Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

KY to Yellowstone

Hello, We are starting to plan a big trip for next year, going from Kentucky to Yellowstone NP. Will be using our Fifth Wheel and was looking to get some info on must see stops along the way and areas that should be avoided. Think we will go in late may 2016. I have already been doing things to help prepare the old truck for the long haul. Thinking about going up by way of Saint Louis, Kansas City, Denver then up to Yellowstone. Coming back may be different, go the northern way.

Thanks Richard
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #2

Grand Teton National Park. It would be criminal to go to Yellowstone and not visit the Tetons. They are the most Stunning Mountains in North America.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

That will be on the list. Thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Well if you are coming to Denver and then north, you are almost going right by Rocky Mountain NP. Couple nights there would be nice.

When going north get off I25 at Fort Collins and take 287 cutoff to I80. It is a good wide road, a lot of 18 wheelers use it.

1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

Additionally, going there, i would hit RNMP as said above on way. On the way back, it would be easy to hit Devils tower, Mount Rushmore (and Custer SP) and then the Badlands.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #6

I have driven there from here (Lexington, Ky), but not towing my RV. First day to Kansas City is a long one but stopped in Independence at the Truman Presidential Library. Headed NW from there diagonally across Nebraska's sand hills. Plenty of flat wide roads. Ended second day at the SD Badlands, definitely a site to see. Spent the third day at Mt. Rushmore and general area. Day four onto Yellowstone. I definitely will go back with the RV when we "part time".
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

I'll be following this thread closely because it is something I would like to do sometime down the road. We spent five days there in a cabin in 2008, during our PCS move to Fort Knox. Just for a guideline, we came out of the southern entrance though the Tetons, and then through Denver and KC.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

We will have to decide weather to go north first or west. Thanks all for the info.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

Ok so we will be going in from the east northeast area would like options for going into Yellowstone and places to base camp, plan on staying in area around 3-4 days, site seeing then heading south into Tetons then down to Denver area and back to Kentucky. Would like to know roads to avoid with the camper and must sees along the way.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

We stayed at West Yellowstone at Grizzly RV park, we did a three week trip from NC in 13. We plan on going back next year

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #11

You are so close I'd try and hit glacier national park too.

We did that trip three years ago from KY. We went south through NB then came north to Yellowstone, then the Tetons, Glacier to Mt Rushmore and the Bad Lands then home. I can look up my itenary later if you'd like. We stayed a week at each of the three parks and that was no where near enough. I can't wait to go back!
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grambo88 View Post
Hello, We are starting to plan a big trip for next year, going from Kentucky to Yellowstone NP. Will be using our Fifth Wheel and was looking to get some info on must see stops along the way and areas that should be avoided. Think we will go in late may 2016. I have already been doing things to help prepare the old truck for the long haul. Thinking about going up by way of Saint Louis, Kansas City, Denver then up to Yellowstone. Coming back may be different, go the northern way.

Thanks Richard
get ready for some possible bad weather . Just spent the last 3.5 months in West Yellowstone , May can be bad . The park routes may or may not be open . don't go over Teton pass in may 10% grades and mostly still snowy then ' the best way in would be though idaho falls hwy 20 into west yellowstone .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #13

I was in Yellowstone in 08 June the tenth and snow was at least two foot high then. There was snow all the way to West Yellowstone. It snowed every night and some in daylight. If I had just a few weeks then I would plan a little later, of course I love snow. We stayed in Canyon Campground and there was very few people there, it was cold, I loved it!!!! DW and I made snow cream every day.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I second Bad Lands NP - just other worldly worth 1/2 day drive through, Custer State Park Camp here for two nights if you can (best state park I have been to ever, drive the wildlife loop and the needles highway), Devils Tower (drive through, stop for an hour or two, because it's on the way), Grand Teton NP (camp, visit Jenny lake, best hiking park in the US IMO). Stay on eastern time! You will find Yellowstone very busy after Noon (parking lots fill). See the big sites in the AM (get out before the crowds).
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #15

Made reservations at fishing bridge in Yellowstone will be there the first of June, I hope the weather holds out for us. But first going to spend a day at rapid city area and take in the sites and a day in Cody. Staying 4 days in Yellowstone then down to Jackson for a day or two, then spend some time in Denver area, to dodge city and back home. Looking forward to the trip,,,,but that's a lot of driving
Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #16

We did a trip from Ohio to Yellowstone this summer. Great trip except YS itself was disappointing. . We did a family reunion meeting kids and grandkids from Ohio and Utah. We took I-90 across staying in Wisconsin Dells one night (skip the KOA it is directly on Railroad tracks).

Nice stop was at the KOA Belvedere, at Midland SD just east of the Badlands. Also a great place to stay is the KOA at Devils Tower. They show the movie outside every night with DT in the background ( ask for a spot in the back by the tent area.)

As for YS itself. I have been there about 6 times in the past 50 years and it was terrible. We stayed at Bridge Bay CG. Noisy, crowded, no management (the CG hosts suggest calling 911 for noise complaints) There were parties going on until 2-3 in the morning at a site nearby and it took about 6 campers complaining to get the party kicked out after the second night. Stay away from Bridge Bay.

The trick at YS is to get up really early and be back to camp by 10:00 which seems to be when everyone else hits the road. We saw tons of wildlife and all the big sites without the crowds. Then spend the day near your camp. Take a hike or just hang out, I charged my batteries when the genny would not bother anyone. Have an early dinner then head out again about 5:00 when everyone else is getting back to camp. The best wildlife is out early and late. During the day you will sit in traffic waiting to see a buffalo standing along the road along with a thousand other people. In the morning at Oh dark 30 you will see bears, elk, moose, etc.

Of course hit the highlights like Old Faithful, all the other geysers, Grand Canyon of the YS.

I went Fly Fishing a couple of mornings in the Lamar valley. Not To be missed for wildlife spotting.

Definitely go to Grand Tetons. Better than YS in my opinion. Depends of what you want to do.

We took I80 back east. Big mistake. Hardly any campgrounds. Check your guides. We ended up one night behind a Cabelas, which actually was OK for a quick stop.

I would suggest either going back I 90 or maybe look into I-70.

One really great drive we took was diagonal across Wyoming from Tetons to Rawlins ( Rt 26 to Rt 287) through the the Wind River Range. Definitely worth it if you have the time. Gods country.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
As for YS itself. I have been there about 6 times in the past 50 years and it was terrible. We stayed at Bridge Bay CG. Noisy, crowded, no management (the CG hosts suggest calling 911 for noise complaints) There were parties going on until 2-3 in the morning at a site nearby and it took about 6 campers complaining to get the party kicked out after the second night. Stay away from Bridge Bay.

The trick at YS is to get up really early and be back to camp by 10:00 which seems to be when everyone else hits the road. We saw tons of wildlife and all the big sites without the crowds.
I think a better trick for you to enjoy YNP even more, is to NOT to go in the peak summertime!
We went there right after Labor Day and had a wonderful and un-crowded visit.
Course we never camp in the summer, since we can camp in the spring and fall.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #18

You are certainly right about timing. Unfortunately because of various schedules and coordinating three families, the week including July 4 was tre only choice. It was a total zoo.

Being retired it was really frustrating since we could go any time including off peak.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #19
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
You are certainly right about timing. Unfortunately because of various schedules and coordinating three families, the week including July 4 was tre only choice. It was a total zoo.

Being retired it was really frustrating since we could go any time including off peak.

Jeez no wonder you were disappointed in Yellowstone, you picked the worst week of the entire year to go there. I never go to any NP, state park, or COE campground during a week with a major holiday. It's always a zoo.

BTW, quiet times are strictly enforced in Yellowstone so you really should have called for a park ranger if people were partying til 2 or 3 AM. I've seen rangers issue tickets for running a generator during quiet times. Bridge Bay is my least favorite campground in YS, it seems that all the sites are short and tight.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #20

I have fun in Yellowstone anytime I go, there is no bad time for me in Yellowstone. The crowds are not a problem for us, we are all there for the same thing, wildlife and scenic views.