Old 02-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #51
Sure wish we had them county campgrounds. Most ever full hook up with in50 miles of me is over $30. At least that's all I can find

danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #52
Site Team
I’ve stayed at a couple. One was brand new and they were still working out the kinks. They were clean, the people were friendly and the prices weren’t horrible.

There is one near our house that we can’t go to because we own the “wrong” breed of dog.

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #53
Looking Down Range
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I pulled into the Butte KOA back in 05. If I wasn`t on the road for 11 hours I would`ve found someplace else! maybe it`s changed since then, but that was enough to turn me off!
We stayed there just last August and no, it hasn't changed. We have stayed at many KOAs in the past 20 years and have seen some close, some open, and several that have made improvements in that time. Management plays a big part and you can tell the ones that are there because they want to be. The analogy of 'like McDonald's' truly does fit for the most part.
2014 Forester 3051S
2013 Ford Focus
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #54
We stay in KOA's quite frequently. They are dependable on what you get...back to the McD's anology. We have been at Perry Sound, Owen Sound, Toronto North and Barrie North, Ivy Lea, Marmora, Niagara Falls, Montreal get the idea. There usually is no surprises when you arrive..pools are heated, washrooms are clean and showers are really hot water, most have a snack bar of sorts, store for the emergency purchase. Most are quiet, read no lone group of teenagers "camping". Most do not offer biking, hiking, fishing etc but if you were going for those acitivities you would not be at a KOA. As mentioned earlier, be careful with the write ups, when I see stuff like campsite is muddy after a rain storm or CG is too busy on a long weekends, not helpful at all.

tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #55
When camping, no. When doing a "road trip", yes.
Last year we stayed at 4 different KOA’s (along with 5 othercampgrounds). Nights stayed were between 1-4 nights per KOA. They are great for a quick 1 night stop. We used 2 in Prince Edward Island, for 8 nights last July, during a 17 night road trip. We like them because you are able to go exploring the area for the day and when you return you have access to a pool, WIFI,the kids can go off to the park while you’re cooking dinner, etc...
We have the card, which on average saves about $5 per night and we used accumulated points to save about another $8-10 last year (and we probably have that accumulated now again).
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #56
We stayed at the one in Staunton, VA lat summer and cannot complain about it. I have always went under the assumption they are more expensive but quite often it depends on the region you are going to. We looked at the one near Bar Harbor, ME when we went up there and you are paying for being on the coast and it was pricier than were we stayed. We are actually staying in 2 this year in Michigan mainly because of the location to where we are going and we could get reservations and the price is in line with other area campgrounds.

2012 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.2L FlexFuel
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #57
I have stayed in 38 different KOAs all over the country. Yes, they are more expensive than most. HOWEVER, with my camping experience, I prefer to stay there. They have great amenities and I have ALWAYS had great service. Being a national chain they have pretty high standards for quality. In all the 38 campgrounds, I only remember one that was not a high quality facility. That's pretty good. You won't go wrong staying at one.
Rhoadzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #58
We stayed at KOA in Davie Fl 2 wks ago. It's no Ft Wilderness, but decent place and friendly helpful staff.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #59
2014 XLR 27HFS
I like full hookups and free WIFI. You don't find either at most state or national parks. Yes, most KOA's resemble parking lots but most of the time we are exploring the area and use the site as a base camp. If I just want to hang out at the campsite, I definitely choose state parks.
Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #60
Have stayed at a few KOA's and all the ones we were in ( other than Bar Harbor where I couldn't even open my slide fully cause so close an at $94 per night) have had a good size spot.Last one we were at was Barrie KOA and would go back again!!!

2014 Forester 3051s
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2012 Sonic toad
wana65stang is online now   Reply With Quote