to bark at everything. If you leave the trailer with a pet in it kennel the pet in an area where they don’t see everything going on around them. They’ll spend almost all of that time sleeping.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

I agree on all fronts....However, its hard to teach a Dachshund anything. My wife had a 2 year old (Now 6) that when I met her had to on a leash IN THE HOUSE! There were gates all over to contain her. She barked at EVERYTHING. I've gotten it to the point with some harsh obedience (the dog really doesn't like me) that it doesn't need to be on a leash in the house, all but 1 gate is gone and it has toned down most of the barking. They are stubborn as a board and when the get something on their mind (Rabbits...squirrels....birds) they can't let it go.

Dachshunds have SEVERE separation anxiety. They will do anything to be with their person, and even from a puppy will go to great lengths to see where their owners are. Watch youtube...very entertaining.

https://youtu.be/sbh4Ho_keWU

We've tried drugging ours, but the drugs wig her out and take too long to both take effect and wear off. Luckily, we purchased a camper with a back door, and she's too stupid to realize we're gone when we both walk out through the bathroom and don't come back for a few hours. If we walk out the main door, she will bark and howl until the cows come home. We've sat outside and listened for up to an hour (while no neighbors were around) before we just gave up and didn't go on our planned events.

We always try to book a sight on the end so we're less likely to disturb people, and are always aware of when our neighbors are there or not. Some people are more ignorant than others. My inlaws regularly get complaints about their Dachsy......and they're MUCH worse in pairs!

Like I said, I totally agree with you....but in this case, it's a breed thing as far as how the dogs behaved. Now the owner leaving them constantly...that's ignorance.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Little Yappy dogs can ruin a whole campground setting putting everyone on edge. Our Aussie is a real laid back quiet dog and an easy camper.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #4

Sad how some folks have no respect for others. This is why some RV parks do not allow pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I agree on all fronts....However, its hard to teach a Dachshund anything. My wife had a 2 year old (Now 6) that when I met her had to on a leash IN THE HOUSE! There were gates all over to contain her. She barked at EVERYTHING. I've gotten it to the point with some harsh obedience (the dog really doesn't like me) that it doesn't need to be on a leash in the house, all but 1 gate is gone and it has toned down most of the barking. They are stubborn as a board and when the get something on their mind (Rabbits...squirrels....birds) they can't let it go.

Dachshunds have SEVERE separation anxiety. They will do anything to be with their person, and even from a puppy will go to great lengths to see where their owners are. Watch youtube...very entertaining.

We've tried drugging ours, but the drugs wig her out and take too long to both take effect and wear off. Luckily, we purchased a camper with a back door, and she's too stupid to realize we're gone when we both walk out through the bathroom and don't come back for a few hours. If we walk out the main door, she will bark and howl until the cows come home. We've sat outside and listened for up to an hour (while no neighbors were around) before we just gave up and didn't go on our planned events.

We always try to book a sight on the end so we're less likely to disturb people, and are always aware of when our neighbors are there or not. Some people are more ignorant than others. My inlaws regularly get complaints about their Dachsy......and they're MUCH worse in pairs!

Like I said, I totally agree with you....but in this case, it's a breed thing as far as how the dogs behaved. Now the owner leaving them constantly...that's ignorance.
Not doubting your experiences... I know people who have Datsuns(as I call them) who are well behaved. I have a mixed dog who is out of control as well. I think mostly it is the disposition of the dog. JMO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

I've learned a little bit over the years about training dogs and the single best method is repetition. We teach puppies to behave and to realize a kennel is their home. They learn early that the kennel is theirs and it's sanctuary for them. All of our dogs are kenneled when we leave or go to bed wheter we are at home or in the 5th wheel so it's normal for them. Even when we are home my dogs will go into their kennel and take a nap with the door open. We teach sit, here, lay down and quiet to all dogs from day one.

Many field trailers have what we call truck dogs westies, boston terroirs, jack russells, dachunds, and lots of mutts almost all of the dogs attend the trials and are kept on lead, all are very well mannered. It's not that hard to do. The dog whisperer show is great for obedience and understanding how dogs think.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
AMEN Dkritter! You have hit the nail on the head!!

It's not the dogs that have an issue....it's the lame owners!
I too work with dogs and totally agree with you.

Our dogs (1 lab and 1 border collie) know they HAVE to be good.
Matter a fact they are better behaved than some kids we have come across.

Good luck on your field trials...and have fun.
We do Barn Hunt and Nose Work. We have also done, Frisbee, dock diving and agility.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

I have a different situation. I have 2 female Yorkies. Both are breeder release, meaning they BOTH where puppy mill mommies, spent their lives in a kennel all 8 and 9 years. They never had human reaction except to be breed and puppies removed. No vet, no grooming. Now that they have love, NO kennels, and run of the house, they both have separation anxiety. They will bark for a short while I leave their sight and again when I get home. I ALWAYS explain to my camping neighbors all about them and let them meet. I have never had anyone complain about them after they find out the girl's past. Be open and talk to the neighbors sure helps. I do take them with me whenever possible .
2011 Greywolf 26rl
Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

On a related issue, almost all US national parks will not allow pets on trails, even on a leash. Also, they do not allow pets alone in RV's. As a result, we have mostly avoided national parks.
What do the rest of you do?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

No excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post

I don't care what type of dog it is, if you can't control it so as not to ruin other campers' experiences, don't bring it or don't camp.

Same with unruly kids. It's really simple...I pay for my site too so you don't gat a pass for disturbing me because you can't control your kids or dogs. (I have both by the way.)

If more campground owners would kick offenders out it would be a better world. Flame away, but if you are disturbing others, YOU are at fault.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I don't care what type of dog it is, if you can't control it so as not to ruin other campers' experiences, don't bring it or don't camp.

Same with unruly kids. It's really simple...I pay for my site too so you don't gat a pass for disturbing me because you can't control your kids or dogs. (I have both by the way.)

If more campground owners would kick offenders out it would be a better world. Flame away, but if you are disturbing others, YOU are at fault.
Did you miss the part where I said I agreed and said the owners were ignorant?

Honestly until I tried training this Dachshund, I thought the same thing. They are literally a different breed! Ours acts like she can't hear me 90% of the time, even when I'm being nice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund

And as I stated....It's much worse in PAIRS. If there are 2 Dachshunds that weren't trained properly TOGETHER, you have no chance! Once again, this reflects POORLY ON THE OWNER! However, the breed is a HUGE challenge.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #12

I agree, it's training and obedience (or lack of).

Dogs have to be trained that they are not the Alpha, the owner has to be the Alpha to control the dogs.

It is well worth some $$ spent to go to a dog training that can teach both the dogs and owners. It took me a while to figure that out.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Sad how some folks have no respect for others. This is why some RV parks do not allow pets.
Same could be said for some children!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #14

The problem is, you can tell some dog owners that their dogs are a**holes, but they have not the slightest clue how to correct that behavior. Give me 2 minutes with those dogs, and they'll stop, but hand the leash back to the owner and they will act right up again. Dogs need strong leaders, especially dogs who act as leaders. But in your case, those two little dogs are the pack leaders, not the humans. You could send those two dogs to obedience school, but the humans would also need some dog psychology training for that to work. Personally, I don't tolerate my pups acting like that. Makes me crazy.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
larryandamy

Not bad dog's... Just bad dog owners.

I love dogs and have always had dogs. We used to breed Golden Retrievers and have had dogs for the last 40 years.
We always take our dogs through two 6 week training sessions and our dogs are always well behaved.
I will not own a dog that does not follow commands.
They ALWAYS come when I call them... every time.
If they are barking and I tell them "No"... They stop.
They bark when I give them the "speak" command.
When people ask me how is it that we always have such great dogs.
The answer is simple. You take the time and effort to train them properly.
Buy them as puppies (6-8 weeks old)... buy them from a good breeder (not pet stores or puppy mills) and test their temperment.
When you get a rescue dog, you may get lucky and get a great dog, but usually you get a dog that is from a previous bad owner.
If you spend 15 minutes a day with them to train them on the "Come","No" and "Leave it" commands between 6 weeks to 6 months old.
And then you take them to classes when they are 5 to 6 months old.
This is where you learn how to be a good dog owner.

I say that there is no such thing as a bad dog... Only bad dog owners...
But I admit that there are some dogs that are not as good as others and some that are so bad, that I would never own them.
My Mom always had Dachshunds and they always barked and her house always smelled like dog droppings. But she was a bad owner.
I had a dog once that I just could not train (a rescue dog) and I got rid of it. Why would I want a dog that does not obey and that degrades quality of life for me and those around me? I gave it to a farmer and he ended up shooting it.

But most dogs are good dogs and trainable...
Unfortunately, many dog owners are not.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #16
CDR USN Ret

Quote:

X2
Old 05-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

If there is a list or book that lists them, I would like to get one.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:

X2

Having trained dogs all my life.....it is ALWAYS the owner's fault.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #19

My son in law had a coon hound. He thought that it would train itself because he never did. I have owned 4 bouviers, a black lab, a mix and a small dog. I don't care what kind of dog you have, if you don't train it to be obedient, you aren't much of an owner. We live 2000 miles away from that coon hound and when talking to our daughter on the phone my ears would hurt from that idiot barking dog. Drove us crazier when we were dry camping with them. Sorry to say I had a great dislike for that dog. It would obey me but not the man who owned it.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #20

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
I say that there is no such thing as a bad dog... Only bad dog owners...
But I admit that there are some dogs that are not as good as others and some that are so bad, that I would never own them.
My Mom always had Dachshunds and they always barked and her house always smelled like dog droppings. But she was a bad owner.
I had a dog once that I just could not train (a rescue dog) and I got rid of it. Why would I want a dog that does not obey and that degrades quality of life for me and those around me? I gave it to a farmer and he ended up shooting it.

But most dogs are good dogs and trainable...
Unfortunately, many dog owners are not.
Yes please do not adopt any rescue dogs. I know rescue people and if you would of called them, they would of taken the dog back. When I had to give up a rescue (that I loved very much) I went to the adoption event and talked to her new family. I did not hide the fact that she was alpha and had attacked my other dog. She was a very loving dog.

On another note, if you are in a National Park you can not leave your pets in a locked car. I think if your animal is not being a nuisance when you are gone they can stay in your trailer. They must have good ventilation. I will check out this rule again. Since I can't hike very far, I usually stay with the dog. Service dogs are allowed on National Park trails.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Closed Thread

Tags
door