Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #21

Congrats on the trips!
I live in a tiny town on the Alaska highway. Some thoughts:
- Once you leave Fort St John there are no shoulders on the road and no rest stops except once every 100km (gas station/general stores except nothing the last 200km) until Fort Nelson so if you need to pull over use caution. No cell service except the same towns along the way (every 100km)
- between the same stretch if you do pull over on a pipeline access road look around at the area for signs in the grass as there may be gas/toxins released in the area from drilling/pipelines (think kids and dogs)
- no 9-1-1 service North from Fort St John so be aware there are local emergency numbers
- once leaving North past Fort Nelson there is nothing until Watson Lake... And Watsons gas stations close at night (learned that one the hard way)
- get your big box shopping in at Dawson Creek or Fort St John (no big box stores til Whitehorse) but there are grocery stores, a hardware store, government and private liquor stores and outdoor/hunting stores still in Fort Nelson just pricey (not due tourist season)
- must do the Liard Hot Springs
- smith falls is nice and quick leg stretch break
- you will see Buffalo / Bison and mountain sheep past Fort Nelson
- you will see Mosquitos and"pinchers" big as birds and in swarms big enough to carry you away
- ANY big troubles with your rig past Fort St John and you're looking at towing. That's the last city with rv repair options until Whitehorse.

Good luck and have fun!

Tibaistabi ~ 2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
Tibaistabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #22

Ready to go (we think)

Thanks for these tips. We have been reading this thead and a similar thread in the RV Forum for about a year now, and it is time to put all this great advice to the test! We leave on Thursday to drive with our trailer from Wisconsin to Alaska. We'll head west first, to visit friends in Bozeman and Kalispel, Montana. Then we turn north, pick up the Alcan in Dawson Creek and eventually take the TOW to cross into Alaska. We are pulling a Rockwood 2109S, which has served us well on trips from Wisconsin to Nova Scotia and from Wisconsin to Utah.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #23

Safe travels and enjoy! If you run into 2 HUGE motorhomes, one an Alpha and the other a Phaeton; plated in Florida and Georgia, tell them you know SilverbackMel on the forum from R Ranch in Georgia.
They are entering Alaska this week and spending considerable time there! Alex ( Alpha) and wife Cristy have been there a few years ago and know the land well.
Have FUN and MAKE MEMORIES. Alex is always good for a cold beer and great conversation...
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibaistabi View Post
Congrats on the trips!
I live in a tiny town on the Alaska highway. Some thoughts:
- Once you leave Fort St John there are no shoulders on the road and no rest stops except once every 100km (gas station/general stores except nothing the last 200km) until Fort Nelson so if you need to pull over use caution. No cell service except the same towns along the way (every 100km)
- between the same stretch if you do pull over on a pipeline access road look around at the area for signs in the grass as there may be gas/toxins released in the area from drilling/pipelines (think kids and dogs)
- no 9-1-1 service North from Fort St John so be aware there are local emergency numbers
- once leaving North past Fort Nelson there is nothing until Watson Lake... And Watsons gas stations close at night (learned that one the hard way)
- get your big box shopping in at Dawson Creek or Fort St John (no big box stores til Whitehorse) but there are grocery stores, a hardware store, government and private liquor stores and outdoor/hunting stores still in Fort Nelson just pricey (not due tourist season)
- must do the Liard Hot Springs
- smith falls is nice and quick leg stretch break
- you will see Buffalo / Bison and mountain sheep past Fort Nelson
- you will see Mosquitos and"pinchers" big as birds and in swarms big enough to carry you away
- ANY big troubles with your rig past Fort St John and you're looking at towing. That's the last city with rv repair options until Whitehorse.

Good luck and have fun!

Tibaistabi ~ 2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
Great advice. Thanks for sharing.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #25

Did the Alaskan Hwy in 2006. Agree that the Milepost is invaluable.

We found that the later in the summer the better the roads as a lot of repairs were nearly finished in August

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
One of your original questions regarding spare tires - Your trailer will be 6 years old when you start the trip, the tires could be older. Why not install all new tires before you go, and take the best 2 old tires with you as spares. Make sure your trailer bearings and brakes are in good condition and carry a spare set of bearings too (along with grease, a cotter key and a wrench to fit the nut). Spare light bulbs for the trailer and truck, etc. My theory is that if you have it you won't need it, but the opposite is also true.

This sounds like a great plan!
Puglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #27

Alaska

X3. Desolate areas. I am sure some major roads are pretty lonely after dark sitting in a jacked up RV!
That's WHY the brochures call it;
ALASKAN ADVENTURE 😃
Old 06-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #28

To all the folks who have made this trek -- when is the Best time to catch the Northern Lights.

We are planning for 2018, right after we retire our route will be AL->TX-> NM,= to visit friends then meander North and into Canada from Iowa and head to Dawson's Creek and Mile 0. We have no real schedule but wanted to be in Fairbanks to see the Northern lights and out of Alaska before the snow starts

Advice appreciated!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
To all the folks who have made this trek -- when is the Best time to catch the Northern Lights.

We are planning for 2018, right after we retire our route will be AL->TX-> NM,= to visit friends then meander North and into Canada from Iowa and head to Dawson's Creek and Mile 0. We have no real schedule but wanted to be in Fairbanks to see the Northern lights and out of Alaska before the snow starts

Advice appreciated!
You won't see the Northern lights in the summertime...it's never dark enough. I lived in Anchorage (Elmendorf Air Force Base) from 90-95 and Delta Junction (Fort Greely Army Post) 2007-2008.

This is a very helpful website that the University of Alaska Fairbanks updates with predictions on Northern Light activity...it's pretty accurate but not 100%. (When I was up there, I learned that there's actually different types of Northern Lights and colors and they do different things...it's fascinating!)

Tips for those with animals: Your fur babies ARE in the food chain up there and the huge bald eagles have no problem swooping down and getting dogs for lunch. (It's in the papers every spring when the RV's starting coming in.)

Aurora Forecast | Geophysical Institute
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:00 AM   #30

We are in Fairbanks on our way to Denali. We came into Canada from Montana, north of Whitefish, then drove up through Banff and Jasper to Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek. We followed the Alaska Highway to White Horse, then detoured down to Skagway and Haines before heading back north through White Horse to Dawson City, with another detour north to Tombstone Provincial Park about 50 miles up the Dempster Highway. We drove the TOW to Chicken, Alaska and drove from there to Fairbanks. We have not pushed hard, taking six weeks to do this much and staying two or three nights in several places. What a trip so far! Our 2109s has performed flawlessly, over gravel and mud roads that sometimes felt like they would shake it apart, not to mention frost heaves that have given it some serious bounces. We have boondocked for as many as 3 nights with no issues, although we out in LED lights and use as a Little Buddy propane heater(with a little ventilation) to conserve the battery. The 2109s is a great little trailer for this trip, even if we are dwarfed by all the big rigs that we see!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #31

Quote:
This is on our bucket list to do when we retire in 2-ish years

X2 on your desire to caravan - I have not found a source, but I can't imagine that there is NOT a listserv somewhere for folks making the AlCan run. If you find a source (or those who have done the AlCan know of a list, let us know!

Another resource for you is a book I bought to start my research: Adventure Guide to the Alaska Highway by Ed & Lynn Readicker-Henderson (you can get it as a ePub in iBooks)
Start one here! Not for this year, but maybe next year. If a lot of people are interested, they can jump into the caravan along the way. E.g., someone from Atlanta starts out, meets up with a few others in CO, then some more in WY, then MT etc.

I might be interested. I'm sure my Malamutes would be

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #32

Lists help

When planning a caravan, especially to outpost areas, determine needs and experiences of those traveling.

Not all encompassing but things such as:
EMT or RN
Gas engine expertise
diesel as above
Wheels, brakes and bearings
Hydraulic systems
Electrical
And on and on.
Preparation is half the fun and will enhance the experience for all.
Gather as much info as you can about
Each area you plan to visit.
Know the LAWS of Canada if you plan a stop in Banff or anywhere in Canada.
Pets; guns; prescriptions etc.
Do not guess about anything which cause your group grief and delay.
Know which roads are unpaved. If someone needs a tow, are credit cards acceptable for the incredibly high fees ?
Start a book and adjust as the plan develops.
We have 2 couples ( good friends) in big diesel rigs in Skagway area right now. One, a Phaeton broke down. They were stuck for 2 nights as Freightliner shipped repair parts. They had to leave their rig and stayed at the Marriott.
Just say'n.....plan for most common problems and consider how the person will pay to remedy it and re join the group.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #33

Good info. Strange is I know what is needed to bring a shotgun (or even a handgun) into Canada (Canadian Possession and Acquisition License - shotgun or a ATT - for a handgun); but completely forgot about what would be needed for the dogs. And I guess it is just a rabies vaccination certificate with The rabies vaccination certificate must:
be written in English or French; be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian; identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight); state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies; indicate the date of vaccination; indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).

Guess the tag around their necks would not be enough.

But all is good information.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Start one here! Not for this year, but maybe next year. If a lot of people are interested, they can jump into the caravan along the way. E.g., someone from Atlanta starts out, meets up with a few others in CO, then some more in WY, then MT etc.

ROTFLMAO -- Maybe we can use them to Mush out of a bad situation

GOOD IDEA F5 - I will start it - can't Start TOO early!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Good info. Strange is I know what is needed to bring a shotgun (or even a handgun) into Canada (Canadian Possession and Acquisition License - shotgun or a ATT - for a handgun); but completely forgot about what would be needed for the dogs. And I guess it is just a rabies vaccination certificate with The rabies vaccination certificate must:
be written in English or French; be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian; identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight); state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies; indicate the date of vaccination; indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).

Guess the tag around their necks would not be enough.

But all is good information.
I KNOW this is a touchy subject on the forums so if this irritates you please move on

What are the requirements for bringing in a Pistol to Canada F5? I thought that was totally out of the question?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #36

I'll PM you.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #37

Quote:

I would love to caravan to Alaska, but can't for 2 or 3 more years! 😞 so maybe Yall can do it next year, then tweak it for the next year! 😉
Puglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #38

If I go, it will be next year, but the logistics are crazy, and that isn't for the trip, that is for someone to watch the house, cut the grass, etc. The logistics for the trip won't be that difficult.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #39

We leave in the morning for Alaska. Can't wait to get gowing. We will be picking up my sister in Talkeetna and touring with her.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
I KNOW this is a touchy subject on the forums so if this irritates you please move on

What are the requirements for bringing in a Pistol to Canada F5? I thought that was totally out of the question?
bsf5044: Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

All there at link! Short answer no.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote