Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone

We live in Kansas and in June are planning a trip to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Sequoia NP, Las Vegas and Scottsdale AZ.

We need some help deciding which roads to take up to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone.

We have a 3/4 ton crew cab, 4x4 HD and 32' fifth wheel. Yellowstone doesn't have any main highways to it.

Can someone help us?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

I haven't been there, yet. My trip is in August. But I will say this, start booking and soon. I found that there wasn't a lot of open sites available and that was a month ago.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

We are at Ellsworth AFB now not too far from Mount Rushmore. We went there a couple days ago. The road to Rushmore goes through Rapid City, SD. We drove through Custer State Park to see the buffalo. Very windy road with one lane tunnels. Plug it in your GPS and enjoy the view.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
I Break Everything

We've done trips similar. There's not a lot of places you can't go. We went through all the winding roads in S. Dakota from Mount Rushmore without issues. Roads into Yellowstone are okay as well. I only had a little trouble with a campground in Sequoia, I don't remember the name, it was smack dab in the middle of the park. Short winding roads in the campground lined by curbs. We had a 34' 5th wheel at the time and made it out alive. Just use common since when traveling on hills/mountains.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #5

We just got back from the Black Hills. Gorgeous area, but I would avoid Rapid City. Highway 44 was under construction, with a good size drop off on one side and narrow traffic on the other. We came home thru Deadwood on #385 connecting with 14 to I- 90 and had a short construction area, but was not as bad as Rapid City. We were there a week and tried to do it all from zip lining at Rushmore, renting a pontoon boat to driving around the sturgis area. A lot of motorcycles were coming in for the rally and a lot of businesses were busy in preparation for the 75th rally. We LOVED everything about that area

Proud owner of a 2015 Sabre 33RET S-6, Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Denise S is offline   Reply With Quote