Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #1

Kids Spring Break?

When I was a Kid or High school or College age we Never had "Spring Break" our Family would have a "Vacation" come Summer but" Not Both"! When/What changed that allows this "Spring Break" is there Really this much "Pressure/Strain/Worry" on people or they have lots of additional "$$$" that we never seemed to have in the "Old Days"? We always had plenty of things to do Sports wise without the Need for Soccer Moms or Dads,we were NEVER Bored either! If we ever told our parents we were "Bored" they would make sure we had "Duties" to fill that gap! Youroo!!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #2

We were to poor when growing up to know any difference. And the duty thing is right on the money.
pojp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #3

When I was growing up we had a few days off at Easter. That was spring break. Most folks stay close to home for Easter, but we would travel seven hours to our grandparents houses.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

It's not politically to call it Easter break anymore, now it's Spring break. Christmas break is now Winter break.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Site Team

I remember hearing college kids talking about going somewhere on spring back in the early 90's. This isn't exactly something new.

For me personally, it was always just a week off of school. We might visit my grandparents for Easter or something but we typically saved our vacations for the summer when the weather was warmer.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #6

Youroo, are you thinking about going back to school? LOL...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

It will always be Christmas and Easter !!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Empty Nesters

Being in Primary school in the 60's, we always got 1 week off for Easter and 2 weeks off for Xmas. They have seem to have expanded that a little bit now. I think in college if you have the quarter system there is a natural break between classes that is now "spring break".
Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Youroo, are you thinking about going back to school? LOL...
That is a very easy Question to answer,"Hell No"! Just being on FRF everyday is Quite a Education! Youroo!!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #10

When I was in school, I always looked forward to spring break. My Grandfather would take me fishing two or three days and that made some of my best childhood memories. Now that I am a father, my oldest is away at college and my youngest is in high school. Last year we took a spring break trip with the youngest to the smoky mountains. It would be really nice if the high school and college had spring break the same week so we could all take a trip together. Last year the only vacation we took was the spring break trip. Trying to enjoy as much time as possible with the youngest before she goes away to college.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #11
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobert View Post
When I was in school, I always looked forward to spring break. My Grandfather would take me fishing two or three days and that made some of my best childhood memories. Now that I am a father, my oldest is away at college and my youngest is in high school. Last year we took a spring break trip with the youngest to the smoky mountains. It would be really nice if the high school and college had spring break the same week so we could all take a trip together. Last year the only vacation we took was the spring break trip. Trying to enjoy as much time as possible with the youngest before she goes away to college.
X2^^^
Here in Salida its a four-day school week all year so kids can go skiing in the winter and run the river during the spring and fall and have a 3-day weekend all year long. Its an outdoor lifestyle, a great place to raise a family and most businesses accomodate the same for parents. And yea, they still get spring break!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #12

My grandparents would take my brother and I to visit our Aunt in Florida. We went during spring break because it was too hot in the summer. During the summer she would come visit us.

2016 Nights camped in wildcat(14) didn't count previous trailer
2017 Nights camped (44)
2018 Nights camped (29) that's too low. Must work on it.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote