Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #1

Myrtle Beach Recommendations?

New TT owner and planning a trip to Myrtle Beach in June; have not been there in years.

Is anyone familiar with Myrtle Beach Travel Park? Comments?

So far MBTP seems to be our choice, however also considering Lakewood, Ocean Lakes and Pirateland. My sense is MBTP may be a little less crowded; golf cart restrictions etc. Being I haven't camped at any of them, would love to hear from those who have.

BTW, we are older with no small children; it would only be my wife and I.

Thanks all.
tothebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

We stay at the State Park and love it! But we prefer smaller parks and don't care for the "Resort" style parks.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Always Learning

From what I've seen of Myrtle Beach recommendations- everyone has their favorite and they all seem good. I don't think you can go wrong with any in the area.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
We stay at the State Park and love it! But we prefer smaller parks and don't care for the "Resort" style parks.
x'2 on the state park much better then the crowded resorts, they are just how do I say Suck.....Unless you want to be with 500 trailers and golf carts. You have beach access from the park very nice.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

Have never stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park but have been staying at Huntington Beach State Park for years. Find it to be perfect for camping. If you love golf carts running 24/7 mini golf and a dozen other distractions then it is not your place. If you love serene quiet campsites, beautiful hiking trails, and non-crowded natural beach then it's your place.
TN2TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #6

We have stayed at Lakewood the past 2 years. Our favorite summer vacation spot. They do have a lot of carts driving around, but most congestion at night. Seems like everyone thinks it's fun for some reason to drive in a big line at night. Anyways, we drove through Ocean Lakes one time during the day and it just seemed way more packed with cars and carts. It took a long time to make a circle and get out of there. I can't say enough good about Lakewood. We look forward to going back again this year!
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #7

I've stayed in Ocean Lakes and Pirateland. I like Ocean Lakes more because it's newer and my DW likes Pirateland better because of the lazy river and pool(s). They're both nice places in Myrtle Beach. I've never tried Lakewood. Some places don't allow alcohol in the CG at all, so if that matters to you keep an eye out.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

There are many posts on this very topic here, but we have stayed at MBTP and Will do it again. It was nice quiet and close the the ocean. Im.sure all of the others are similar, but my wife and I will go back again. It's in North myrtle Beach and isn't right in the mix of all the commotion. It is just south of a park that no one goes to, so the beach feels like it is really only for the rv community.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #9

I think travel park is not on beach side kinda like briarcliff I have stayed at oceans lake pirate land Lakewood Mbsp cypress creek Huntington sp hunting island sp Mbsp is my favorite bigger sites but it gets very crowded also it wasn't like that 10 years ago but it is now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
Just Love to Camp

Myrtle Beach Travel Park is on the ocean! It rocks. We usually take the cart everywhere but here. Love that there are not a ton of carts riding all the time. Nice facility. Go every year and stay close to 20 days there are more threads on this if you look under the east coast. If you have more questions please ask Happy Camping

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #11

I was wrong it is on the beach I was thinking of Koa I'm sure it it a great place most are in myrtle beach area

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #12

Myrtle Beach Travel Park is a nice park conveniently located in North Myrtle Beach. If you plan to go go ahead and obtain reservations because it fills up during summer months. BTW, don't take an easy-up tent for the beach. You will be fined if you do.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #13

Myrtle Beach Travel Park is the best!!!!! My view each time I walked out the door =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424237667130.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	69847  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #14

Pirateland is heavily crowded w kids and rented, unskilled, golf cart drivers. Because of high use, keeping after trash pickup falls short. I WOULD NOT GO THERE WITHOUT OUR GRANDCHILDREN! Cannot speak to the other parks. RUN AWAY!
On a plus, the La z River was fun! But that was it! Been there 2x. Same experience both visits.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #15

Myrtle Beach Recommendations?

Ocean lakes is very tight. Carts galore, about every 10-15 seconds they would pass us. We went last
June. Had a good time but it's far from what we're used to as camping goes. The facilities were very clean and well kept. The pools and beaches are nice. If we were to go back to Myrtle beach, I'd try MBTP or the KOA.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #16

All the campgrounds have plus & minuses depending on what you like. If you have big dogs Lakewood only says they allow 25lbs or less. For the most part the others have just breed restrictions. We have been going to Ocean Lakes for over 20 years & they are cracking down on Golf Cart issues but they are very big nearly 900 sites which will be nearly full in June ( may already be) and another 2000 permanent beach houses.........300 acres / nearly a mile of ocean front. We like the off season when it seems like a ghost town ........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #17

Sorry Lakewood is not for us but maybe ok for others from their web site "NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES within the resort, hate barking dogs but.....Pets that make noise or create any other nuisance must be placed in a local kennel at the pet owner's expense. Thats wide open to interpretation.
Interesting..... Lost or stolen wristbands will incur a $50 replacement fee per wristband. Must wear the wristband received upon registration in order to access any and all available amenities and attractions (including the indoor & outdoor pools). Access to attractions will be prohibited to any registered guest not wearing a wristband, with no exceptions.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote