Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Lady Wendolyn's big adventure 2010

Hi friends,
I am sitting around a campfire in Rocky mountain park Colorado on the third day of out holiday. The first two days we did not pull into our campgrounds until 10:00 at night after making the newbie mistake of forgetting that it is much slower going when pulling a trailer. So a seven hour trip on the road actually takes much longer by the time you break camp and get the trailer going and of course we are not as fast as usual on the highways.
Yesterday we got lost getting to lake ogalla because the park was not on our gps, and so we had to use a map! We are a very techie family and so the map was a big deal lol!
I also lost my wallet in Valentine Nebraska, but some very honest people at Mc Donaldson found it and put it into the mail for me.
Then today...... A big family pulled in to camp next to us and set up a tent, they were so cheerful and no fighting at all so we christened them the "perfect" family and in our hilarious dysfunctional way immediately started an invisible contest with them to outdo their perfection!

So we are having a good time, and my son is playing the guitar and singing and tomorrow we will go right over the big mountain.*

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

I'm Jealous. We were supposed to go to Colorado and Utah in September but I couldn't get enough time off from work to do the trip the way we wanted to. We had planned to do some awesome back country Jeep trails, check out ghost towns and check out old mining areas, then head to Moab Utah for more spectacular scenery and Jeepn' but maybe next year. If not then maybe in 5 and a half years when we retire.

Enjoy the trip and post pics when you can.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your trip. Sounds like a great time so far. All those little mistakes make for fun converstions around the campfire at night.

If your able to, post some pics along the way.

Enjoy your trip!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #4

Have lots of fun.....and yes please share some pics of the place if you can. we have plans to go to Colorado too but don't know where yet.
2007 Sub 5.3L 3:73
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Jan Goldfield

Are you going to drive Trail Ridge Road? It's beautiful! Driving up to the Trail Ridge visitors' center on Old Fall River Road is even more spectacular.
And hike Bear Lake. I love RMNP. I think I could live there. Estes Park is a pretty little town as well.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Very cool. Ah, the best laid plans.......... Sounds like you're having a perfect trip...as perfect as any RV trip can be. Keep up the fun, and looking forward to your next report!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #7

We were in RMNP a month ago. Great place! Are you staying in the park? We stayed at Moraine Campground inside the park and it was great.

2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Jan Goldfield

Is that Emerald Lake with Long's Peak in the background? Fantastic photo!

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #9

We are staying just outside of the park at a commercial campground called Estes park jellystone. It is one of those campgrounds that really caters to families, very clean, and they have constant activities to keep your kids busy. These type places can be very crowded, but I always ask for a secluded and shaded site so the put us up at the top of the park, ( sites in the #20's, we are number 23) and they are really big, private and the mountain rises in your back yard, and the camp is terraced so that you have a view down the valley and no one right next to you. I am mentioning this because I always want people to tell me the good sites to book. I think it would be great if we had a section on this website where we could rate and recommend campgrounds.
Yes we are driving up the ridge today. I will try and post pics, but I am using my new iPad and I am a little shaky on the picture part so we will see how it goes.
Have a great day all.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote