Old 05-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Stetay View Post
Well our first big trip from so cal to mt Rushmore is coming up in two weeks. We leave June 4. Looking at the weather reports there is not encouraging, they are showing thunder storms and flood warnings almost every day. Am becoming concerned about the drive. Any onsite? Pulling a 26' tt for the fist big trip

We are here now for the third night tonight.....heading to Yellowstone next. Weather and flooding are not a problem. They apparently had a couple inches of rain just before we arrived that caused some low lying creek flooding. There has been a lot of wind and cool air but no concerns.
You will love the area. Tip- spend a day in Custer State Park.....beautiful park. We also did Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore.
We are staying in a commercial park but wish we'd gone to the state park.
Enjoy your trip!

Darrell & Kathy
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS 5er
2013 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel
B&W Companion Slider
wdw0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
We were in the area several years ago, really have to take a tour of the badlands if you have time. We actually stayed in a campground in the badlands which was really a nice time.

gpalladinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
We are leaving from Dallas headed up there also. I too am concerned about the weather but we will just stop if needed. Also staying at Fish 'n Fry. You aren't also running the marathon by chance?
Millerx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #14

I live in the Black Hills and weather is usually not a concern. We get thunderstorms but the atmosphere here is generally dry so thunderstorms are usually not very big or widespread. We do occasionally get hail but in 31 years I have not have had any vehicle or roof damage.

My favorite campground is Rafter J south of Hill City.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you!! We have reservations at the welikit campground June 10 to the 15th. Every thing I've read the entire area sound great. Plan on unhooking the trailer and seeing the area.
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #16
We'll be in the Rushmore area from Flowery Branch Ga June 16-22. Don't sweat the weather forecast. I'm originally from Iowa and know those forecasters can rarely "guess" the weather for the next couple of days, let alone 2 or 3 weeks out. You'll love the area...tons of things to do and natural beauty galore!
gp2down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
The weather isn't much of a concern. Just different than we get here in so Cal. Our big trip last year was to Dolores, Colorado and we probably had thunderstorms every single day. It would pour for about an hour and clear up. Great napping weather. But nothing flooded or caused any problems. Have fun!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
jammer 16
Hope you have campground reservations it's busy this time of the year. Also in the state park are several small tunnels that only a car can fit through. One we almost lost our mirrors trying to get through. The entrance center is very tourist friendly. You'll enjoy the park
2016 windjammer model 3025
2015 Ram 2500 Longhorn Diesel
Traveled 9200 miles in 2015 camping 68 nights
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Dr Travel
Second-most disappointing park in the National Park system IMHO. Both my wife and I found it hokey, outdated, and underwhelming. Others love it. Wish you the best on your trip. Wind Cave NP, Theodore Roosevelt NP, and Badlands NP are much more dramatic and interesting and worthwhile.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #20
I highly recommend the Mt. Rushmore KOA. 12620 hwy 244, hill City, SD 57745

tjmezzan is offline   Reply With Quote