Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

I 70 through Denver and Rockies in January

Our plan: Leave Minnesota and meet up with friends in Las Vegas - 24' Sunseeker MBS diesel towing a 4WD CRV. Plan to watch the weather closely across the plains and disconnect the CRV in Denver. If the forecast is bad there head south to Albuquerque. We have heard I 70 is the most scenic. I have many years of experience driving in snow. Is I 70 an option in January?
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
Our plan: Leave Minnesota and meet up with friends in Las Vegas - 24' Sunseeker MBS diesel towing a 4WD CRV. Plan to watch the weather closely across the plains and disconnect the CRV in Denver. If the forecast is bad there head south to Albuquerque. We have heard I 70 is the most scenic. I have many years of experience driving in snow. Is I 70 an option in January?
Sure it's doable, just watch the weather. Who told you 70 was scenic?....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Always Learning

Based on the signs that we saw, it seems like you are required to have chains in the vehicle with you during the fall/winter months. I went through there in very early October and didn't have them, but the weather was fine. I'm know I've read of it being closed down a couple of times for foul weather since then (in fact, just a couple of weeks after we went through there).

I can't tell you if it was scenic or not, we left Colorado Springs in the dark and drove to Avon, CO. We didn't really see anything outside of the highway.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

Chain laws go into effect whenever inclement weather moves in. You can check cotrip.org which will have that info. That site also has access to real time road cameras throughout the state. We use it all the time.

Here is a brochure for chain laws. https://www.codot.gov/library/Brochu...enger-vehicles

Only commercial vehicles are required to carry chains and can be fined for not having them. If the chain law is in effect and you don't have them, expect you will be delayed until the weather improves. Cdot had made a real effort to keep unprepared vehicles off the winter roads since last year, but a modicum of common sense should keep you out of trouble. Just follow the brochure. If it is dumping snow and forecast for some time, a long trip to the south would be wise. It can get bad there too between Denver and Colorado Springs or the Raton area. That is where the cotrip site is fantastic. Just stay on top of the forecasts and you will be fine. It is a scenic drive and worth it. One other thing to avoid is the ski traffic this time of year. Weekend mornings and afternoons can be a bear. Again cotrip can help.

Scooter
Old 11-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #5

I see they have code 15 (4wd or MS tires)and code 16(chains required)alerts. I don't think I will go over we either alerts. I wonder if Denver has any RV parks open all year to wait things out.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

Yep, I wouldn't be towing our 5ver up there today.

Several sites are open year round here. Rvparking.com has a good list but needs some updating for websites.

Two of my fav choices that I used to use for shakedown trips or close spots were cherry creek and chatfield state parks. Both are run by the state and advertise year round spots. Just checked chatfield and it has electric and sewer hooks ups only. Water at the individual sites has been winterized but potable water is available at the rv dump which is open year round too. Cherry creek is the newer campground but is on the east side of town. Chatfield is closer to the mountains. Both parks are right next to highways for easy driving. No plodding through downtown Denver. Only drawback to both being state parks is that you have to get a daily parks pass. Clean sites tho.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:

Non commercial required to have adequate tires. what ever that means .
you'll need 4wd in januray you can expect bad weather , even if no snow is forecast you will have black ice to deal with . also they use calcium chloride
on the roads for de-icer it is very corrosive along with cinder chips so cracked windows are very common in Co . i would find another route i would not like pulling my rig over the passes in winter not because of road conditions but because of the rocks and calcium chloride never head up the mountains on a saturday as it will take 3 times as long as all the weekenders are heading up to ski .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

I live in Denver area, avoid I70 on weekends and Fridays, traffic is very heavy during ski season. Last week it was closed down both directions to to snow and minor accidents. Plan about 3 hrs to get from Denver to Dillon in a MH (that's where the tunnel is). Good luck keep warm.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
I see they have code 15 (4wd or MS tires)and code 16(chains required)alerts. I don't think I will go over we either alerts. I wonder if Denver has any RV parks open all year to wait things out.
There is an RV Park in Golden just off of I-70. It is Dakota Ridge RV Park on 17800 West Colfax. We wintered over there in '95-'96. They are great folks. I would make reservations if you go that route.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I checked my motorhome tires and they are mud and snow rated so ok for code 15. Checked out the COTRIP site which shows a code 15 alert on I 70 today. We will head toward Denver in January and then make a last minute decision to go West or South depending on the conditions. I am always up for an adventure but not a dangerous one.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #11
23ss ROOster

I diddo what ScOOter recommends. Probably plan for the southern route from now till mid Feb or so. Check weather, roads up in the Mts. when you enter eastern Colorado.

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Colorado and Nevada have Chain Law in effect from October 1 to May 1, generally. I cannot speak to Utah. You should carry properly-fitted, lugged chains at all times (the fines in Nevada can be stiff).

You will cross two passes in Colorado, and the San Rafael Uplift and Beaver Summit in Utah. All of those can be very, very nasty in the winter. Yes it is scenic but can be treacherous in the winter. You may have experience driving in snow but not on 4% - 6+% grades that are common on the route you are taking. If you decide to go south from Denver, you will cross a pass to get to Colorado Springs then Raton Pass into New Mexico. In New Mexico, you will cross Glorieta Pass (not too bad, generally), and then head west from Albuquerque (see below). You should be prepared for winter travel in the mountains on tis route as well.

I would suggest the southern route through New Mexico. There, you have plains, Tijeras Pass into Albuquerque, the Continental Divide, the Colorado Plateau (NM & AZ), and Flagstaff (itself a pass) to Kingman. Flagstaff is at 7000 feet elevation and has been getting snow lately. Watch the weather closely. Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle just got hit with an ice storm and snow storm. If needs be, head further south to I-20/I-10 through West Texas, El Paso, Southern New Mexico & Arizona to Tucson & Phoenix, across to Wickenburg on US 60, then on to Kingman then Vegas. Usually this is snow-free but watch the weather closely.

I have driven all of these routes in winter and summer and they are all scenic but different scenery. In winter, I recommend the southern-most route for your rig. Go down I-35 to I-35W at Denton, TX to I-820, west on I-820 to I-30, west to I-20, then west on I-20 and I-10 to Phoenix, etc.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
There is an RV Park in Golden just off of I-70. It is Dakota Ridge RV Park on 17800 West Colfax. We wintered over there in '95-'96. They are great folks. I would make reservations if you go that route.
Dakota Ridge is pricy but a very well maintained Park. Right off the interstate.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer1016 View Post
Dakota Ridge is pricy but a very well maintained Park. Right off the interstate.
We stayed there in May and it was almost filled up then.

We came through Vail, Co the first of May and there was still snow in the ditches at 11,000 ft. It wouldn't be my choice for the middle of winter towing something.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #15

I-70 is scenic Do yourself a huge favor. Do not take it west of Denver on a weekend. The 1st 90 miles are totally congested with ski traffic. Same in summer for that matter with recreation. We get 300+ days of sunshine a year but big snows & cold happen quickly. Bring chains & have a great trip!
DenverMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #16

Denver does not have very many RV parks. The one mentioned on Colfax, has changed a lot since 95'-96'. I read a review last summer where people who overnighted there had hookers banging on their doors at midnight. It has turned into a VERY seedy neighborhood. If you belong to Elks, they will let you stay in the parking lot of their lodge in Westminster. The only other place is near Longmont, up I-25. You could also contact RV dealerships in the area. But for as large and well traveled an area, there is nothing in the Denver Metro area really. There may be some places on 70 heading west. I know that Grand Junction has some. There are likely more once you get through Loveland and Vail Passes. If the weather is good, there are several in Moab, just across the Colorado / Utah border that have decent reviews and not very far off of 70. Good luck, if you find any good ones in the Denver area, please post the information.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #17

only rv places between denver and grandjunction would be Gypsum , Rifle , and then in
Debque canyon
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #18

Actually, there a several more RV park options between Denver and Grand Junction, but I'll let you do your own independant research. Your plan to make a decision based on the weather when you actually arrive in Colorado is sound. I live in Colorado and can honestly tell you that I have ridden my bike every month of every year since 1988. We get storms that bring lots of snow, but more often than not that snow has evaporated within a few days. That's the Colorado cycle, sub-freezing days followed by dry and (relatively) warm days. If you pick a warm/dry spell to do your I-70 west-bound leg, you will be fine. As far as I-70 being scenic, in my opinion it is downright beautiful WHEN compared to most other interstate highways.Just be smart, aware, and informed. Even Arizona can turn into an artic mess at times.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Jim View Post
Denver does not have very many RV parks. The one mentioned on Colfax, has changed a lot since 95'-96'. I read a review last summer where people who overnighted there had hookers banging on their doors at midnight. It has turned into a VERY seedy neighborhood. If you belong to Elks, they will let you stay in the parking lot of their lodge in Westminster. The only other place is near Longmont, up I-25. You could also contact RV dealerships in the area. But for as large and well traveled an area, there is nothing in the Denver Metro area really. There may be some places on 70 heading west. I know that Grand Junction has some. There are likely more once you get through Loveland and Vail Passes. If the weather is good, there are several in Moab, just across the Colorado / Utah border that have decent reviews and not very far off of 70. Good luck, if you find any good ones in the Denver area, please post the information.

The review you read is more than likely BS. We stayed at Dakota Ridge last summer and I can tell you first hand the neighborhood is NOT seedy and the park is exceptional. Your reply is kin to my 3rd cousins sisters friend told me!!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #20

Chief Hosa Lodge and Campground just west of Genessee which is about 20 miles (approximately) west of Golden. Operated by Denver Parks and Recreation. Not as nice as Dakota Ridge but fair priced and another option