Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

North Texas to Lakeview, OH

We are planning a trip to pick up our new camper at RVW in Lakeview OH in May and are unsure of what route to take. One route would be through St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Dayton. Another has us going through Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Cincinnatti and Dayton. Any thoughts? Places to avoid at all costs?

I think the link below should work to produce a Google map showing the possible routes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lake...5!2d33.6356618

Thanks in advance.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #2

We have traveled both ways,coin toss on the (Best) depends on (Construction-Delays). Go one way and come home the other,(See the USA in a Chevrolet!) Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Moment

We made that trip last year to pick up our 5th wheel, drove through St.Louis and Indianapolis on the way there, spent the night just west of St Louis. Then came home through Kentucky, Tennesse and Arkansas. Stayed just south of Louisville first night, then visited family in western Ky and spent second night, then stayed in Little Rock before heading home to Weatherford Tx. Was a good chance to test out the new camper. We had planned to stay at the local state park by RVW to make sure we had no problems but they had no hookups in March when we went.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #4

If you are coming through St. Louis, take the by-pass (either I-270 on the north side of the city or I-255 going around the south side.) If it is near rush hour on a weekday, I'd suggest I-255. It is probably a little bit longer but it is a lot less congested. It is also a bit "washboard-y" when you get across the Mississippi River over into Illinois. Better without the trailer than when you are pulling it.

Edit: I'd suggest I-255. It originally said I-55
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Avoid Louisville and Cincinnati during weekday rush hours also. Lots of construction in Dayton, but usually moves fairly well. Be mindful of the road conditions and sudden lane changes when pulling through Dayton.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Old Enough to Know Better

In Indy I-465 can back up at I-65 on the south side at rush times. But the I-65/70 split downtown is congested most of the time, but you get a nice veiw of Lucas Oil Stadium and downtown.
Have Fun
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

In addition to the State Park there are a whole bunch of Private campgrounds that surround the lake RVW should be able to help secure a spot for that first night. Bought our trailer from RVW last year (Dallas). Small problems that were taken care of. Still dealing with a radio issue, and have been in contact with Genesis/Concertone on that issue, and I understand some engineers are trying to resolve it. It may have to do with all of the electronics cramped into a tight space. Something overlooked by the FR engineers.

Good Luck and tell Dallas hello!

Good Luck!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote