Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

LA to mt Rushmore?

Would love to hear about others similar trips
Want to start planning this trip pulling our 22 ft evo. Any sugestion what time of year weather wise and route? Tentatively in June for 3-4 weeks.
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

1st. Lucky dog.
2nd.Pack tonight.
3rd.Leave tomorrow. Great time to get going.
4th. Safe trip.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #3

We did our second Rushmore trip this past Summer (also went in 2013)... It's a great trip....

We started our trip from Texas (near Beaumont)....

Would be glad to share our iteniary if you're interested..... It lists mileage, CG's, things to see, etc...

PM me if ur interested.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #4

Plan on spending just one day making a drive around the area checking place to do and see for the next week. I have been there twice and still missed some neat places.
I am guessing since you will be coming in from LA area probably running I-80 all the to around Cheyenne, WY and then cutting north to the Black Hills. I would recommend coming in from the west or south and stay in the Custer area. It's pretty central to everything. Rapid City is not much to see. Deadwood is pretty crowded last I was there but worth a visit. Custer State Park is a must see. Engineers Highway and The Needles are a must see. Keystone is a funky little tourist trap but a good place for a lunch stop or afternoon ice cream.
Crazy Horse memorial is worth every bit of the admission price. I could go on forever about the place.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2 on Crazy Horse....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetay View Post
Would love to hear about others similar trips
Want to start planning this trip pulling our 22 ft evo. Any sugestion what time of year weather wise and route? Tentatively in June for 3-4 weeks.
I hope it's not June of 16. I'm going this summer, hill city, West Yellowstone, grand Tetons, and Jackson WY. I did my res. Before Christmas 2015 and they were almost full. This yr. Is 100yr. Anniversary and it will be full of people from around the world.
Don't give me meds.
Just let me camp!!!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Please see the Needles in your tow vehicle. We were there last year for Sturgis and somehow a MH was trying to go through and ended up having to back out until he could turn around. A lot of unhappy people.
TomnGerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #8

Talking

We loved the area. Our favorite was Crazy Horse! We were there in early May last year, so the crowds were limited but it was still cold. Well, cold for southern Californians!
Have fun!
kgailtighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Plan on spending just one day making a drive around the area checking place to do and see for the next week. I have been there twice and still missed some neat places.
I am guessing since you will be coming in from LA area probably running I-80 all the to around Cheyenne, WY and then cutting north to the Black Hills. I would recommend coming in from the west or south and stay in the Custer area. It's pretty central to everything. Rapid City is not much to see. Deadwood is pretty crowded last I was there but worth a visit. Custer State Park is a must see. Engineers Highway and The Needles are a must see. Keystone is a funky little tourist trap but a good place for a lunch stop or afternoon ice cream.
Crazy Horse memorial is worth every bit of the admission price. I could go on forever about the place.
Great idea! Just talked to my hubby as we're headed back to the east coast again this October. We are definitely planing a 'getting to know you' day at each of our scheduled stops! Should add about 10 days but it'll be well worth it!
kgailtighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

Could u and me ur itenarry we live in Bryan tx
Keo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #11

We have made Custer-Mt. Rushmore area an almost annual trip for past 16 years. Sometimes camping, sometimes hotels. Custer is our landing zone of choice.

In picking routes, please note I70 east and westbound between Gypsum and Glenwood Springs, CO, is currently heavily damaged, and from photos, complete repairs will be quite some time in coming. Whether I70 or I80, snow can appear well into May. If you take southern route to I25 through Colorado to Wyoming to SD, there's plenty to see along the way. Devil's Tower in WY is enjoyable, worth an overnight. We've stayed at KOA there in the past and it was fine.

In Mt Rushmore area there are also Jewel and Wind Caves (national park service operations) to visit.

We used to use Flintstones campground with the grandkids, but I understand it closed permanently last fall. I think we stayed at Custer KOA some years ago.

Any time in the summer, plan to dress in layers. It can get quite chilly in the evenings. And rain gear. There is the Mickelson Trail for hiking, cycling, as well.

I will say Custer grocery shopping is sort of limited, so if you have any "must have" items plan accordingly.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

LA to Mt. Rushmore

Recommend you make the below listed stops in no particular order: LA to Las Vegas - stay at Sam's Town. nice RV Park, low rates. Then Zion Nat'l Park; Zion River RV Park; then Vernal Utah, Fossil Valley RV Park; then Grand Tetons - too late to get into Colter Bay, but try one of the RV Parks in the town of Jackson; then on to Mountain View RV near the town of Sundance, WY. Easy access from there to Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Custer, Deadwood, Crazy Horse all in one long day. Also easy drive to Devils Tower. On return, you may want to also visit Arches NP and Canyonlands NP off I-70 near Moab, UT. We've stayed at Shady Acres RV in Green River, UT, and it is not nearly as crowded as the RV Parks in Moab.

Don't miss Red Rock Canyon near Vegas and the Dinosaur Museum in Vernal, UT.

June-July-August are hot with good chance of thunderstorms everywhere......but that's part of the fun!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote