Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
KM Resorts - Our Experience

We went to an RV show in Feb. and recently found out we won a lifetime membership to an RV resort in Washington. It's worth $2,000. My first reaction is that I am skeptical. Supposedly 1 in every 50 people who enter the draw get a free membership. It just sounds too good to be true.

We've heard of these sorts of places but know nothing about them. This one has an annual due of $295. They have a bunch of affiliates around the US that you can stay in for $10/night. That's about all we know so far and haven't dug into the fine print and restrictions yet. I think there is a max. number of days that you can stay at the home site.

Anyone familiar with these places? What are the pros and cons? Sounds intriguing. They're on the upscale side with manicured grass, numerous amenities, etc. Am guessing it would cut down on riff-raff neighbors (ones that roll in late at night and out real early, are noisy as heck, barking dog(s), excessive thumping/banging, yelling, etc., etc). I like the idea of having affiliates so you can always (I hope) get a spot at one of them.

There's got to be some cons? Maybe they are like a lifetime fitness gym membership where they are next to impossible to get out of? Maybe there's hidden fees somewhere? Maybe they get overbooked sometimes?

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
To follow up on what we did.....

We went to the presentation. We went in with our eyes wide open and fearing the worst. We expected a seminar type thing with other people there but it was a one on one meeting with a sales rep. Very dissapointed with the presentation. No handouts. No brochures. Nothing on paper up front. The sales guy took a few sheets of paper and scribbled down a few notes as he spoke. He even wrote some notes upside down as he spoke. Argh. The guy was sort of like a used car salesman but pleasant at least.

He really was not very pushy and gave us the golf cart to tour on our own without him - as he likely got the message that we wanted to tour on our own. We talked to some resort owners when we toured around and they only provided positive feedback.

We went there with a written detailed list of questions that we wanted answered. We had to ask for a lot of info., much of which is not freely given to you. Argh. DW is an accountant and not willing to let anyone pull the wool over her eyes.

Sho 'nuf, there is no such thing as a free lunch in life. For the $2K gift, it's only good for 4 years. You still have to pay the annual dues of $295. AND, you can only use the one KM Resort campground for max. 4 visits a year and only for a max. of 6 nights per visit. Many people don't do 6-day long weekends so if you did some math and said say 3 visits each, or 12 days a year, this is no smokin' deal even if you don't have to pay the $2K membership fee.

However, we actually ended up buying a full membership. We put our $2K gift towards the full membership. We bartered as best we could but we were getting tired and might have been able to squeeze them a bit more. We ended up paying $3995 for a lifetime membership. Their "list/sticker" price for this is $7K. I doubt many pay the full price. For $3995 (which includes some extras) we got:
  • Free camping at any of the KM resorts in Washington. As a bonus, they included one they have in Oregon. Guaranteed access to these resorts. No 125 mile rule.
  • Membership in affiliated campgrounds - RPI, Coast to Coast & Good Neighbor - they paid the first years dues as well.
  • Can also use 1000 Trails ($15) and Enjoy America (50% off) and discounted rates at Preferred Access condo affiliates.
  • Typical overnight stays in camping affiliates are $10 - $15.
  • No restrictions on amount of resale times for the KM membership
  • Family pass - son can go on his own four times a year
  • Can bring up to six people in an RV and two tents for camping - they can park tent on tent site or trailer site.
  • We also got some free camping passes and "cabin" rentals for our friends - with it specifically written "no presentation required".
  • Friends can camp with us and pay about $35 a night for their own site
We figure that we will pay for the membership in 2 - 3 years based on avg. rates of $40 - $50 in typical campgrounds and our planned camping. It is a lot of money - but all in all we figure we will spend close to that in a few years and plan to travel lots when DW retires in about a year. So value for money for us.

Thanks to all the comments on this forum - we asked about each and every issue we heard about and then some.

I am retired and my DW has a lot of very flexible vacation so we can camp for most weekends easily.

And we still got a $25 certificate for a restaurant meal and gas cards worth $50. The KM Resort c/g in Blaine actually seems nice to us. We are just planning a trip to southern Oregon in July and we are about to find out how good the affiliated campgrounds are to get them booked.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote