Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #21

Grambo88 - wanted to see if you did your trip and if you'd give us a summary of it. Looking to do the same from Indianapolis next summer.
Thanks!!
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #22

We did and had a great trip. Keep in mind we are both still working so time was limited. We started out heading to St Louis late Friday afternoon, we had some trouble before we arrived at our first night stop, a blow out well not really a blowout but the tread came off the tire on the camper. I debated about getting new tires but the tires were less than four years old and looked good…..so much for that. After a tire change we made it to a rest area outside of St Louis and got some rest. Next morning in St Louis area got four new tires and off we go. Next day made it to Sioux City and stayed in a nice campground that the city owns. Next day off again made it to Rapid City were we stayed two days and seen as much as we could, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills, the Needle highway and the Badlands were fun to see. Had a good meal at Louie’s in lead. we missed going to Devils Tower because of time and the wind was picking up and I wanted to get to Cody now I wish I had went on to see it. Then off to Cody we did take 16 through Bighorn which was a really nice drive and not too hard on the old dodge. Seen the area in Cody and went to the museum which took quite a while but worth it. Next day on into Yellowstone for three days which is not enough time but we made the best of it see most of the main attractions. Stayed at fishing Bridge it is ok but try to get in the sections that are all paved we were in the last section which does not have paved roads and it got very dusty. Next off to Jackson for two days, very nice town and also expensive, stayed at Virginian lodge campground it was better than I thought it would be. Seen the area (Grand Tetons) and went to a rodeo. Next off to Colorado Springs very long drive and one of the only days we ran into rain. We stayed at Garden of The Gods its good campground mainly because it is close to everything. Garden of The Gods and Pikes Peak were on the top of our list. After a couple of days there we went to Dodge City, we saw the remake of the town which was nice. Then we made our way home spending a night between Kansas City and St Louis. This is a quick version of what we did if we had to do over we would like to have spent another day in Yellowstone, Jackson and Colorado Springs and maybe Dodge. Only other problem we had was a loss of power in the camper to several plugs, I got lucky and found a loose wire in the camper 50 AMP plug connection.
We had a couple of days of high wind that really makes for a long drive.
I am sure I have left some stuff out but all and all it was great but very tiring vacation.
Thanks
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #23

Thanks! Lots of good info here. So looks like about 14 days total?

Did you find that a central point between Badlands and Rushmore worked well? We were planning to stop in both areas, but one thing we're trying to look at is reducing the number of times we have to set up camp.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #24

Yes i think 14 days, would have liked to had 17 or 18. We stayed between Sturgis and Rapid City. But I would check out I think it was Lazy J in Rapid City we passed by it going to Rushmore and the view looked great. We toured the Badlands and Wall on our way to Rapid City towing the camper and that seemed like enough time doing that. We even done the loop in the Badlands towing the fifth wheel.
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote