Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

looking for 1st caravan

Getting my RV in Feb. and now retired would like to get into a caravan tour to finally see some of the USA. We live in Oregon and are hoping for something that starts out in the NW. Do you have recommendations?
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Always Learning

Yep- how far and long do you want to go?

Back in September, we drove from Oregon down 101 to Anaheim and then over to Albuquerque and beyond.

What kinds of things do you like?
Old 12-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Team

When you say "caravan", do you mean traveling with a group of RVers?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
When you say "caravan", do you mean traveling with a group of RVers?
Ohhhh, given the reference to "caravan tour", I bet you're right. I thought it was a Brit referring to a RV as a "caravan".
Old 12-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

RV Caravans

Our friend highly recommends: https://www.fantasyrvtours.com/
RV - 2018 Open Range 2804RK
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

Talking Expensive tour guide

We looked into taking a "Caravan" tour to Alaska and were flabbergasted at how much they cost. Plus you are locked into a set schedule. If you wake up one morning and just are too sick to drive you are left behind and have to catch up on your own......If you get to some stop and want to see more than what they have scheduled for you to see you are just out of luck.....We opted to do our own tour. 20,000 miles and 4 months of seeing and doing what we wanted worked out great for us....Never made the first reservation and never got turned away. We would move on at about 9:30 in the morning and stop between noon and 3pm. People who tried to get into campgrounds after 5-6 were having to take left overs.....Be brave, be adventurous ........
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

Check here: www.fantasyrvtours.com We have been on several of their events and loved it.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

Passport America has a couple caravans during the year as well as several Rallies you may want to check out. http://passportamerica.com
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Check here: www.fantasyrvtours.com We have been on several of their events and loved it.
Sounds perfect for the "Rich and Famous". Way out of our price range, we like to travel at our own speed. Relax and enjoy ourselves when and where "we" chose.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
We looked into taking a "Caravan" tour to Alaska and were flabbergasted at how much they cost. Plus you are locked into a set schedule. If you wake up one morning and just are too sick to drive you are left behind and have to catch up on your own......If you get to some stop and want to see more than what they have scheduled for you to see you are just out of luck.....We opted to do our own tour. 20,000 miles and 4 months of seeing and doing what we wanted worked out great for us....Never made the first reservation and never got turned away. We would move on at about 9:30 in the morning and stop between noon and 3pm. People who tried to get into campgrounds after 5-6 were having to take left overs.....Be brave, be adventurous ........
This is Freedom! Youroo!!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
larryandamy

Looking for 1st caravan

I just completed a 100 day 16,900 mile trip from San Diego to Northeast Canada and USA and we saw a lot of caravans in our travels. The people got together at campgrounds and had a lot of fun. Some traveled together and some just met at time/location agreed to.
Personally, my wife and I do not like the idea of caravans or tour groups, but most people like them. I am just too impatient to wait for the group to get moving or stopped or not going to be able to be spontaneous and go where we want to. We do meet up with friends and travel together occasionally, but they are people we know and like. Caravans can put you together with people you may not get along with... Like Christians and atheists... Trump and Hillary supporters... These can get ugly but maybe they have rules on politics and religion... So maybe you can find a group with a theme that fits you?? Different strokes for different folks...

BUT...
On Jan 18-22 we are going to meet up with a group in Quartzsite, AZ that sets up camp areas on BLM land. they setup in circles and this is supposed to be one of the largest gatherings of RV/TT in the country with a huge RV show going on there.
I would guess that or other RV shows would be a great place to hook up in you were so inclined. Maybe I will like it and do more... Who knows?? But the traveling together in groups does not appeal to me at all.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
Personally, my wife and I do not like the idea of caravans or tour groups, but most people like them.
I think you have it backwards.

Most RVers/campers DON'T like them and have little interest in them.
The vast majority of RVers bought theirs for the freedom it gives them.

I've been on 7 different RV forums for 15 years and RARELY see someone who participates in a caravan tour.
Usually it's those interested in the train caravan tour in Mexico.

We have traveled a lot and we NEVER take any kind of organized travel tours. Not even in Europe or any of our overseas travels.
We prefer to do our own thing and travel where locals travel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #13

Looks like to each his own. We have done it both ways. We love new places, we are easy going, love to meet new people and we are extremely flexible. Caravans are just fine with us. So are Rally's. We have been in every state in the Union and 40 or more countrys. If you have to ask about price it may not be for you.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
larryandamy

Caravans...

I was trying to be nice when I said most people like caravans/tours and not come across saying.. "Why would you want to do that?"
They definitely are not for me. I haven't even ever done a cruise for the reason they that I think they are really a tour and i am afraid I would go stir crazy cooped up on a ship.
I have traveled the world and I never do tours unless forced to. I have taken many trips to Israel were I see all these buses unloading and loading hundreds of people at each stop. I could never have the patience required for that. I am always the guy doing it my way. Yes, I am bit of a control freak and unfortunately, patience is a virtue I do not possess and I wish I did.

But like I said. "Different strokes for different folks", so i do not say i am right and they are wrong... We just have different perspectives and needs. There are advantages of tapping into the "experts" knowledge and the safety in numbers thing... And some things you just can't do outside a tour.

I would only do a "caravan" with max of 2 or 3 RV's and then only with known friends and most of the time I will say... "I will meet you there".

I think I do see a lot more and spend a lot less. But I do miss out on some things too.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ohhhh, given the reference to "caravan tour", I bet you're right. I thought it was a Brit referring to a RV as a "caravan".
Oregon is a little ways from the UK.
Just joking.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Oregon is a little ways from the UK.

Just joking.

LOL, they do move here ya know.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
LOL, they do move here ya know.
I miss my friend at work. He just moved back across the pond. His Mum is a pastry chef and used to send us stuff all the time at work.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote