Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Is this the norm ?

Well just got back into camping after 10 plus years, kids are gone and were empty nesters. Bought the Puma QSI 373 Toy Hauler and it is a nice unit so far. My question is this it appears camping has become alot more popular. At the State Park, COE level you have people making reservations weeks in advance. with a bigger rig you just acn't show up and have your rig accomidated. So it almost becomes a choir looking to find places in the midwest?

So maybe some feed back from some you that have been active with camping over the past 5 plus years?

Hollywoodgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Prime Member

Campgrounds close to popular tourist locations fill up weeks and even months in advance. If you want one of these prime sites you really need to book it as far in advance as possible. If you like to to just fly by the seat of your pants, you will have much better luck at sites off the beaten path so to speak.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

i haven't been camping for 5 years but can tell you that's the norm in MN. State Parks utilize online reservation system that allows you to book 12 months out. I've looked at a couple parks for various weekends throughout the summer, and elec sites are all booked. Same issue with our two County parks.
We tent/popup camped with kids (kids are grown too) for years without hookups and never had an issue other than long weekends.
It takes a little more planning (and more of my vacation time) to get out now.
At least it's worth it!
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Empty Nesters

I'm not sure where you are at, but here in California the SP website opens up reservations for their sites at 8AM 6 months in advance of the current date. For the Central Coast beach spots (Morro Bay SP, Morro Strand, Pismo beach, etc) the full hookup spots during the summer book up by 8:05 AM. It's a little easier once school starts again but you still need to plan and reserve a spot months in advance.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
I'm not sure where you are at, but here in California the SP website opens up reservations for their sites at 8AM 6 months in advance of the current date. For the Central Coast beach spots (Morro Bay SP, Morro Strand, Pismo beach, etc) the full hookup spots during the summer book up by 8:05 AM. It's a little easier once school starts again but you still need to plan and reserve a spot months in advance.
Yep, it's been bad in California for years.

With more baby boomers buying RVs, even off-season is getting hard to get sites.
And with record RV sales for the past few years, there's much more competition for sites.

So yes, it's the new norm for national, state and county campgrounds.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #6

At NYS, state owned campgrounds, you can reserve 9 months ahead. Our usual Memorial Weekend campground was booked full by early December. We couldn't get a site for the 1st time in 13 yrs and we had to book elsewhere.
johnm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

In WI if you want a electric site you should book 11 months in advance. If you want a popular campground you MAY have to keep clicking reserve at 8am to see if you get it.

I booked at a popular campground in FL for spring break and almost missed out on a site by 7:02am (I got distracted by my phone) and the site I did get is not ideal.

There are some sites in WI reserved for walk-up only though depending on the campground which is nice. May try that but we usually book 11 months in advance.

ROO3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #8

I have 500 W of solar power and carry 25 gallons extra of water. I am good to go for 2 weeks at a time and do not camp in any pay camp grounds. The Southwest is loaded with free BLM camping spots. No reservations 1st come 1st serve and there is always plenty of space. The good old days of 50 years ago going to state parks on a whim are long gone.
Carpercb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
D W

Can't speak to parts east of the Continental Divide, but west of that, that is the new norm. You have been out of the RV scene for some time. It's a whole new world out there these days.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #10

In FLORIDA, the State Park reservation system allows reservations at 8AM 11 months before the first day of your reservation. For popular parks at peak times, the big sites go that day. I'm sure it's different for small sites, less popular state parks, off peak times, and private parks, but I'll leave any comments on those to others.

Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote