Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #1

Horrible, wonderful trip

We recently completed a 4-week trip through the NE USA and Canada. It was a horrible yet wonderful trip. Two days driving in the rain on the way up to Forillon National Park near Gaspe, Quebec. Talk about some interesting uphill, downhill roads. Then the weather broke, and we had some of the prettiest fall weather I have seen in years. But we spent two days finding and getting someone with a portable welder to fix the broken bracket connecting our axle springs to the camper frame. The rear U-bracket between the trailer frame and spring broke at the bends. As he was fixing the one on the curb side, I noticed that the one on the road side was cracked, so he welded that one also. But we saw whales and porcupines. Lots of bear scat, and no moose.

Then we went to Cape Breton, in part to eat lobster and ride the Cabot Trail. Two more days of rain, in addition to lots of road construction, and lobsters being out of season changed those plans. But then it cleared it up, and we had a great visit and ate local mussels instead. Until the DW got a bad case of intestinal disfortitude from eating some bad chowder. That cost us a day.

Next stop was Kejimkujik in lower Nova Scotia. Lots of backwaters to explore so another two days of rain didn't dampen things too much. The Seaside portion of this park is wonderful. The two lights in our slide out over our couch burned out within a few days of each other. Still no lobster season.

On to Fundy National Park. The ferry ride across the bay was rainy so not near as scenic as we had hoped. Another couple days of rain at Fundy, but we got to see the tidal bore (true tidal wave) at Moncton. Last time i was there was when I was 10 years old, during a solar eclipse. Funny National Park was near empty, but we got out just before it filled back up for Canada's thanksgiving weekend. Still no lobster season.

Then a stop at Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor, Maine. That place was packed. About as bad as Yellowstone or Zion. It was the end of the season and the weather was mild, so everyone was out and about. Schoodic Point was very nice and not near as crowded. We spent a day at Stonington where I had spent a couple weeks as a child, and haven't been back since. Finally got some lobsters.

We stopped at LL Bean on the way home and the DW was disappointed in that. Then we drove home in the rain for another couple days. About a half hour from home, we got a flat tire on the camper and had to change that in the rain.

So I guess all the bad things that happened are just part of camping and "events occur". We got them handled and just went on with our trip. Got some good memories and photos, and things to talk about. Already planning our next trip.
whr2nxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #2

Thanks for the post....if only more people on here could be so positive instead of constantly venting their issues.
Been to several of those sites and totally agrr with your comments...I was luck though - no rain.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great trip.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Always Learning

Glad you were able to take the bad with the good. A lot of those are seriously frustrating and easy to let get the best of you.

When you can, please post pictures!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whr2nxt View Post
We recently completed a 4-week trip through the NE USA and Canada. It was a horrible yet wonderful trip. Two days driving in the rain on the way up to Forillon National Park near Gaspe, Quebec. Talk about some interesting uphill, downhill roads. Then the weather broke, and we had some of the prettiest fall weather I have seen in years. But we spent two days finding and getting someone with a portable welder to fix the broken bracket connecting our axle springs to the camper frame. The rear U-bracket between the trailer frame and spring broke at the bends. As he was fixing the one on the curb side, I noticed that the one on the road side was cracked, so he welded that one also. But we saw whales and porcupines. Lots of bear scat, and no moose.

Then we went to Cape Breton, in part to eat lobster and ride the Cabot Trail. Two more days of rain, in addition to lots of road construction, and lobsters being out of season changed those plans. But then it cleared it up, and we had a great visit and ate local mussels instead. Until the DW got a bad case of intestinal disfortitude from eating some bad chowder. That cost us a day.

Next stop was Kejimkujik in lower Nova Scotia. Lots of backwaters to explore so another two days of rain didn't dampen things too much. The Seaside portion of this park is wonderful. The two lights in our slide out over our couch burned out within a few days of each other. Still no lobster season.

On to Fundy National Park. The ferry ride across the bay was rainy so not near as scenic as we had hoped. Another couple days of rain at Fundy, but we got to see the tidal bore (true tidal wave) at Moncton. Last time i was there was when I was 10 years old, during a solar eclipse. Funny National Park was near empty, but we got out just before it filled back up for Canada's thanksgiving weekend. Still no lobster season.

Then a stop at Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor, Maine. That place was packed. About as bad as Yellowstone or Zion. It was the end of the season and the weather was mild, so everyone was out and about. Schoodic Point was very nice and not near as crowded. We spent a day at Stonington where I had spent a couple weeks as a child, and haven't been back since. Finally got some lobsters.

We stopped at LL Bean on the way home and the DW was disappointed in that. Then we drove home in the rain for another couple days. About a half hour from home, we got a flat tire on the camper and had to change that in the rain.

So I guess all the bad things that happened are just part of camping and "events occur". We got them handled and just went on with our trip. Got some good memories and photos, and things to talk about. Already planning our next trip.
The high points of your trip are why we continue to go on our trips. Overcoming small stuff along the way just makes me happier for the rewards and more confident about successfully completing the next trip.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Thanks for the great tips on your trip. We are hoping to make the trip into ‘The Great White North’ on the east side sometime. Great to hear you were able to remain safe and have a good time and attitude thru it all!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #7

Yep, sounds like a typical trip to me! And Bah Hawba has great lobster for sure. I am hearing of a trip again this coming summer again. Im just the monkey with the tools, who keeps everything fixed along the way. Glad you had a safe trip and new experiences to remember!

"Living the Dream" one year at a time.

Wannabretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

LOL, I'm called the trunk monkey. When things go wrong she just pushes the button and I pop out and go to work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_130718.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	189959  
Wannabretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:47 AM   #9

The operative words this summer were rain, and heat. I said many times this year- " when it stops raining we come out and talk. When the rain falls we disappear inside. That is camping. You puts your nickel in and gets what comes out." Camped 104 days, probably rained or too hot to do much 75 of those days. Yet, I was not ready to go home. Now winterized and anxiously awaiting next season. See you all out there.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #10
Multi-Slacker

Considering all the fires we have going here in CA some rain would be mighty nice. Instead we have winds from 20 - 40 mph and 8% humidity. Sure did make for a nice trip last week though.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #11
NH Maple Maker

I'm glad that you finally got some lobster. I had some on Columbus Day weekend in Cape Neddick ME. I don't think that there is a season on them here in the states. They are more expensive and harder to get in the winter though. Lobster rolls seem to have season because they are harder to find after Labor Day.

Camping was a challenge this summer for sure. We took it all in stride like you did and had some fun despite the rain and the heat. Even though just about all of the campgrounds close after Columbus Day weekend I have seen a lot of RV's on the road after that this year. Every time I see one I wish that I could go camping again.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #12

Thank you for sharing. I love the Gaspe ( and have done it in the rain on my bike) and Cape Breton, especially hwy 19 thru Inverness and Glenora( single malt whiskey). The people are awesome and love to yarn awhile in the small villages. Oh, and golfing in Inverness- Wow!!
I think lobster season moves around Nova Scotia so everyone gets a turn. But you can always get fresh lobster in Halifax.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote