Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 03:10 AM   #1

New York City

Tenitive trip scheduled around June for NYC. Anyone been there? RV campgrounds nearby? Things to see and do? 5 adults going, 4 want to go bad. So I need someone to convince me it's a good idea.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #2

My first thought when I read your post was New Your City RV? = $100+ a night, gated guarded entrance, traffic you can walk faster in. Really I have no idea about the area, but would assume there are some nice RV parks outside the city
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

RE

Sloatsburg, Ny, Blackbear CG., Take metro North into city, about an hour train ride.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Liberty Harbor RV park and marina. In NJ but NY subway is maybe 4 blocks. The Ferry docks at the marina also. Just an asphalt parking lot but worked good for us.

Russell Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476754509.208955.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	123274
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

You could camp at Bethpage Battlerow campground in Bethpage, Long Island (or other campgrounds). Then take the Long Island Railtoad train (LIRR) into Penn station to visit the city. Lots of parks, beaches, etc right here on Long Island!!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Liberty Harbor RV park and marina. In NJ but NY subway is maybe 4 blocks. The Ferry docks at the marina also. Just an asphalt parking lot but worked good for us.

Russell Attachment 123274
If your plan is to go into NYC and not camp this could work for you. Yes, it is just a parking lot with water and electric and you are literally packed in like a drug store parking lot in Jersey City. The up side is easy access to NYC via the subway ( a few blocks away) or the ferry comes right to the dock at the marina where the park is. Or you could find a park outside the city and fight the traffic getting into and out of the city everyday, not to mention parking... check out the site, reviews are mixed.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

Just do it.

If you've never been to NYC or the surrounding area then you need to do it. Period. Find a CG somewhere outside of the city, maybe northern Jersey, Orange or Rockland counties in NY or even western Conn. The scenery around those areas is great: Bear Mtn. State Park, West Point, High Point New Jersey. Then, take a train or bus into the city and do what all the tourists do: Statue of Liberty, Museum of Modern Art, Museum of Natural History, Central Park. Geesh, there's just a thousand things to do.

Do NOT drive your rig into the city, it just isn't worth it. Streets are too narrow and too tightly packed with taxis and rental car drivers that just don't care.

I still have friend back there (I grew up in Orange county, just 60 miles from the city) and will ask if they know of any good campgrounds. If I hear I will post back here.
rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #8

X3 on Liberty Harbor, we stayed there a couple of months ago and caught the train into the city, 5-minute walk to the NJ Grove Train Station from the RV Park. Once in the city you can catch other trains, walk or UBER. There is a Ferry right next door but I think it is just commuter hours and then across the water in the Park next door is another Ferry station that goes to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. To get to that Ferry Terminal is quite a walk, I would either take a bike or drive, it’s only a few hundred yards as the crow flies but you have to go around the water so it becomes a couple of miles, (I am guessing, we walked it and it took a while).
As everyone stated it is basically a parking lot with electricity and water but very convenient to go into the city. The bathroom/showers were OK, not good, just OK. So far the visit to NYC was one of the highlights of our trip, just wish we had more time to spend there.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #9

I can see the skyline from some of the high ground where I live... Most of my neighbors commute into or around the city...

Ask away... I will try to help in any way I can....

Camping near the city is very limited... Let me know where you are coming in from and I will give you some suggestions...

Also what kind of rig are you traveling with? Do you need FHU?

Diesel

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #10

I think wherever you decide to stay you want to have mass transit close by to get into and out of the city. You do not want to commute into NYC unless you absolutely have to. I've done it but I was staying in a hotel in the city for several days. I knew where I had to get to and handed car over to valet and did not need until I was ready to leave. It's one thing if you know the city and where you're going but it's all together diffent being a tourist.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post

Russell Attachment 123274
See Post #13 here for my experience with Liberty Harbor RV park. I would NEVER go there again!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-53462-2.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Dieselbobcat, I'm running a 2005 dodge quad cab dually with a 42' coachmen chaparral 5'er on the back, coming from Michigan. I looked up liberty harbor I think I'll wind up at about the limit of space available. Looking at it in Google Earth, the convenience of closeness might not be worth the trouble and stress of getting the rig there. Although driving the dually around town doesn't bother me (I've drove it down duvall st. in Key West), the plan is to use public transit as much as possible. So I'm thinking a campground an hour away wouldn't be that bad, just schedule in the added time.
We will be a total of 5 adults, so no kids to work with. Have already surrendered to the fact this will be an expensive trip, so just have to get an itennerary that gives me that great bang for the buck. Which is probably already out the window as the sis in law wants to see conan brian (who?), and stand in front of the window for the today morning show (huh? ). Maybe I'll let them go into the city and me an the cat will just hang out at the trailer.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote