Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #21

We got back last weekend from out trip. The Jellystone in Niagara Falls was OK. Nothing special, but nothing to complain about either. And the hwy noise for me was non exisistent. And i hung out outside alot.

I think the OP needs to rethink the overall camping/RV experience. Sounds like they'll only be happy at high end resort or hotel!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #22

We've been to three different Jellystones and liked the one in Luray Va the best. Nicest facilities of the three. The kids liked the planned activities and the great water slide. Nice pull through camp sites. On the pricey side but we do it once a year after several state parks and corp of engineer parks.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
We got back last weekend from out trip. The Jellystone in Niagara Falls was OK. Nothing special, but nothing to complain about either. And the hwy noise for me was non exisistent. And i hung out outside alot.

I think the OP needs to rethink the overall camping/RV experience. Sounds like they'll only be happy at high end resort or hotel!
Like the OP, we've camped since 1960 and make it a point to steer clear of Jellystone campgrounds. Stayed in few over those years out of desperation, but haven't for the last 10 yrs. Most were dirty and all were overpriced. JMO
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Retired FF

We have never stayed at a Jellystone park, but had wanted to in June. we started to make reservations for the one in Live Oak, FL (Madison).

We saw the price for the site and thought it was a little high but acceptable because we wanted the grandchildren to have fun at the water park while we were in the area. We quickly found out that that isn't the actual price.

After nickel and diming for all persons over the limit of 2, paying more for actually hooking up to electric,water, and sewer, and a couple of other charges that I cant remember right now, the price was way out of line. Needless to say, we deleted everything and never completed the reservation. They seem awfully proud of the park for what little you get.

We live in Central FL and can stay at Fort Wilderness @ Disney for less, and have many more amenities. At least with Disney, what you see is what you get when you look at the rates. Not numerous add ons when you try to make the reservation.

We just stayed a couple of extra days at Florida Caverns State park and took the kids to the Blue Spring recreation area. The kids had a great time and never missed what little Jellystone had to offer.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #25

Like all campground chains, there will always be variability from one to another. Do check out campground reviews or tripadvisor.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #26

We stay at the on in Fremont, IN all the time. It is great there. Lots of pools, kid friendly, on a lake. Staff is nice.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigLog View Post
We stay at the on in Fremont, IN all the time. It is great there. Lots of pools, kid friendly, on a lake. Staff is nice.
Proves one shouldn't whitewash a complete organization from one or two bad experiences. We have had some disappointing stays at KOAs, but that doesn't mean we will avoid them all. On our recent trip to Cody, WY, we stayed at quite a few KOAs, and they were all good.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #28

Whispering Pines in Tyler, TX just officially becameva Jellystone. We are staying here forv4 months ir so while house is built.

Pretty full ever weekend with tns of kids. Nice pools, one for adults only.

Lots of activities, monday mornings shownthe wear but cleaned up prety quickly.

Not a bad place. Think itis $35
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #29

Well it is nice to here Luray Jellystone is nice we are going there in August for 4 days
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #30

I think they can be hit or miss. I have great memories camping at jellystone as a kid (20 years ago)

I will caution anyone planning to stay at the Jellystone Park in Portage IN east of Chicago. 54$ a night and it is the WORST campground I have ever seen. 90% perm mobile homes and trash everywhere. The electricity was so weak we couldn't run the air on our unit. We were there for about 2 hours before we got a full refund and found another place down the road.

Some of them are really nice. I think they are all individually owned.

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #31
Camper Less Camping

I agree, the Jellystone brand could be soooo much better than what it is today...they really need to overhaul the concept.
Like others, we've been to way more disappointing JS campgrounds than great ones!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #32

We stay at Jellystone park In Mill Run PA back in 98. It isn't worth what they charge.We will never go back
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter969 View Post
Well it is nice to here Luray Jellystone is nice we are going there in August for 4 days
We were just there about three weeks ago. We liked it. Of the three close to us, Luray is the cheapest (but still pricey) and was nice. They also did not have any add on charges except for some of the craft stuff. So the laser tag, super slide and jumping pillow were included in the site fee. The bathhouse needs additional ventilation - was very stuffy with all the showers going but was kept fairly clean considering the amount of traffic. We only go there for the kids. Would not go there otherwise.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #34

Stay out of the Jellystone Park in Montrose, CO. Yogi wouldn't stay there either!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #35

Just stayed 4 nights in Larkspur, Co. First time in a J S park . No complaints other than the spot they gave me was a little tricky to back in but the grounds were clean, kids had a blast and the trash pick up at 11am is kinda nice. Staff was super helpful and nice.
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #36

Well we are back from Yogi in Luray Va. It was great nice park clean and big did miss not having the outside movie screen and no pedal carts. Nice water park for the kids and a good Miniature golf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4281739792.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	38218

On the way

Name:	image-127812433.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	38219

Name:	image-830422691.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	38220

Name:	image-830422691.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	38220

Nice cool night to enjoy the camp fire
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #37

Just spent 5 nights at yogi in Hagerstown. Very pricey, the most expensive campground we have been to but all activities are included in the price. Our kids love the pool, watermark, pedal carts, jumping pillow and laser tag. They had a number of teenagers working there that were outstanding and so kind to us and our kids. One rude employee was a lady working in reservations. As with a lot of campgrounds they have good sites and others that aren't as good. We enjoyed the premium site, all grass and large but few trees. There is an older section that is heavily shaded but we wouldn't stay in that section because muddy after it rains. Of course we have friends that will only stay in that section and love it! It's all in what you are looking for, know what you like and go with it.

Even though expensive so there is so much to do we never left the campground and spent money on other forms of entertainment.
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnlaura View Post
Just spent 5 nights at yogi in Hagerstown. Very pricey, the most expensive campground we have been to but all activities are included in the price. Our kids love the pool, watermark, pedal carts, jumping pillow and laser tag. They had a number of teenagers working there that were outstanding and so kind to us and our kids. One rude employee was a lady working in reservations. As with a lot of campgrounds they have good sites and others that aren't as good. We enjoyed the premium site, all grass and large but few trees. There is an older section that is heavily shaded but we wouldn't stay in that section because muddy after it rains. Of course we have friends that will only stay in that section and love it! It's all in what you are looking for, know what you like and go with it.

Even though expensive so there is so much to do we never left the campground and spent money on other forms of entertainment.
Yes, of the three Jellystones in our area, I think the Hagerstown is #2 most expensive. The site charge is the cheapest, but they then tack on a 9 bucks/person charge for the first three nights for the amenities (for 4 people, that is an extra 36 dollars/night). Luray is cheaper, but a little farther away and Quarryville Pa is even more expensive. We have been to all three, the Hagerstown was the one we liked the least. All in all, these Jellystones are all pricey but they are all decent CG. Once the kids outgrow this, we will probably not go back.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #39

X2 I agree that once my kid is grown up more and not into all that is at Yogi, I will not be going to them anymore I do it for him.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #40

We normally go to the Hagerstown location for one of their Halloween weekends. Expensive, but the kids have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnlaura View Post