Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #1

Needles in dually and SD trip in June!

We've wanted to take the girls (4,11,13) to SD for a while now but never seem to make it. We are planning an early June trip and hope to stay at rafter J. Pulling our 40' 5er with 22 1/2' diesel dually will be great on the way there. But I'm looking for recommendations on whether needles would be too sketchy or not and any other concerns I should be aware of while touring the area. We plan to see many of the main attraction's, but I'm open to ideas. I have read numerous threads similar to this, but nothing real recent and about driving a dually there.

Thanks
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #2

I went through needles with my 3500 Silverado and it was tight and I was lost. I was lost, I was following my Garmin. It was fun
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

I've been through them the last two years in my 2500. I put my mirrors in both times. Tunnel 5 is 8' 4" wide, so you'll have 3 1/2" total to spare. Doable, but you will worry. Oh, and depending on where you are staying, you need to pay attention to directions with that rig.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #4

I appreciate the honesty. I found a place we can possibly rent a car for the day, that'l has a parking permit for Rushmore and permit for Custer SP so that might be a way if we really want to. My wife get nervous on bridges so it might be best to skip anyways.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

By all means, you can't go to the Black Hills and not drive the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain road. Even if you feel you need to rent a car. You need a good day to do it, half day if you rush, but it makes a big loop all around the hills. It goes through Custer State park, which in my opinion is one of the wonders of the planet. On the north end is Sylvan lake, which has the lake where the end scene of National Treasure 2 was filmed.

If you are there June 3 or 4, the spring Volks march to the top of Crazy horse takes place, one of only 2 times a year you can get on top of the mountain.

I'm biased. I fell in love with the Black Hills two years ago. I was going to go back in May, but with uncertainty in weather that time of year and being the off season, we decide to go to Florida.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:10 PM   #6

We have stayed at Custer State Park twice in the past few years and drove Needles Highway both times. First time with a Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW. Last year with a Crew Cab, Long Bed, Dually. You just need to take your time and don't let some clown try to push you faster than you feel safe. It's a beautiful ride.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

Whew... wish everyone would not use abbreviations all the time. I first thought you were coming to the town of Needles, NV, on your way to San Diego. Then I was really confused when someone got lost in Needles with a GPS. After all, the freeway goes right through the town!!
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

We were there for the 75th Sturgis Rally. Iron Mountain / Needles have some beautiful scenery - have GoPro video of it all from cameras mounted on the Harley.

We did have to wait for a while at one of the tunnels - they run tour busses over both of them. The one we had to wait for - bus didn't get quite lined up correctly and ended up getting stuck One of our group drove semis and went in to the tunnel to help - they finally got through but the whole side of the bus was messed up. We LOL every time we watch that video - got the whole thing including the exhaust blasting out of the tunnel when they tried to just power through. Betting the people inside the bus were not having as good a time as we did watching.

So trust the comment from the other individual about the amount of space on either side depending on the tunnel. However since tour busses make it you should be fine - just be careful.

Been almost two years and DW still complains about paying to go into the Crazy Horse park - I'd just park on the road and look - unless you really want to go up and see close, not much to see that you can't from the road

All in all it is a beautiful area - Devils Tower was on the DW's bucket list and really cool to see up close.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #9

I went to Crazy Horse last year and had not been in a few years and could now see any change. Went through Custer State Park and got in a bison jam for a hour or more but we got to be in the middle of a herd of buffalo, it was cool. Then we got lost
Old 04-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Been almost two years and DW still complains about paying to go into the Crazy Horse park - I'd just park on the road and look - unless you really want to go up and see close, not much to see that you can't from the road
Got to go at the right time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5113.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	133552  
Old 04-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat4spd View Post
Got to go at the right time.

Wow that I would love to do
Old 04-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #12

We stayed at the Rafter J Bar Ranch and some day we are planning on going back there. A great RV park but one word of caution please put your awnings in every time you leave and during the night. As storms can blow-up very easily and are very violent since they roll off of the mountains there. We were there in July and a thunderstorm blow up in mid-day destroying several camper awnings on their trailers.

As far as the Needles Highway take your time and go slow thru the tunnels. I have a Mega Cab, 4X4, 6spd auto and I was watching the height and width at all of the tunnels. I did have to put my mirrors in at each tunnel to get thru. There are several switch backs on the way down or up, that might have you edging the other lane as you drive them, if I remember correctly. I did drive my truck either in 2 or 3 gear going down with the exhaust brake on to keep the speed under control. Than we hit one of the back-ups on the highway do to Bison's on the road and near the roadway, we got some wonder photos of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Needles highway 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	133595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive thru Custer Park.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	549.3 KB
ID:	133596  
Old 04-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replies! I think we will forgo needles, at least in the dually. Either rent a car or do it another time. I have nights booked at Rafter J Bar for June 9th-14th. Should be a great trip!