Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Need some advice.

Leaving the first week of November to travel from NE Pa to SW New Mexico pulling our Heritage Glen 28rlt(5th wheel). Have made the trip from home to Albuquerque 2 times before without a camper. Wife and I have made it in three days arriving about 5 pm the third day. It was always easy as when we got tired we found a hotel and pulled in. I am not opposed to doing this going out since I need to get there. I have allowed 4 days this trip since we are going a little further and towing. Truck is good, camper is new so hopefully those are not issues. Questions I have are (1) would some of you more experienced travelers take the time to find a campground? )2) would you just pull into a rest area or Walmart? (3) Am I setting an unreasonable schedule?

The reason for the push is I have a hunting trip planned( sorry if it offends anyone). Our daughter and her husband will meet us, take my wife home with them to Phoenix after a few days. When I am done( 1-2 weeks) I will drive over to meet them, spend a few days and then start working our way home. Return trip we plan on taking our time and not pushing. Any advise would be appreciated. Long rides are not unusual for us but pulling a camper is adding a few concerns.

Thanks
Jim and Paula
Old 10-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

I would plan for one stop in a RV park the rest of the time a rest area would be just fine, but that's just me.
I would have no problem with driving for about 12 hours per day so stops would be based on that.
Deer or Elk??
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #3

Map quest says 34 hours and 2300 miles. 12 hours a day would be more than adequate. Staying one night in campground would work, allow us to dump tank and refill if needed. Thanks

Actually not deer or elk,I drew a Desert Sheep tag. Once in a lifetime tag.

Jim
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #4

Man that is going to be a great hunt, good luck.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #5

If it was me, The trip would be about 1.5 to 2 hours longer a day then the trip without the trailer (based on a 12 hour days).

I would try to get at least 200 miles on the trailer and have the bearing checked. I would also have the wheels balance.

I would use all the option plus motel going out. What ever eats up less time.

1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Find campgrounds with pull thru sites. You will tired and just want to pull in and stay connected to your TV. You can do this with back in but much easier and less time pull thru.

If you have an ipad, get allstays rv& camp. Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds

Will show you all camping options along your route. A good $10 investment

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips. Having made the ride before helps but it will be different. Checked out Allstays. Looks like a great resource.

Jim and Paula
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

New campers often have some issues with on-board systems. Try to do a shakedown trip to a local campground (if you haven't already) to detect any of those issues. Earlier advice on bearings and balancing is critical. Also, be sure and carry a lug nut wrench and tighten the lug nuts after a couple hundred miles!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #9

There is a Yahoo group devoted entirely to Walmart (and other locations) called WalmartRving. It has locations that are OK, not OK, etc. Some restrictions are based on local store policy, some on local or even state law.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #10

We did a shake down trip of about 300 miles last weekend. Found a couple of small issues(light bulb, misc.) which have since been corrected. Other than that and figuring out a few of the differences between our other camper nothing major. Will check balance and bearings. I am a contractor so I have a habit of bringing more tools then I will need. Does anyone have a list of suggested tools to bring along as standard equipment? I bought a nice little Multi-set, Sockets, and assorted things plus a cordless drill, flashlight. Plus I have a emergency jump start/compressor. Am I missing anything?

Jim
Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #11

Ammo
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #12

We have towed a 30 foot 5th wheel from Phoenix to Chicago and back a couple of time. Also Phoenix to Austin TX and back. Our truck is a 2006 Dodge Cummins 3500.
Stopping at RV parks is nice, and you get to empty the tanks and get water, but it is time consuming getting in and out. Walmarts are great if you have a 1000 watt Yamaha or Honda generator. The 1000 watt will run anything except the microwave, a hairdryer, and A/C. I think the trip will take you longer than you expect. If you are going to be at max weight on the trailer, you should think tires. I got tired of buying tires on trips because you can't even get fuel without skidding one iof the axles and watching your tires leave rubber everywhere. Sometimes I wished I had a single axle dually 5th wheel. Now we have a Vibe 6501 which is gentle on tires. Seriously, Be conscious of your tires on the trip. Check them at every stop for bulges and tread loss. Have a safe trip.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #13

There are several threads in this forum about what tools and supplies to take. Type tools in the search window at the top of this page, with the FRF "radio button" checked.

I always carry a good digitial multimeter and several 10' lengths of light gauge wire (maybe 18) with alligator clips for troubleshooting. A plug in 12-volt voltmeter is handy. I carry several square recess bits You probably already have these items.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote