Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

How "Safe" Are You?

So, on another thread (Cash?? Credit Cards??) folks started talking about installing Safes in their RVs.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, I am starting this thread to discuss to main points:

1. Do you feel there is a need for a safe? Do you feel "safe" (i.e. from break-ins when you are away from your camper?)

2. Have you installed a safe in your Rig? If so where are some good installation places?

Note: For your personal security, I recommend you do not post picts or discuss specific safe locations since this is a public forum (in fact, i would hope specifics will be dealt with in PM between the interested parties).

OK, Thread is open, post away!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #2

I think that would be a good option to have when you buy a new RV. I will put one in
my new one when it gets here

Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #3

No. We don't generally keep valuables in our rig when traveling. Our wallets/cash go with us. Then again we maybe carry 100 in cash with us. We do tend to keep our passports in the rig (we routinely camp cross border), but they are well hidden and someone pulling a glorified smash and grab would not likely find them in time.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

I carry a cardboard sign that says 'will work for fuel'
Trips take longer though
No need for a safe...cash or cc

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
No. We don't generally keep valuables in our rig when traveling. Our wallets/cash go with us. Then again we maybe carry 100 in cash with us. We do tend to keep our passports in the rig (we routinely camp cross border), but they are well hidden and someone pulling a glorified smash and grab would not likely find them in time.
X2 on this. Passports stay in the rig/DW's purse. Credit and cash all on person. And we don't camp anywhere that there isn't other people relatively nearby so the dogs help deter any kind of smash and grab at the trailer. People like that don't want the attention caused by a couple of barking dogs.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Site Team

We don't carry much cash, in fact maybe I need to have a sign that says "driver carries less than $20". We keep our cards on our persons. We also feel the campgrounds we stay in are relatively safe so we don't feel the need for a safe. DH does keep a camping axe handy in the bedroom just in case but I think a barking dog is enough of a deterrent., no matter how friendly the dog. Then again, I used to work nightshift in one of the mist dangerous cities in the country (was ranked #1 for murders) so my perspective may be a little skewed.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #7

I posted the pic on the other site and don't really think someone is going to be able to find me and my RV amongst all the Wildcats out there, just to get at my stuff.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #8

Is Indiana a safe state? Should we buy a safe at the FR Accessories Store at Goshen? I understand coolers and golf carts get taken often.

We carry minimal cash and use credit mostly. We also have a barking dog but the camping axe is in the basement. Where we camp in the middle of no where Ontario Provincial Parks only had a sat dish stolen in the middle of the night cables and chain cut.

Brian
Old 07-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Old Enough to Know Better

As stated above we leave nothing in the rig except the expensive TV's :-)
But our rig has a physical safe it a PIA to get to and not really all that secure.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #10

We have always felt safe when traveling.Mr.Kimber resides right by my left door panel when we are driving.On my right hip when I'm walking around and in the drawer by my bed when we sleep.Dog barks when something goes bump.Cash stays in my wallet along with the CC.DW keeps the rest in her purse.I hate traveling back east as you need a long list to see where you can carry or not.Not paranoid,but like the feel of good leather in my waist band. A safe bolted in a camper just doesn't seem safe.