Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #1

Mesa Verde

Although the current camping season isn't over yet we are thinking about camping in Colorado next year especially Mesa Verde National Park and The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Has anyone camped in that section of the country and if so can you recommend RV campgrounds out there. We are mostly interested in full hook up or at least water/electric sites. Thanks for your input.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #2

We went to Mesa Verde several years ago but did not camp so I can't help you with it. I do know it is very beautiful country there and you are in for a treat. We went just after a forest fire had passed through part of the park, which was interesting in itself. Thankfully none of the major areas were affected.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
This is a shameless plug ... But we joined Good Sams Club. With that membership you get a membership to Trailer Life Directory. It provides great info about camping in the area you are going. This can be online before you go. Or you can buy a PC version to care with you. I used the online version to plan our 3 week summer vacation.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Colorado

Video for Gunnison Lakeside Resort

This might help and the owners (Pat and Stan) are great folks.
http://realvideocampsites.com/campsites/view/16694
keithbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #5

Looks like they pulled that video off the page. Try this link.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...19727&t=h&z=12
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
CampeRooo

I know that there's not many full hookup sites in the Black Canyon NP, so you might check these additional campgrounds at Curecanti National Recreation Area (Blue Mesa Reservoir) , and Ridgeway Lake and Crawford Lake State Recreation Areas. Private campgrounds are also located near Montrose, Delta and Cimarron.

This might help you with some links to find out more about these areas - http://www.coloradodirectory.com/montrose/

I've stayed at a private campground at Blue Mesa Reservoir, but there were not any hookups, they provide some older RV's for you to sleep in as well as tent areas. If you like fishing for Salmon, this is a great place for it, but they're deep...we caught ours at about 60-70 feet below the water surface.

Since you're going to be in that area anyway, don't forget to visit Telluride, Ouray, Ridgeway, and there's some really nice areas just west of Durango to check out as well.

One suggestion...write this one down...you'll thank me later...

Don't drive with the RV any further then Ouray (going south) or past Hermosa (going north) on Hwy 50. For one, there's more then one reason why they call that road to Silverton the "millon dollar highway"...there's about a million bucks worth of vehicles that have gone off the side of that 2 lane road. The wife and I travelled it one time in a Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab and by the time we got back to the flat land, she had to pry her nails out of my dash and I had to force her off of my lap. Once you're on it, there's nowhere to turn around (even in a honda civic) and the corners are very nasty, barely enough room for a vehicle to go around the corner without crossing into the opposite lane. So be very very careful if you consider the idea of heading to Silverton. It's pretty...but not for those who are squeemish about driving on the edge of a mountain.

My wife and I will be heading that direction for Xmas this year to stay with her brother and family in Rico. If there's anything I can do for you to get you some information, just let me know.

Joe

P.S. by the way, my wife and her family are from Brighton...about 50 miles from Fraser. Say Ya! to da U.P.eh?

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
CampeRooo

Even better....I just found this tonight.

http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/

You can purchase annual hard copies too on Amazon.com.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #8

I thank you all for the suggestions and the links. We have time now to look at the web sites and decide.

Thanks "rthrbelsewhere" for the tip. Many years ago I drove with a friend on Lime Creek road (I think that was the road) through the mountains on the way to Durango or Silverton (I don't remember which) and thought that was a scary drive.....beautiful scenery though. BTW...there is a nice State Park in the Brighton area, very popular. Maybe camp sometime in 'Da U.P.' you'll love it.

Jim

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote