Old 05-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
Is there a car rental company nearby? We'd like to see more than just Mt Rushmore while we are in the area.
I suggest calling the campground. They probably work with a company that will deliver a car to you.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #32

Where to stay in Black Hills

If you are looking for a top notch RV park in the Black Hills near Mt. Rushmore the BEST park in which you may ever stay is "Rafter J Bar Ranch". It has been named one of the 100 best in the Nation. My wife and I happen to be staying here right now and it is unbelievable. I will tell you that this park has absolutely everything you want and is in the middle of all of the best attractions. It is huge, is full of giant Ponderosa Pines and even has a snack bar that serves pizza! Don't worry, we're not affiliated in any way. We found it by accident. What a gorgeous park!!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipV View Post
If you are looking for a top notch RV park in the Black Hills near Mt. Rushmore the BEST park in which you may ever stay is "Rafter J Bar Ranch". It has been named one of the 100 best in the Nation. My wife and I happen to be staying here right now and it is unbelievable. I will tell you that this park has absolutely everything you want and is in the middle of all of the best attractions. It is huge, is full of giant Ponderosa Pines and even has a snack bar that serves pizza! Don't worry, we're not affiliated in any way. We found it by accident. What a gorgeous park!!
Sounds expensive?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #34

Rafter J Bar Ranch

I think our nightly fee was in the mid to upper forties including tax and our 10% Good Sam discount. That's for a full hook-up and, in our opinion, worth every penny.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #35

We're planning a 5 week trip in Sept. also. Leaving day after Labor day from Va, and planning 10 days out to SD to see the sights, including all that everyone has mentioned, Devil's Tower thrown in. Plan on 10 days in the area, then cutting across the northern states eastbound to the Michigan UP, then down the lakeside.
Plan to stay a J Bar as following posts, seems to be a great park/base.
Definately following this thread.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #36

This looks like a nice park and where we are staying.

Photo Gallery | Fish 'N Fry Campground | Camping in Deadwood, South Dakota
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #37

Mt Rushmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp2down View Post
We'll be in the Rushmore area from Flowery Branch Ga June 16-22. Don't sweat the weather forecast. I'm originally from Iowa and know those forecasters can rarely "guess" the weather for the next couple of days, let alone 2 or 3 weeks out. You'll love the area...tons of things to do and natural beauty galore!
We'll be there at Holy Smoke Campground from June19 to the 24th. Hoping that'll be enough time to see it all. Have fun!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #38

Heading to the west on June 3 ourselves from Pittsburgh PA. Can't wait.... I have been planning this three month trip all winter and it's finally here . We are going to all of the national parks and area attractions around Yellowstone , glacier np and Rushmore ! Be safe fellow travelers.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums macevoyj
Old 05-30-2016, 02:41 AM   #39

Headed there from Seattle area later in June for our first long haul adventure. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macevoyj View Post
Heading to the west on June 3 ourselves from Pittsburgh PA. Can't wait.... I have been planning this three month trip all winter and it's finally here . We are going to all of the national parks and area attractions around Yellowstone , glacier np and Rushmore ! Be safe fellow travelers.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums macevoyj
We are leaving from Pittsburgh on the 9th to go to Mt. Rushmore. Just a few days there then onto Santa Barbara, CA.

Have fun!

Wish i was going for 3 months, I only have 2 weeks.