Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #1

Monsoon camping trip!

Just returned today from Crooked River State Park in southern Georgia- exit 3 off of I 95, and it rained from friday evening till early AM sunday! Wanted to let folks know that the power A&E/Dometic awning during the monsoon performed fabulously! It has the knob on the rear arm assembly to allow it to tilt and release the water at a certain weight automatically. You only need to leave the black knob loose. There were only about 8 other brave camping families there that we saw. We stayed late as possible sunday to dry off! no more rain, sunshine and 75 degrees! A few sand gnats, however. (Florida no see-ums!)
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #2

Sounds great to us right about now. We spent a week on the Oregon coast this last January and had a great time. Poured down rain several of the days but did let up long enough to do some hiking along the coastal bluffs and I was able to get out my RC planes a couple of times. We like camping any time of the year. Although our power awning didn't work worth a hill of beans for us. Had to constantly worry about it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

All wet?

Like this?

Me at Fort McAllister State Park, Georgia, Spring Break, 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MeWetMcAllsiter.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2034  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

crooked river used to be our stomping grounds, great place and great scenery. did you swim the miles of trails in the woods
Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #5

No, we just hung around the camper, and of course ya gotta made a visit to the local Wallyworld! The campground was only half open; the front loop only, as they were working on the electric supplies on the back loop. They had a good nature program that we went to, and the pool is permanently closed now- lack of funding. They still have the little putt putt course, however. Too wet for any trails. Very peaceful trip, and at least we got away from the house, and went camping! We were at Fort Mc Allister on the 4th of July weekend that just passed, and we took a day trip to visit Fort Pulaski, also. We live in Jax, so Fort Clinch is here (Fernandina beach) we'll be there camping on the 10th of January. Loved Pulaski!! Best fort in the best condition I've seen yet! You can probably tell we love State Parks! Randy
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
No, we just hung around the camper, and of course ya gotta made a visit to the local Wallyworld! The campground was only half open; the front loop only, as they were working on the electric supplies on the back loop. They had a good nature program that we went to, and the pool is permanently closed now- lack of funding. They still have the little putt putt course, however. Too wet for any trails. Very peaceful trip, and at least we got away from the house, and went camping! We were at Fort Mc Allister on the 4th of July weekend that just passed, and we took a day trip to visit Fort Pulaski, also. We live in Jax, so Fort Clinch is here (Fernandina beach) we'll be there camping on the 10th of January. Loved Pulaski!! Best fort in the best condition I've seen yet! You can probably tell we love State Parks! Randy
when we live din jville it was our GET out of town place
as well as camp blanding

1 hr drive and rest and relax, sorry to hear the pool is closed now.
my wife and I must walked 30 miles through the wooded trails over the years there
have you stayed at Kings bay rv park yet?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #7

Hi powerboatr. No, we haven't stayed at King's bay RV park. Isn't that just a rock's throw before ya get to Crooked river SP? We used to camp at Strickland's landing a few years back, but now they are closed, and developers are building houses on that. No public access to Kingsley lake left, that I know of. Ocean pond near Olustee battlefield is our only accessible lake in the area that I know of-(unless you call Flamingo lake RV one) right around the corner from my house. We need more campgrounds in north Fla!!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Randy, I would have never thought to use the adjustable arm that way. The one rainy weekend we had, I locked in a tilt and used 'Happy Hooks' to hold the awning down as the wind blew.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #9

Hi David, and yes, it works very well, and it's kinda cool to watch it work, also. You still can tie it down, as well- just tie it down in the fully open on a calm day position, and it will collapse in from that point, as needed. Just leave the knob loose. Randy