Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #21

We are KOA members and have stayed at KOA's across the country and have no complaints. You can feel sure that when you get there it will be clean and secure with full hookups and free WiFi.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
paluka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:32 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabram71 View Post
Do any of you ever stay at KOA camp grounds ?
NO and NEVER!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #23
Site Team

As started it can vary from one KOA to another.

I've only stayed at a local KOA twice while attending the big RV show next door to it. I was assigned a shorter site than what I selected online. On my second visit I assigned a section with sites so close together that the guy next to me had to move my picnic table about 2 feet away from my TT for his slide out.

Over all the KOA served it purpose for my use.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #24

I stay at them getting from a to b they are always close to the interstate and most have pull throughs so I don't have to unhook. Some are better then others but you can pretty much know what to expect.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #25

KOA`s are hit or miss. We`ve been to 5 in 11 years of those 5 only 2 were really nice, 1 was OK, another was just EH! and the other was a dump! we only use them for overnight.

However there are many out there that are very nice and I`ve heard that the one in Natural Bridge was excellent. We were going to stay there on one of our trips, but then I shifted our trip around and it was out of the way.

Now the Jellystones are nice. so far we`ve been to 7 and not one of those are bad. maybe there are a few out there, but I haven`t found it yet.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paluka44 View Post
We are KOA members and have stayed at KOA's across the country and have no complaints. You can feel sure that when you get there it will be clean and secure with full hookups and free WiFi.
I pulled into the Butte KOA back in 05. If I wasn`t on the road for 11 hours I would`ve found someplace else! maybe it`s changed since then, but that was enough to turn me off!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #27

If your looking for full hook up, pool, laundry, wifi and things to keep the kids busy , mini golf, kids group craft type things outdoor movies, KOA's are great. If your looking for nature and a real quiet setting then they are not for you, KOA to me is Glamping or a place to stop overnight or for a couple of days while traveling. Now mind you they are well kept usually because that's part of their franchise if they are not they loose their franchise.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #28

We tend to stay at KOA, because, as has been said, we know a level of standards are maintained at each facility. I agree that some facilities are better or worse than others. But, we've found these standards to generally be better than most other private campgrounds.

BTW, Forsythe, Ga KOA is a great place to stay. We've been there twice. It's well maintained, with a lake and a great view. The warm cookies delivered to the camp site are great!
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #29

Well I do think from what I have seen and read that the koa has came a long way from when they 1st came out. Thank we will get a koa card and try a few of them out this year.
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #30
Citrus County, Fl.

Agree the Forsythe KOA has great people, great cookies and they will even deliver a pizza to your site if you order one. Only complaints are the campground roads are getting pretty rough and towing a TT the sites in the older section the sites are not very level anymore which required a lot of blocking on one side. Last stay was in June of 2014. In their defense, I found out the on site owner's wife has been in poor health and he has not been able to give the CG his full attention.

Our trip out this past Oct/Nov we stayed at the Cordele, Ga KOA and found it very nice with a level site that did not require us to unhook.

Overall you can usually count on a KOA to be up to their corporate standards. They even had a segment on Undercover Boss which was pretty neat to watch the CEO go in as a worker.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #31
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
If your looking for full hook up, pool, laundry, wifi and things to keep the kids busy , mini golf, kids group craft type things outdoor movies, KOA's are great. If your looking for nature and a real quiet setting then they are not for you, KOA to me is Glamping or a place to stop overnight or for a couple of days while traveling. Now mind you they are well kept usually because that's part of their franchise if they are not they loose their franchise.
X2

We did a trip to the Canadian Maritimes in 2013 and we used KOAs most of the time. The one private CG we used was mediocre at best and the NP was OK. We were a bit disappointed with one only because it didn't have a fire pit but otherwise it was fine.

For the most part, when you book at a KOA you know what you're getting. Clean facilities, no privacy.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #32

If you use the (KOA-Middleberry,In.) Check the (WATER) before you use it! They did give us a Booklet when we checked in late one night after having repair (Slide) done at the F/R Factory! All we wanted was hook up to water and take a COOL shower,it was (90+ all day)! The next AM I went to unhook the water hose and it was (RED/BROWN) inside as well as the Outside Filter! I looked in the Booklet for a phone# to call the Office,when I noticed the (DISCLAMER) about the (WATER) has a high (IRON Content)! My mistake ! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #33

The only one we've stayed at so far (we'll be at one in Apache Junction, AZ in a few weeks) is the one in Estes Park, CO. It's the first one they ever did, and it's the smallest, but it fits our PUP quiet well. We'll be there for the third time come September, when we're there for the Highland Games. It's close to the Games and to town, has good amenities, and the hosts/operators are really friendly and helpful.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 PM   #34

We use KOA for most trips like McDonald's you find a general constant quality. We also use Good Sam but some are a lesser quality.
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #35

I agree there is variation location to location. One thing they all have in common is how friendly staff and campers have been. Even if you are there for a short stay everybody is friendly, it feels like a community right away.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #36

koa

Agree with the McDonald's comparison. We nearly always use them for travel and destination stops. I cannot recall visiting a bad one, even in very remote areas. Naturally some are better than others.

Hitting a bad one could sour your view, permanently. We pulled into a JellyStone campground once and it was like a scene from Deliverance. Did not even stay and even today do not consider them as an option. But many like them.

Yah, they tend to cost more. The discount card helps, well a little. With a pop-up we often end up with full service because elec-water only is not available. Some will give the lower rate anyway.
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #37

We have stayed at many and can not say a bad thing about them. Always clean and level sites. The people are always nice and polite.
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #38

We stayed at the Madeira Beach KOA in St Pete, FL last year and it was great. We were backed up to the bay where we could keep the canoe in the water and right next to our Aviator. It was a big deal not to pull the boat out of the water every night. Good camp store and easy access to sites. Will go back later this year.
Every KOA [4 ] I've stayed in was very good. No bad experiences.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #39

We are seasonal campers now and still keep our KOA membership because the only places we found we could not stop visiting were a handful of KOA's. We love the one in natural Bridge (you have GOT to go to the safari next door...it's like Jurrasic Park), and we go to the ones in Williamsburg and Watkins Glen every year.
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #40

I stayed at the KOA in Holbrook AZ a few years ago. They were exactly twice as expensive as the place across the road... for exactly the same services. If the place across the road wasn't full, I'd have stayed there. The KOA has space for 40-50 RVs and I was only the third one there that night. I can't say anything negative about the park, as it was nice... but not any better than the one across the road, where I had stayed the year before... for half as much money. Why should I want a KOA card?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote